Order wine by the glass?

mexico5

Hi, me again. I have the list of bottles of wine for purchase but I was wondering this. My husband does not really like wine and frowns when I order a bottle for myself LOL so in the dining rooms, can I order just a glass of white for myself? Or do most people order a bottle and if they do not finish it, they have it another night? Is it cheaper that way? The only white I like is a Sauvignon Blanc so I am hoping and praying they have it by the glass, if not, I will order the bottle.

Thanks!

I bet my husband wishes I would take that long to finish a bottle!

Thanks and I think I will order a bottle. Just curious if anyone remembers if they ordered a glass of sauvingon blanc? No worries though, as long as there is a bottle of it!

mexico5, it depends on how particular you are about your wine. I like wine but don't drink it very often. I order it by the glass, now and again.........but then, I do not have a very sophisticated palate, and have even ordered champagne by the glass! :eek: :eek:

Hi, I have also ordered champagne by the glass!

I am terribly fussy about my whites. I will only drink a Sauvignon Blanc(preferably from New Zealand, Australia, California). I do not know anything about wine and just went to a vineyard in Sonoma where they taught you about it, how to swish it around, etc... My only concern is the taste! I don't care if it is $10.00/bottle or $50.00/bottle. Just like art, don't know much about it, just know what I like!

Some whites just give me wicked headache(hate Chardonnay). Of course it could be the quantity I drank!

I was going to post that my favorite wines were from Australia and New Zealand, but I thought I might get bopped on the head by a California Cork!!!! I don't like sweet wines..............not that I know anything about them, but do like Ste Chappelle Chardonnay from Washington State..........I just stick with what I enjoy.........and I never move my furniture around either!! :o

Try some Pinot Grigio (Italian or Calif) at home. It is equivalent to Sauvignon Blanc. If you like it, on the ship you will find some well priced Pinot Grigio. Aslo -- bottle v/s glass: If you drink only one glass, ordering by the glass will be slightly more expensive but you can try a different wine each evening instead of the same wine on successive days. Also you may wish to carry a bottle or two of your favorite wines with you. /Sultan

I bet my husband wishes I would take that long to finish a bottle!

Thanks and I think I will order a bottle. Just curious if anyone remembers if they ordered a glass of sauvingon blanc? No worries though, as long as there is a bottle of it!

I was going to post that my favorite wines were from Australia and New Zealand, but I thought I might get bopped on the head by a California Cork!!!! I don't like sweet wines.........

LOL, I'm from California and I don't like most of the California sauvignon blancs.

To me, pinot grigio is a lot different than sauvignon blanc. It's sweeter, the sauvignon blanc is tart and crisp.

I am terribly fussy about my whites. I will only drink a Sauvignon Blanc(preferably from New Zealand, Australia, California).

Some whites just give me wicked headache.

My favorite Sauvignon Blanc is Turnbull (CA) - not available on Princess. SB's give me a headache but not Chardonnay.

Cheers!

Chris

DesrtDrmr,

Wow, we do think alike. I put down New Zealand and Australia, then I thought I had better put down California too!

Thanks to all the posters for their help. I forgot that you could bring on your own wine! We will go to a store and get a couple of whites, just in case. Boy, I wish I was not so picky, but the wine is usually my favorite part of the meal! And my husband, of course...

I just finished looking at some bottles to buy and I am sure it would be cheaper to either buy the bottle on land or on the ship.

Do glasses of white wine usually cost about the same as on land? Would a glass cost around $10-12 or would they cost more on the ship?

Glad to hear that someone had a nice glass of sauvingon blanc from New Zealand! Cannot wait for our first cruise! Can you tell?!

I also drink sauvignon blanc (love the ones from New Zealand) and I have ordered it by the glass on the Grand. Not sure if the other ships are the same, but I imagine they are. I believe it was Nobilo. Yummy!!

Oh....I had that one. :eek: YUM! It was fantastic! I found it when we went to the wine tasting on board. Ordered by the bottle and by the glass on the Caribbean Princess.

Just back from the IP to Hawaii, I like you only like Sauvignon Blanc. Several (3-4) by the bottle and at least two by the glass. Unlike in a land bar the price is exactly the same whether you purchase by the glass or bottle. Prices range from $6-7.50 a glass and the bottles run $24-28 a bottle. I did find a room service only bottle of Sauvignon Blanc called Santa Carolina for $20 and it was quite respectable. My favorite on Princess is the Nobilo, $28 a bottle, but I purchased own at each port and carried it on without any questions. Barb;)

Hi, I have also ordered champagne by the glass!

I am terribly fussy about my whites. I will only drink a Sauvignon Blanc(preferably from New Zealand, Australia, California). I do not know anything about wine and just went to a vineyard in Sonoma where they taught you about it, how to swish it around, etc... My only concern is the taste! I don't care if it is $10.00/bottle or $50.00/bottle. Just like art, don't know much about it, just know what I like!

Some whites just give me wicked headache(hate Chardonnay). Of course it could be the quantity I drank!

Don't remember specifically about the sauvignon blanc by the glass. But Mexico5, I too am a Chardonnay hater and so is the hubby. However, we have recently discovered something called an UNOAKED Chardonnay...not stored in the oak barrels. There is one in particular that is divine - Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay from New Zealand...FANTASTIC. It ranges in price from $15-$20/bottle depending on where you get it.

Give it a shot...you will like it if you like SB and Pinot Grigio.

Nobilo sounds like a great wine! I will try and buy some in Ft. Lauderdale. We are staying at the Renaissance and I hear there is a store in walking distance. We have a mini suite with a balcony so I think it would be nice to have a glass on our balcony before dinner!

My husband keeps telling me to stop worrying about the price of something and just order things, but I am so used to land based resorts with the all-inclusive, I am scared I will order something like Dom and forget it's not free!

Thanks!

Lisa,

Thanks for the tip about that Chardonnay. Wow, is there any wine New Zealand can't get right? Just love their wines...

Also, anyone know if you can request a little taste of a wine before buying the bottle, like in a land based restarant?

Thanks!

Lisa,

Thanks for the tip about that Chardonnay. Wow, is there any wine New Zealand can't get right? Just love their wines...

Also, anyone know if you can request a little taste of a wine before buying the bottle, like in a land based restarant?

Thanks!

I've never heard of a restaurant opening a bottle to give you a taste to see if you like it or not?

I have stayed at the Renaissance many times before a cruise. It is a nice and convinent place to stay. The wine store used to be closer . They have moved and are several blocks further but still walkable. This time I am staying at the Amerisuites(even though it is not as nice but for $75 it is worth it) and it is much closer to the wine store! We will be the the Sun on Nov. 30 in an aft minisuite and plan to bring plenty of wine with us. You can always walk to the dining room with a glass of wine. I have done it a few times when I haven't finished a glass .

I have stayed at the Renaissance many times before a cruise. It is a nice and convinent place to stay. The wine store used to be closer . They have moved and are several blocks further but still walkable. This time I am staying at the Amerisuites(even though it is not as nice but for $75 it is worth it) and it is much closer to the wine store! We will be the the Sun on Nov. 30 in an aft minisuite and plan to bring plenty of wine with us. You can always walk to the dining room with a glass of wine. I have done it a few times when I haven't finished a glass .

If you bring their brand, such as Nobilo, to dinner they presume you purchased onboard and open it without a corage fee!!

I didn't say that out loud di I, Barb:eek: :eek:

Archived