Gate 1, anyone?

jettaleea

• 4 weeks later...

ok, so i know there was a possible virus outbreak onboard --but not too many people were sick(at least that I could tell). and some of the people that were sick may have had some bad breakfast one day(when we were in Vienna). but has anyone gotten sick since?

my husband and i have both been extremely ill since and during the last of our flights home on jan 2nd.

We are just trying to narrow it down as to what got us sick because it could be from food poisoning on our flight back to the states from munich. or we caught whatever was spreading around the ship.

trip itself was fantastic! can't wait to do it again!

addie

• 3 weeks later...

:) We had a great time on our river cruise. Regarding the stomach virus,

3 out of 4 people in our party caught it. One was sick before the breakfast in Vienna and the other two caught it over two successive days. At least 20 people on the cruise were sick out of about 180 (just from the people that we asked) and people were still getting sick on the last day of the cruise. Fortunately, it was 12-24 hours for most people and it everyone we talked to still enjoyed their trip. The crew worked hard to contain the virus, but as anyone who travels on cruises knows, this can be difficult if it is a norovirus. Dress was informal for most of the trip; of course, people were dressier for New Year's Eve. Food was very good; rooms were small but larger than expected with LOTS of storage space. The highlight had to be the New Year's Eve celebration on the top deck in front of the Budapest Parliament building with fireworks going on. The main complaint that I heard of was that there wasn't enough layover time for many of the ports (primarily due to a discrepancy from what Gate 1 listed as the itinery and the time the boat crew was actually able to spend at the various ports. Hopefully, Gate 1 will update to the correct

itinery for those going on future cruises.

Regarding which level or room to choose, I believe all rooms are supposed to be exactly the same - the only difference is whether you have a porthole, French doors, or balcony. We had a porthole which was very large and felt very comfortable.

Tipping did add alot to the cost at the end - recommended by the ship was $10 per person per day for all the ship crew and $6 per person per day for your cruise director. Would I do it again? We love the freedom of

traveling on our own and choosing how long and where to spend our time but it was nice to travel to different places without having to pack and unpack and having someone else organize the trip.

The good news and the bad news was that almost all the passengers were American - good, because everyone spoke English but bad, because you loose out on the opportunity to meet people from all over the world.

Archived