Better to book directly from NCL or agent?

ellinger

Hi All,

Sorry if this question has already been answered in the past, but in general is it better to book by calling the number listed on the NCL website, or through a 3rd party agent/website?

I'm assuming that rates may be better since you are booking directly with them. However, since yesterday, the rates have gone up already to 749 (from 699 - this is for the 12/31 sailing aboard the Jewel) on the NCL site. Since we're students, we're gonna try sticking with the interior rooms to get the best deal possible (although one of my friends is deaf - do they have staterooms reserved for the hearing impaired and would we be able to get an upgrade?)

Anyway, thanks for any comments or suggestions! This is my first time booking a cruise on my own so I'm still learning the ropes. :-P

Actually the rate you get from a TA is the same as from NCL, since we contact them and get whatever the current rate is. It cost nothing to use a TA and you have an advocate who can do all the work for you. Plus if you use a local TA, you're helping a hometown business. I know we get a lot of business because of helping with different charitable causes in our town.

Take care,

Michael

Some people enjoy taking care of the booking themselves, so they use NCl.

Me? To book up the sun I used an ONLINE TA, which I won't do again. However, I will try to book up through a local TA on my next cruise. That way I can take advantage of price differences and such, and I will also have someone in my corner if something goes wrong (nothing did this last time, but it's good to know, right?)

Thanks for the advice!

I just looked at the prices for a local TA, and they seem really good (706 CDN), but then there's this NCCF Fee of 189 CDN and Govt Fees of 75 CDN which bumps up the total by quite a bit.

Meanwhile, I ran a quote on Travelocity and I'm quoted 749 USD (which is higher than the 706 CDN), but only one "Taxes and Fee" of 88 USD (much lower than the NCCF and Govt Fees).

I'm confused. Am I getting different fees and taxes depending on which country I'm booking from?

Actually the rate you get from a TA is the same as from NCL, since we contact them and get whatever the current rate is. It cost nothing to use a TA and you have an advocate who can do all the work for you. Plus if you use a local TA, you're helping a hometown business. I know we get a lot of business because of helping with different charitable causes in our town.

Take care,

Michael

I agree if you are not sure book with a TA - you will never pay more then direct and have someone to work any issues. I book direct only because I like to control my booking and not have to reach a third party to do what I can do myself.

As fare as hearing impaired rooms - all the Handicapped cabins have flashing alerts for the door, phone, and fire alarms. There are only a few in each cabin category so most are booked early.

Check out the deck plan for the ship for cabins with a black square I believe there are only 5 inside HC cabins.

Thanks for the advice!

I just looked at the prices for a local TA, and they seem really good (706 CDN), but then there's this NCCF Fee of 189 CDN and Govt Fees of 75 CDN which bumps up the total by quite a bit.

Meanwhile, I ran a quote on Travelocity and I'm quoted 749 USD (which is higher than the 706 CDN), but only one "Taxes and Fee" of 88 USD (much lower than the NCCF and Govt Fees).

I'm confused. Am I getting different fees and taxes depending on which country I'm booking from?

Here is the total price you should be seeing from everyone. Some sites include the NCF in the advertised price some add it later. In the end the total should be the same unless it is a group cruise or the TA is kicking back a little of their commission. Insurance is optional. Price is USD

Invoice ItemGuest 1Guest 2All Guests

GOVERNMENT TAX 87.57 87.57 175.14

INSURANCE 89.00 89.00 178.00

NCF 140.00 140.00 280.00

VOYAGE FARE 609.00 609.00 1,218.00

Guest Total925.57 925.57 1,851.14

Wow, thanks Shoreguy! Thanks for the breakdown explaination. Now it makes sense why I'm seeing all these different prices quoted.

So I guess now it just comes down to whether I want to pay in US or CDN dollars.

I think I'm gonna give my TA a call now. :-P

Last Saturday friends we are cruising with got a phone call from NCL with an offer to upsell to an Owners' Suite. They took the offer. They had booked direct with NCL. They also asked if we would be getting a phone call. NCL asked if we had booked direct. After NCL had confirmed that we did, our friends were told that we would get a call. We received the call, but were not home. My daughter talked to them. They would not leave any type of call back and the call came in as out of area on the caller ID. They told her that they would call back in one hour if no one else accepted the offer. We never heard back.

We had received an earlier offer via e-mail with contact info. We took that upgrade. This time they obviously wanted an immediate answer. If it is true that they wouldn't contact a T/A booked passenger directly, I don't think they would have gone through a T/A for this upgrade.

I would assume a handicap cabin would not be looking for any type of upgrade.

Having booked both ways, I prefer to do it myself. I got a really good deal on this latest cruise through an online company, so I had to take it. NCL's price wasn't even close. I got my edocs a couple of days ago, and noticed that we were all listed as NP (New Passengers, I guess) even though we are all Latitudes members. I picked up the phone and called the Latitudes number before I even thought about it. A very nice lady looked up my reservation and told me I had to change it through my TA, which I had forgotten I even had. My fault completely. But I did have to call them, explain again what happened and stay on hold while he called NCL to add our numbers to the reservation. I understand the process but it's just something I can do on my own. I would always rather be in control of my booking. :)

We had received an earlier offer via e-mail with contact info. We took that upgrade. This time they obviously wanted an immediate answer. If it is true that they wouldn't contact a T/A booked passenger directly, I don't think they would have gone through a T/A for this upgrade.

I would assume a handicap cabin would not be looking for any type of upgrade.

Not true, the advantage of having a TA in this instance would be that they would be there to take the call:) You would have given instructions to your TA on price points and Cat. if you were not home when the TA called you the TA could give permission to NCL on the upsell.

I have had many calls for upsells:)

Not true, the advantage of having a TA in this instance would be that they would be there to take the call:) You would have given instructions to your TA on price points and Cat. if you were not home when the TA called you the TA could give permission to NCL on the upsell.

I have had many calls for upsells:)

What if the TA gives permission but the client cannot afford the upsell?

NCL would call a TA during business hours;)

I feel like this is getting into a p***ing contest and I don't mean for that to happen. What I have described is what happened last Saturday. I would like your perspective on how things would have happened had a T/A who doesn't work Saturdays been used.

Do you think T/A's would have been contacted first? I have to admit that because of what happened, I would plan to book direct in the future. I like my T/A and would like to use her, but feel that I could miss out on a possible upsell in the future.

I have found T/A's can get a better deal. I booked my next cruise ( NCL Sun ) with an online and the price difference betwwen NCL and a T/A ( 2 adults , 2 kids ) was $700 US. And yes that included port/tax..As far as doing all the leg work your self , I do to, then I call a T/A. Where's the down side ?

MPK

Some local TAs will actually charge more than the cruise line. Best prices on all cruises are obtained from cruise discounters. I just booked NCL Gem for 2008 and saved about $200 per person over what NCL quoted me.

Also, most people will advise not to buy cruise line insurance. Usually much more expensive and coverage is not really good. For example, $10,000 Medical or $10,000 emergency evacuation is way, way too little coverage. A real emergency evacuation could cost way more than $10,000. Not sure what NCL offers, but check it out. In my opinion, cancelling a cruise is the least important part of the insurance, unless you have booked the Garden Suite or similar accomodations at $35,000 per person.

I usually do my own booking online in the middle of the night, then call to get the Lattitudes and union discounts settlesd, then transfer it to TA Fabuloso.

That way, I get my price, but I have my "White Knight" to take care of any problems that may crop up.

And we do get the upsell call.....Out of six NCL cruises, we've been offered a garden villa four times.

Archived