Order wine by the glass?

mexico5

I ordered a bottle of Merlot in the dining room for myself....my husband also does not drink....it lasted 3 nights. They put your name/table # on it and save it until its gone. I think you'll pay more than that per glass over the long run.

I am going to bring my own on our next cruise in Feb. One bottle in the dining room was $30+...I'd rather bring it and pay the $15. corkage fee.

Hi, thanks for all of your help on the wine issue. One last question, if I may.

I went looking yesterday for the Nobilo Savingnon Blanc that everyone mentioned was so tasty, that was sold on board. I saw that there were 2 kinds of it. One was $23./bottle and one was $13./bottle. The cheaper kind was called Nobilo Fall Harvest Savingnon Blanc(something like that) and I cannot recall the other names that were added with the other bottle. I am assuming it is probably the cheaper bottle that is sold on board, since liquor store prices are usually at least half of what restarants charge. The one on board is $28./bottle.

So, if anyone recalls the whole name of the wine, can you tell me? I am sure it will be great though, coming from New Zealand. I looked in the brochure and it just says Nobilo.

P.S if it is the cheaper wine, the store was out of it, so it must be good!

Thanks again!

Well, I have never seen 2 types of the Nobilo sauvignon blanc, but I can tell you that the one I buy is about $10 - $12, so I think it's that less expensive one that you found.

Nobilo also makes Monkey Bay sauvignon blanc (which is New Zealand's best selling SB) and The Jibe sauv. blanc. I have tried them both and they are good, especially the Monkey Bay.

Ok, I just did a little research and the Fall Harvest is NOT the one I buy. But it sounds really good!

Nobilo is my favorite Sauvignon Blanc. I didn't know Monkey Bay was the same company, but I like them too. Matua is another good brand. The $10-12 bottle of Nobilo is just fine. And I believe you can order it by the glass as well as by the bottle on most, if not all, Princess ships.

I've already ordered a bottle to have iced and ready for sailaway on our Golden cruise leaving FRIDAY! Woo-hoo! No, I don't feel like carting a bottle with me across the pond.:D

yes, you can.

I luuuvvv sauvignon blanc wines and have tried several from 'round the world. There are some wonderful ones from New Zealand, Australia, France, Italy, etc., depends on your palate. Chardonnay's are just a tad too sweet and California's offerings are sometimes too 'oaky.' There are some fabulous Canadian sauvignon's...have you tried anything from the Okanagan and specifically 'Burrowing Owl'? I'm from landlocked Calgary also and am thankful we're able to access liquor/wine stores that offer different brands versus the eastern provinces still under the archaic 'government' thumb.

I have never tried a sauvignon blanc from Canada. I'll have to see what I can find now. I've been so hooked on the ones from New Zealand. I don't really care for most of the California SB's.

Whoever gave us the tip about the Kim Crawford unoaked chardonnay, thanks! I bought some over the weekend and it really IS more like the sauvignon blancs that I like so much.

Watergal,

Hi, agree totally with your take on our liquor stores vs. government owned ones!! Willowpark has TONS of wines from everywhere in the world. Like going to Disneyland for me. But...if you have been in any of the liquor stores in the last couple of weeks, it looks like Russia. There is something going on and the shelves are totally bare in some stores and getting more empty as time goes on. Something about suppliers, so don't walk, but run to your nearest wine store...

Lindnet,

I also saw the unoaked chardonnay on a wine menu this weekend and was tempted to try it, but found a nice Savingnon Blanc instead. New Zealand is my fav region. It seems like there is only one bottle offered on the ship.

25 more sleeps!

Hi, me again. I have the list of bottles of wine for purchase but I was wondering this. My husband does not really like wine and frowns when I order a bottle for myself LOL so in the dining rooms, can I order just a glass of white for myself? Or do most people order a bottle and if they do not finish it, they have it another night? Is it cheaper that way? The only white I like is a Sauvignon Blanc so I am hoping and praying they have it by the glass, if not, I will order the bottle.

Thanks!

I love Sauvignon Blanc and am from Calgary also! I'm hoping to pick up a couple of bottles of both red and white before boarding the IP next week.

By the way, drink lots of water - plain, Perrier or Pellegrino - when you're enjoying vino and you'll totally avoid a hangover.

We are taking our first cruise in Feb. 07 on the Star Princess and reading all the boards has me very confused. I thought you could not take liquor on board but everyone seems to talk about taking wine on board - is there no limit to the amount of wine you can bring? - can you buy wine in the ports and bring it on board? Thanks for clarifying this for us.

Hi, thanks for all of your help on the wine issue. One last question, if I may.

I went looking yesterday for the Nobilo Savingnon Blanc that everyone mentioned was so tasty, that was sold on board. I saw that there were 2 kinds of it. One was $23./bottle and one was $13./bottle. The cheaper kind was called Nobilo Fall Harvest Savingnon Blanc(something like that) and I cannot recall the other names that were added with the other bottle. I am assuming it is probably the cheaper bottle that is sold on board, since liquor store prices are usually at least half of what restarants charge. The one on board is $28./bottle.

So, if anyone recalls the whole name of the wine, can you tell me? I am sure it will be great though, coming from New Zealand. I looked in the brochure and it just says Nobilo.

P.S if it is the cheaper wine, the store was out of it, so it must be good!

Thanks again!

Hi again mexico5...WalMart carries Nobilo SB - $8.84 per bottle here in good old Plano, Texas. I was not aware there were two types either.

I have never tried a sauvignon blanc from Canada. I'll have to see what I can find now. I've been so hooked on the ones from New Zealand. I don't really care for most of the California SB's.

Whoever gave us the tip about the Kim Crawford unoaked chardonnay, thanks! I bought some over the weekend and it really IS more like the sauvignon blancs that I like so much.

Lindnet, you are most welcome...it was me who mentioned the KC unoaked chardonnay - isn't it great! Glad you liked it AND the screw top makes it that much easier to open. Best price I have found here in Dallas area is $14.99 per bottle.

Lisa,

Hi, you have wine sold at Walmart? How wonderful for you. We have all the liquor stores separate here.

We do have many great wine stores and they do have a couple of the Nibilo from New Zealand. I am sure it will be fine to order in on the ship. I just wish there were more to choose from. Seems like no matter where you go, there are always tons of Chardonnay. Not my choice...

Still can't get over, wine at Walmart. What a great country!!

By the way, drink lots of water - plain, Perrier or Pellegrino - when you're enjoying vino and you'll totally avoid a hangover.

Not totally true! :eek::eek: I drank a bit too much merlot in Vegas about a year ago and was very careful to order (and drink) a big glass of water with every glass. That was the worst hangover I have ever experienced....I couldn't even get out of bed till the next evening. :(

Lindnet, you are most welcome...it was me who mentioned the KC unoaked chardonnay - isn't it great! Glad you liked it AND the screw top makes it that much easier to open. Best price I have found here in Dallas area is $14.99 per bottle.

Yes, I really like it! But I will probably not get it too often, the Nobilo is about $8 a bottle versus the $14 or so for the KC. I do like the screw tops though!!

Hi, you have wine sold at Walmart? How wonderful for you. We have all the liquor stores separate here.

I used to only be able to find Monkey Bay at Target! They have great prices on their wine. :D

Lisa,

We do have many great wine stores and they do have a couple of the Nibilo from New Zealand. I am sure it will be fine to order in on the ship. I just wish there were more to choose from. Seems like no matter where you go, there are always tons of Chardonnay. Not my choice...

I know, isn't it wonderful. There is a new one-of-a-kind upscale WalMart near my house. And last year Plano passed an ordinance that the areas which were once dry could now sell beer and wine. We used to not be able to get it at the grocery store. This WalMart is spectacular and I do a pilgrimage every Sunday (if not more often). Even the Today Show was at this WalMart on opening day.

I am glad to know for my future reference that Nobilo is sold on Princess. Maybe soon they will carry the unoaked chardonnay.

Sam Walton is smiling down!

Archived