New Celebrity "Journey" Cruise Ship

MJN&JC

My Fiance and I are also taking the cruise to Bermuda in June to be married. We are leaving from Cape Liberity on June 9th. How about you? We have 20-30 guests coming along with us as well. I do think we have lucked out with getting the Journey. My only worry is the ship capacity is so much smaller. I'm hoping there is no way we will be bumped. We are having our wedding ceramony at a hotel, so we don't want to lose our money. Does anyone know if the itinerary has changed?

The marketplace has shown that this particular R-build does very well.. and commands higher per diems; Ssmething which has alluded Celebrity in their attempt to become a "premium" cruiseline. The "premium" market is not about children's facilities, family cabins, run of the mill Caribbean itineraries, cruising for "everyperson". It is all about niche cruising.

I think that's part of the grounds for complaint. We don't WANT X to charge higher per diems (or at least I don't). What makes it an attractive option is that it offers a somewhat more upscale product in terms of food and service at a very reasonable price. Lots of people prefer it to the economy lines (e.g. NCL, RCCL and Carnival) because it is nicer. People prefer it to the luxury lines because it is cheaper. Well, if the price stops being reasonable, then what is the upside of X? Why wouldn't people either choose the cheap cruise or the truly upscale cruise instead?

i've sailed twice with celebrity, once on the zenith and once on the horizon. i am booked on the october 13th 2007 zenith sailing which has now become the journey sailing. i loved the zenith and was really looking forward to sailing her again. i don't know what to think of the new ship. i do have a couple of concerns. first thing is the size. both previous cruises to bermuda in october were very rocky, i mean VERY ROCKY. i don't know how a smaller ship will fair. second concern is that both my hubby and i are oveweight and the pictures that i saw online so far doesn't seem to be very friendly for overweight people. smaller rooms, chairs with arms and very flimsy lounge chairs at the pool can spell disaster for someone with a little extra weight. a ship with 700, you have to hope that you get to cruise with fun people, otherwise it could become very boring. i did read that each cabin has butler service, that sounds really nice. i think i have to wait for celebrity to update their website and their brochures until i make my decision. i hope it works out for everyone:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how big the bathrooms are on the Journey? Are they the same size as the Zenith? If anyone has pictures/photos of an oceanview room/bathroom area please post them. Am booked for Bermuda 6/16/07. Thanks!:)
From what I've heard, the bathrooms in the standard staterooms are roughly 3' x 5'8".... wide enough to walk in. *lol*

I'm wondering about the reason behind the Xpeditions label..

For anyone holding 100 shares of RCCL stock:

5. Can I use the offer each time I sail?

Yes, you may request this offer multiple times- as often as you sail on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity Cruises (Excludes Celebrity Xpeditions). Reservations must be booked no longer than May 1, 2007.

If anyone was expecting this perk of $100 on a Zenith one week cruise, will it be applicable for transferees as well as future bookings???

I just spoke to the Captain's Club rep - she checked and my Stockholder's credit as well as my onboard booking credit transferred to Journey.

The new brand is called Expeditions - not Xpedition like the ship. Maybe that's the reason the credit transferred. Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

i received an interesting e-mail from my travel agent regarding the journey she received this info straight from celebrity. here's the update.

no formal nights- country club casual

no disco yet

open seating for meals

new upgraded bedding

2 new restaurants

butler service in every room- unpacking in suites only

lcd-plasma tv's in every room

i'm confused, i thought they were going for more elegant. i'm booked for oct 13th, and i ca't wait:D :D :D :D

please post any updates

i just booked 2 sky suites for the 8/4/07 sailing on journey to bermuda. i was informed by the celebrity travel representative that the ship has children's facilites and the ship mates club for kids 3 to 17. i'm hearing and viewing so many conflicting information about this ship, though. has anyone seen the ship yet? when will x post the pictures? i have to say that i am a bit concerned that this ship will not be what i am used to with celebrity. i am bringing 3 kids, ages 7, 4 and 2 with me. there better be something for them to do. i don't want to switch cruise lines. i've gotten so usd to x and have always had a great time, especially with kids.

Take a good look at your brochure and see that these ships are not "typical" ships.... and are not being promoted for the children, although they will have things for them to do. The Journey and Quest are smaller ships, less passengers for more attantion. A sophisticated crowd. Specialty restaurants, AquaSpa, adult pampering, gourmet cuisine... in short, called the "Celebrity Treatment". If casual elegance is what you are seeking, then this is the right choice for you. I have not seen any recommendations for this ship directed toward families with small children.... Call your TA again and ask about the children's program in detail.... Hope that helps.

Adding: "While Celebrity is frankly adult-oriented, their Club X program offers excellent activities for children year-round. Youth activities are arranged by age groups, which vary between high and low seasons: Shipmates, 3-6, Celebrity Cadets, 7-9, Ensigns, 10-12 and Admiral T's, 13-15 and 16-17. 18 year olds are welcome to use the teen facilities. The youth program maintains the same hours whether in port or at sea: 9 a.m. to noon; 2 to 5:30 p.m.; and 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. Group babysitting is available in the youth room for children ages three to 12, from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m., at a fee of $6 per hour per child. Private babysitting is available in your stateroom for $8 per hour per child, with a maximum of two. When Mother and Pop are scheduled to dine formally, "Parents' Nights Out," are declared, and youth counselors take children to a pizza party, at no extra charge."

country club casual does not mean less elegant. In fact O ships were more elegant w/o formal nights than our 4 cruises on X ships. Unless X is adding some children's features, these ships had no facilities for children (having been on 2 r class ships, Regatta and Tahitian Princess).

country club casual does not mean less elegant. In fact O ships were more elegant w/o formal nights than our 4 cruises on X ships. Unless X is adding some children's features, these ships had no facilities for children (having been on 2 r class ships, Regatta and Tahitian Princess).

In reviewing the different ship plans, it looks like X has not added children's features to the Journey (so far). Wouldn't it be called "the fun factory"? Unless they set up one of the lounges as a multi-purpose area? What is "Discoveries"? it's right next to the martini lounge.

Thanks! :)

Took an Oceania cruise last spring and hated it! Many of the reasons I hated the ship was because we thought it was gaudy and tacky and just plain ugly - brocade, bright floral carpets, flocked wallpaper, fake gold paint on every available surface, etc. The cabins were okay and so was the balcony. The bath was okay. If Journey can lose the ugly carpets and ugly public room furnishings, we might consider her. I prefer minimal decor (Westin hotels) and/or understated (English country house) elegance.

From what little I've seen of the Journey and Quest deck plans, either looking at Oceania's ships or Pullmantur's deck plans, I don't see anything that looks like areas for children's activities, yet. Celebrity has good children's programs on all of their other ships. If they don't have them on these two ships, I would make plans accordingly and choose a different ship.

There is nothing wrong with Celebrity trying to reach out to all segements of cruisers. I don't think they are trying to exclude anyone from enjoying cruising, in fact, I think they are becoming more versatile.

I love children -- but for a two week vacation -- I would like to try it once without children and this may give me that opportunity. Just my own opinion.

I noticed just yesterday....and it may have been that way for awhile so I'm not saying it's new....that Celebrity has broken Journey and Quest into a separate "class" called the Journey Class. Seems to me the original ads, news releases, etc., advertised the Journey and Quest as an expansion of the Xpedition Class. Could be that Celebrity is still developing their marketing approach for these two "new" ships. Will say that I've seen no information that mentions or suggests that the two ships are family oriented. Of course, that said, I've seen nothing that says they're not family oriented. Looking through the Pullmantur site doesn't help much as their deck plans don't have a lot of detail to them. We saw the Blue Moon, soon to be the Quest, a few weeks ago in Isla De Margarita but obviously couldn't tell much from just standing on the dock looking at her. We also had no idea of the upcoming switch and didn't find out about the Quest until we'd been home a week so the Blue Moon was just another ship to us. About our only observation was that it was obviously one of the recycled R's as it looked exactly like the Minerva II we'd seen in Barbados just a couple of days earlier.

Could be but right now the Celebrity website, under the Ships listing, shows Journey Class and Xpedition Class but no Expedition Class. Journey Class specifically lists the Journey and Quest. However, I have seen, though I don't have them at my finger tips, references to Celebrity's Expedition Class that includes all three ships. Beats me. :o

Xpedition is the class. Not Expedition.

As far as the OP statement, OP stated the reason the cruiselien is cutting back on the welcome aboard drink. Waste, people take it have a sip and put it down or give it back. OP said they thought that they where drinks nobody wanted. It is a waste, just like the people who go through the buffet lines take alot of food then only eat alittle.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I guess we'll all have to wait until someone comes back from the first sailing and, hopefully, posts pictures and reviews. As far as the ship size, we sailed on the Meridian to Bermuda from NY 3 times and let me tell you that small ship handled better than the Zenith during bad weather. Sure do miss her!

Could be but right now the Celebrity website, under the Ships listing, shows Journey Class and Xpedition Class but no Expedition Class. Journey Class specifically lists the Journey and Quest. However, I have seen, though I don't have them at my finger tips, references to Celebrity's Expedition Class that includes all three ships. Beats me. :o

You may have seen the three ships listed together in the 07/08 Celebrity

Expeditions Brochure. They are not referred to as a class, but rather as

The Celebrity Expeditions Fleet.

Mari:)

That's probably it.....that certainly rings a bell. :) I have a stack of HAL and Celebrity brochures at home, some I've not looked at in a few weeks. It was an email from Celebrity a few days ago on the Journey and Quest that really got our attention. Without talking to each other my wife and I both picked the same cruise. A sure indication, at least for us, that that's the one we should book. I probably didn't look too hard at the Expedition brochure as we haven't had any interest in Xpedition cruises.

There are several deck plans for the two new ships based on dates. What is changing? I scanned and did not see much difference. I know some of you have really studied the deck plans and would know the answer off the top of your head. :)

Archived