Not 'Dressing Up' for Formal Night

mzbiggs

I sort of remember one review mentioning they were pleasantly surprised to learn they could ask for and get the lobster/prime rib on ANY dinner on the cruise.. Can anyone confirm this? hubby is curious.

Colleen in Chgo

I know you can order steak or a chicken breast during any dinner service, but I have never heard of lobster and prime rib being available that way.

On our cruise a couple weeks ago on fantasy we had this very thing come up. We missed dinner in the main dining room the first night due to timing (we were STARVING at 3pm so ate something and weren't hungry at early seating lol), anyhoo our table mates were first time cruisers. So on next night that happened to be formal night this is what happened. They had come to dinner first night dressed to the 9s. On entering they were only ones of course dressed up. Observing other diners, they wore similar clothing the next night. Bless their hearts they were going to leave to go change..meaning they would prob miss entire dinner anyway. We begged them to stay and enjoy their meal..showing them instead the many diners who had not dressed up. For us, or me I should say, I enjoy dressing up just the one night and do on some of the other nights just because I like it. I could care less what anyone else wears (with the exception of bathing clothing lol). Other than admiring other womens pretty dresses etc...I don't judge what anyone else wears at any time as long as its clean. I feel like when you pass that kind of judgement..reminds me of the ppl in church who sit there picking apart other church members based on what they are wearing..right or wrong that is how I feel. I don't know anyones financial situation..and have no desire to know. It would be wrong of me to judge no matter what the reason but that is how I was brought up..to not judge ppl harshly etc. I would much rather have dinner with ppl comfortable and enjoying themselves..than those sitting there feeling pinched/hot and miserable myself. We saw probably a good 50/50 split on attire from what i can remember. Only reason I even noticed was because I was trying to make our dinner mates feel better by pointing out others dressed similar. Ended up a very enjoyable evening for all.

We always dress up for formal night, attend the captains party, take the formal pictures and head for the dining room. But 10 minutes after our dessert is finished, DH will be in jeans and I will be in Capri pants. We go to early seating and then dress comfortably for the rest of the evening.

A word about the pictures.....Some of the best pictures we had ever had made of the two of us have been on the ship. We took the kids on a cruise in June and had a family portrait made and ordered enough wallets to use in our Christmas cards this year. It is so much easier than trying to arrange a time for everyone to get together and dress up to go have pictures made when we are at home and in life's daily grind! I always budget $100.00 for buying pictures because they are one of the highlights of my cruise!

Oh I agree on the pics. They do take fantastic pics. I was surprised on this cruise that our pics were blurry. Not bad blurry but enough we bought only one 8x10 ( our wallet thanked them lol). The backgrounds they have are gorgeous and if you can't find one you like, many will arrange a time to take a pic in an area of ship you want..nto sure if they charge more for that or not. I heard one photographer discussing setting up pics for groups on the marble staircase in teh atrium or on deck at sunset. We passed up many of the photo ops just to save ourselves lol. The first cruise the pics were so good my husband insisted on buying them all :eek:

Did CCL rewrite this? Seems different than the last time I looked.

It appears that slacks, jacket and tie are the bare minimum for formal night.

Is there a dress code for the dining room?

spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Maybe I missed something, but I don't think the OP was asking if they could go to the dining room not dressed up on formal night... they said they didn't want to and were going to "do their own thing", but now people are trying to convince them to go not dressed up, even though one of their concerns about not doing the dining room was that "they would stick out like sore thumbs"... hmm. Sounds like they don't want to do the formal night thing, dressed up or not... and NOT dressed up, yes, they would somewhat stick out.

OP, do your own thing... you won't be disappointed, you won't stick out... many others will be doing their own thing as well...

Did CCL rewrite this? Seems different than the last time I looked.

It is different and it came from the FAQ section of the website. Here is the full section below. If quoted completely it also has a section for "those not wanting to dress up". When reading the welcome aboard booklet for my next cruise I noticed several things are different than in the booklet I received last year. The entire "What should I wear" section has been re-worded.

faq.gifspacer.gifWhat should I pack?spacer.gifThe first thing to remember is that you're on vacation and you are aboard one of our "Fun Ships" to have a good time. The second thing to remember is to travel light. If you keep those two things in mind, you should do just fine.

Casual attire and resort wear is the order of the day both on board and in port. Shorts, slacks, sundresses, blouses, etc., are in line for women. Clothing for men is just as casual. You should bring a pair of rubber-soled sandals or sneakers to wear on deck and a pair of good walking shoes. You might also want to consider bringing along a sweater or jacket for cool evenings and inexpensive rain gear in case of a sudden shower. Women may want to bring along a hat or scarf. You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops).

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

To the OP, I think you will be fine and not in the minority at all. Conquest stats have the pax numbered between 2800-3500 (every sailing can vary), with that many people, you're more than likely going to find others not dressed formally. Although I would probably not do it, I love to be served, I don't think it is unusual for anyone else to make this choice.

The only time I've ever been uncomfortable on a formal night was after our early seating we changed to go up on deck. We ended up walking through the lobby where the late diners were getting photos done. My husband had hold of my hand and was dragging me through. I remember feeling like I wanted to shout out "I was dressed just as nice as all of you only 10 minutes ago!" :o . Now, although we don't do early seating any more, we avoid the lobby/centrum area and plan a different path.

If you are not happy dining at the buffet (personally, I hate them) then perhaps consider the alternative restaurant. Conquest has a "smart casual" supper club but the majority do wear sport coats and nice dresses, just not necessarily formal. I found food and service in the supper club on Carnvial ships to be quite a step up from the dining room so that may be an option for you. Much quieter and more intimate as well, if that appeals.

I am not a fan of going to the formal dining room not properly attired (by the cruise line guidelines, not the standards of those who ignore them).

I have never understood the changing after dinner thing personally, as I am always comfortable in my clothing, be it casual or formal. But some do, especially on Carnival.

Hubby and I are thinking about not participating in formal night........no, we don't plan to go to the dining room in jeans, but we figured we wouldn't dress up and just do our own thing (we dress up 5 days a week and that's just not appealing to us on a vacation). Would we be in the minority? I'm worried about sticking out like a sore thumb.........

We are on the 12/3 sailing of the Conquest........

There is NOTHING that says you cannot go into the "formal" dining room, even on formal nights, in business casual attire. My father dines in khakis & a polo or campshirt every night. WHO CARES??!! One of the gals at our table on first cruise showed up in cotton cami & ripped jeans :eek: . NO ONE cared! You have paid all this money...be comfortable. And I recommend the dining room (hey, shorts are fine for breakfast & lunch there)...the food is generally much better than the buffet. Best place for lunch is usually poolside...both Princess & Disney had AWESOME poolside food! (and mediocre buffets!)

Relax & enjoy!

Happy cruising!

There is NOTHING that says you cannot go into the "formal" dining room, even on formal nights, in business casual attire. My father dines in khakis & a polo or campshirt every night. WHO CARES??!! One of the gals at our table on first cruise showed up in cotton cami & ripped jeans :eek: . NO ONE cared! You have paid all this money...be comfortable. And I recommend the dining room (hey, shorts are fine for breakfast & lunch there)...the food is generally much better than the buffet. Best place for lunch is usually poolside...both Princess & Disney had AWESOME poolside food! (and mediocre buffets!)

Relax & enjoy!

Happy cruising!

While it may be accurate to state that you personally do not care, you really cannot speak for everyone.

Ripped jeans and a cotton cami is tacky IMO and I would have noticed (this is why I prefer tables for 2) and I would have cared.

To each his own.

I have never understood the changing after dinner thing personally, as I am always comfortable in my clothing, be it casual or formal. But some do, especially on Carnival.

If we stayed in the public areas, I would stay in formal clothes. But, we like to go up on deck and it is typically windy and the decks are sometimes wet. Not only not very safe to walk in while wearing heels, but I would hate to ruin my formal shoes.

I'm comfortable in my formal clothes, I buy things that fit. I've also found that buying knits is not only a packing boon, they're far more comfortable than stiffer fabrics.

(I only wish I could wear that David Meister (sp) gown that you showed a couple weeks ago :) )

If we stayed in the public areas, I would stay in formal clothes. But, we like to go up on deck and it is typically windy and the decks are sometimes wet. Not only not very safe to walk in while wearing heels, but I would hate to ruin my formal shoes.

I'm comfortable in my formal clothes, I buy things that fit. I've also found that buying knits is not only a packing boon, they're far more comfortable than stiffer fabrics.

(I only wish I could wear that David Meister (sp) gown that you showed a couple weeks ago :) )

Kathy, I cannot wait to wear it three weeks from tonight! Brown is my new black:).

Yes, knits are wonderful for travel both in terms of comfort and care.

I understand about changing to be up on deck (I generally opt for my own balcony at night) but I see people put on shorts and flip flops for the shows and clubs after dinner and it is something I will never understand.

Kathy, I cannot wait to wear it three weeks from tonight! Brown is my new black:).

Yes, knits are wonderful for travel both in terms of comfort and care.

I understand about changing to be up on deck (I generally opt for my own balcony at night) but I see people put on shorts and flip flops for the shows and clubs after dinner and it is something I will never understand.

I saw how "times have changed" as I had a long time between cruises (first 2 on Sovereign OTS '90 & '93, Voyager and Radiance '05 & '06). Back then pretty much nothing was open on the pool decks, pools and tubs were drained and/or closed. There was no Adventure Open and very few, if any, children onboard. The dress code was more extensive and much stricter back then and you stayed in the attire of the evening. Voyager in '05 was an eye opener :D, I'm not complaining, just noting the differences today vs. then on a "mass market" line. The only reason I would change after dinner is if heading up top to the pool or hot tub...hasn't happened yet :)

Nope. You can't order anything from the dining room through room service... they have a very limited menu for room service. If you want lobster and prime rib, you'll have to go to the dining room to eat.

Princess Cruise, although they don't advertise it on their llimited menu, you CAN order anything served in the main dining from room service, including lobster and prime rib. I can't imagine a cruise line refusing to serve you in your cabin if that is where you choose to eat. Sometime sit may be a bit of an inconvenience, but it has been my experience they will try and accomodate you.

We participate in formal night. I believe when cruising was first introduced, part of the mystique was a formal atmosphere. We do it for ourselves, and have many beautiful formal cruise portraits displayed in our home. Most of them taken by our own cameras, I do agree the photographers sometimes get a little bit carried away with the backgrounds they use, and the arrangement of those in the picture. I also feel there is nothing more romantic than strolling the decks under the moonlight dressed to the nines~

But I also agree it is your vacation, and you can do whatever you want that helps you make the cruise the greatest vacation ever!

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise~

The cruiselines have the dress codes for a reason. The ambiance of formal dining is enjoyed by most. If you choose not to dress formally, there are alternative dining rooms or room service. I have sailed Carnival, Royal Caribbean, NCL, HAL and Celebrity. I don't remember Carnival it was so long ago, but I know Celebrity and HAL request that on formal night you observe the dress code for the whole evening in the public areas as well as the dining room. HAL had a wonderful buffet called "The Lido" that my husband & I ate breakfast and dinner at every day, because he doesn't own a suit or sport jacket and would not dream of renting one. When I cruise with my friends rather than my husband, we dress to the "9s" and have a ball doing it. As others have said, it's your vacation, so dress to suit yourself, just have the respect for your fellow travelers in the main dining room and public areas of the ship on Formal Night. Even the room attendants dress in black pants with white jackets and white gloves on formal night. And some Maitre'd (sp?) will refuse you admittance to the main dining room if you aren't dress appropriately. Formal night really is very festive, special and fun.:D

I sort of remember one review mentioning they were pleasantly surprised to learn they could ask for and get the lobster/prime rib on ANY dinner on the cruise.. Can anyone confirm this? hubby is curious.

Colleen in Chgo

This depends entirely on the cruise line and the class of cabin you are in (sometimes).

Colleen in Chgo

Alot depends on the cruise line. By what I've read regarding most cruise lines is that typically you can't get lobster or prime rib on nights when it is not on the menu. That said, there may be some cruise lines that will do this.

Princess Cruise, although they don't advertise it on their llimited menu, you CAN order anything served in the main dining from room service, including lobster and prime rib. I can't imagine a cruise line refusing to serve you in your cabin if that is where you choose to eat. Sometime sit may be a bit of an inconvenience, but it has been my experience they will try and accomodate you.

~

My understanding by what I've read is that is has to be on the menu for that particular night in the dining room. That you can order anything from that night's dining room menu for room service.

My understanding by what I've read is that is has to be on the menu for that particular night in the dining room. That you can order anything from that night's dining room menu for room service.

That is a generalization and unfortunately not accurate on all cruise lines in all cabin categories. Some, like Princess, restrict room service unless you are in a full suite. Breakfast, for example, is continental only. I love going to dinner so have only had room service when it was a line that offers something really special, like Regent.

Colleen in Chgo

I've been told that if you go to your Head Waiter and ask for a special dinner to be prepared to take back to your room that it will be done. I've even done this myself and I was able to take Lobster back to my room :D

Archived