Cruising Out of Tampa for the First Time - Advice?

jlforester

As our Miracle cruise date approaches, I thought I'd ask for some pointers from some other cruisers who have sailed out of Tampa.

Up until this cruise, we've purchased the Carnival transfers to/from the airport/hotel and made all the flight and hotel arrangements through Carnival. This time, we booked only the cruise through Carnival and made the flight and pre-cruise hotel stay arrangements ourselves. Not a big deal. We're going to be staying at the Spring Hill Suites, Westshore and I read that they will assist with making arrangements for transportation to the port. What is a good time to arrive at the port. I've heard that embarkation has started as early as 11:30.

When the cruise is over, how hard is it to find a taxi? If there is a home football game in Tampa that weekend, is it harder to find a cab? Or should I just purchase airport transfers from Carnival?

Yep, you can board sometimes as early as 11:30. We couldn't start boarding until around 12:30 but it was delayed that day because the Miracle was being presented with an award of some kind. Taxi's are easy after the cruise. Just walk right out side the terminal and there will be a line for them. We didn't have to wait very long.

As our Miracle cruise date approaches, I thought I'd ask for some pointers from some other cruisers who have sailed out of Tampa.

Up until this cruise, we've purchased the Carnival transfers to/from the airport/hotel and made all the flight and hotel arrangements through Carnival. This time, we booked only the cruise through Carnival and made the flight and pre-cruise hotel stay arrangements ourselves. Not a big deal. We're going to be staying at the Spring Hill Suites, Westshore and I read that they will assist with making arrangements for transportation to the port. What is a good time to arrive at the port. I've heard that embarkation has started as early as 11:30.

When the cruise is over, how hard is it to find a taxi? If there is a home football game in Tampa that weekend, is it harder to find a cab? Or should I just purchase airport transfers from Carnival?

We just did this in October. You will love the Westshore area. We stayed at the Embassy Suites there. We walked across the street to the Westshore mall a couple of times (since we flew in 2 days early). The hotel will call a taxi for you Sunday morning. Our hotel used ADDI taxi service which was wonderful. We left for the port around 10am. It is an easy drive on Sunday morning. No traffic. You are about 8 miles from the port and cost us $20 from the hotel.

Tampa is a nice port. The taxi will take you into a "cove" where porters will pick up your luggage (and your tip). You walk inside the doors and up the escalator to the processing floor. We had VIP Check In so we were in a different waiting area. But we have been at both and both are nice and comfortable. We boarded around 11:30am (best as I can recall). Carnival asks you not to go to your cabin until 1:30pm. They generally have the fire doors to the hallways closed (but not locked). We simply went up to Lido...got comfy and had lunch while we waited. At 1:30pm, we headed to our cabin and dropped our carry ons. Then walked around.

We had a wonderful time on the Miracle. She is a great ship with excellent staff. When you return, taxis will be all over waiting to take you to the airport. It was $22 to the airport. We had a taxi literally in seconds after coming out the door.

Have a great cruise!!

Yep, you can board sometimes as early as 11:30. We couldn't start boarding until around 12:30 but it was delayed that day because the Miracle was being presented with an award of some kind. Taxi's are easy after the cruise. Just walk right out side the terminal and there will be a line for them. We didn't have to wait very long.

The Miracle won the Eagle Award for 2005. This is the award given by Carnival to the one ship that did the best in comment card scoring for the year out of their entire fleet.

We just did this in October. You will love the Westshore area. We stayed at the Embassy Suites there. We walked across the street to the Westshore mall a couple of times (since we flew in 2 days early). The hotel will call a taxi for you Sunday morning. Our hotel used ADDI taxi service which was wonderful. We left for the port around 10am. It is an easy drive on Sunday morning. No traffic. You are about 8 miles from the port and cost us $20 from the hotel.

Tampa is a nice port. The taxi will take you into a "cove" where porters will pick up your luggage (and your tip). You walk inside the doors and up the escalator to the processing floor. We had VIP Check In so we were in a different waiting area. But we have been at both and both are nice and comfortable. We boarded around 11:30am (best as I can recall). Carnival asks you not to go to your cabin until 1:30pm. They generally have the fire doors to the hallways closed (but not locked). We simply went up to Lido...got comfy and had lunch while we waited. At 1:30pm, we headed to our cabin and dropped our carry ons. Then walked around.

We had a wonderful time on the Miracle. She is a great ship with excellent staff. When you return, taxis will be all over waiting to take you to the airport. It was $22 to the airport. We had a taxi literally in seconds after coming out the door.

Have a great cruise!!

I spent a week in Tampa about 9-10 years ago and stayed in the Embassy Suites. I remember the mall across the road...I ate in a cafeteria there a couple of times. I remember it being pretty good. There was a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse a couple of miles down the road, too. I'm looking forward to revisiting Tampa.

I cruise every year with Carnival in a large group, and some of the people with us have trouble standing in long lines for hours. I think we have had 2 really bad years in a row (Long Beach and Fort Lauderdale), in that there was hours and hours of waiting outside in the hot sun with no where to sit.

Could someone please tell me what to expect in Tampa. Can we go inside? Are there seats while waiting. How long did it take from arrival at the terminal to being on board the miracle?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'd also love to know from recent Miracle cruisers: Did you tender or dock in Cozumel? Were there any time changes on board (Did they ask you to set your watch back or forward?). Thanks.

Linda,

We were on the Miracle in May, and as far as I know from being on CC they are still tendering in Cozumel. They have opened another dock now so chances of getting in the rotation are better. The Tampa port building is pretty nice actually, we were VIP also, but the other room had plenty of seating from what I could see. We also began boarding at 11:30. Also they tell you to keep your watch on ship time always. Have a great time, the Miracle is a great ship. It really is no wonder they won the Eagle award.

Jess

We were on the Miracle in May...great ship...great cruise. We tendered in Cozumel and stayed on ship time throughout the cruise. The Port of Tampa is lovely. Have a great time. If you are past-Carnival cruisers, don't miss the past-cruisers party, the senior officers are very interesting and engaging.

We sailed on the Miracle out of Tampa on Oct. 8. We stayed at the Doubletree Westshore the nigt before. The hotel picked us up at the airport, drove us to the Mall for dinner(Cheesecake Factory), took us to the port, and even picked us up at the port after the cruise and took us to the airport, all free of charge. The rooms were $89 a night. Great deal with the free transportation. We arrived at the port at 11:45 and were on the ship eating by 12:30. Have a great trip, we sure did.

When I've cruised out of Tampa on the Inspiration, the line has usually been pretty short. There will be a brief line outdoors to get through security; it is shaded & covered so it is not too bad heat-wise & you're protected from rain. If it is particularly long & you don't want to wait, you can always go have a drink at one of the places in the Channelside complex (an entertainment complex of restaurants, bars, shops, bowling, theatre); the cruise docks & their entrance are a part of this complex.

Once you've cleared security, you'll get in line at the checkin desk. There is ample seating in that area for those who can't stand for long periods.

I'd guess the longest time frame I've had was maybe 15 minutes to clear security, then 20 to 30 minutes max at the checkin counter.

Getting a cab on Sunday should be no problem, even if it is a day with a home football game. The vast majority of fans at the Bucs games are hometown season ticket holders & drive themselves to the stadium.

Thanks for all the advice! With only 10 days to go, I'm getting excited!

My worst checkin experience was last year for the Liberty. DHS held up boarding, and we were in line for over 2.5 hours. The checkin line extended outside and around the building, and there was no place to sit or any cover from the sun until you got to the room outside where the Carnival agents were. It was just miserable.

My best experience was (of all places) in Miami, but our flight arrived late and it was nearly 2:30 before we got to the port. By that time most people were already on board and we spent less than 30 minutes in line.

We sailed out of Tampa Oct. 23. Stayed at Embassy Suites who had a shuttle from the airport. Taxi to the port was $20. Embarkation was a breeze. Arrived at the port around 11:30 and was on the ship within 30 minutes. Very nice port area.

Archived