Freeport, Nassau questions for those in the know

heyitsmejudy

We'll be in Freeport Christmas day and Nassau the 26th. I think we'll get to Nassau in time to catch some Junkanoo action.

I'm starting to get concerned that there won't be much open in Freeport at all (excursions included) and that a lot will be closed the 26th. Can anyone give me info on what to expect? I realize the two depend on tourists and there will be things open, but what can I expect to miss?

Scubagirl needs to answer the specifics on this question since she lives in Nassau and should know what's typically open. That said, on any given Sunday most stores in the Bahamas are closed so I'd expect that everything will be closed on the 25th (Christmas) and 26th (Boxing Day). I can remember being in Barbados on a Good Friday and everything was closed and our excursion cancelled. BobK/Orlando

We'll be in Freeport Christmas day and Nassau the 26th. I think we'll get to Nassau in time to catch some Junkanoo action.

I'm starting to get concerned that there won't be much open in Freeport at all (excursions included) and that a lot will be closed the 26th. Can anyone give me info on what to expect? I realize the two depend on tourists and there will be things open, but what can I expect to miss?

Since downtown Nassau will be stacked with Bleachers for Junkanoo, not many stores will be opened on Boxing Day. That being said, you may find some side road stores, or those by the wharf still opened.. for limited hours, especially if the ships are in.

Don't look for the big jewelry stores to be opened, most are along the parade route and stands and close for security reasons.

On Paradise Island, I'm sure that the stores at Marina Village will be opened.

Quite a few excursions will be running. Perhaps more limited, but you'll find something to do, I'm sure.

Archived