Help! Please share your good experiences on NCL!

bte567

Well, we've only been on one cruise, but we're hooked, and we love NCL. cheerleader3.gif We chose it because of the Freestyle philosophy - it fits our desires and personalities. We had a great time last year on the Dream, and I have to tell you, I was really nervous going in because I heard LOTS of bad things, on this board, about the Dream and its engine problems. We're going NCL again this year, on the Majesty out of Charleston. Can't wait!! dance.gif

We are new to NCL (first cruise on the Dawn 1/07), but after talking to a few people who have sailed NCL ships, we are very excited about the prospect. Our friends have loved it.

Our first two cruise were on Carnival with traditional seating, etc.. We loved the service, food, and the whole cruise experience with one exception. Having to be at dinner at a specific time is not what we like, especially after returning to the ship at 5PM after an all day excursion, and then having to rush to shower & dress for dinner by 6PM. A little too much rushing around & clock watching for us. We want the flexibility that 'freestyle' offers.

We're more the type who never make plans unless we absolutely have to. We eat out often and at restaurants that usually require reservations so we go later at 9 or 9:30 for dinner when we don't need reservations. Seems like NCL is right up our alley.

One last thought, although we are relative newbies, we believe that any of the main cruiselines most likely offer an incredible vacation experience. Don't sweat the small stuff & have the time of your life.

We sail lots of different cruiselines, but what we enjoy most about NCL is dining at a table for 2. On other cruiselines, the service is terrible at a table for 2 because they are focused on the larger parties of 8-10.

Don't miss dancing late night in the Spinnaker Lounge--best bands we've ever seen.

The musical productions are not Broadway but are still fantastic. Don't miss them. We enjoyed the comedians on NCL too.

NCL has lots of hot tubs located around the ship. We found a deserted one high up in the front of the ship with nobody in it most of the time.

After boarding the ship, take a long walk around it to get familiar with places that interest you. Then use a highlighter pen on your ship map to make sure you know where the places are you want to frequent.

Next cruise is NCL Star in Feb. Can't wait.

This happened. My g/f and I were on the Sun in Cozumel near the end of our week cruise. The Carnival Conquest berthed alongside and, as happens, balconey cruisers began first waving and then yelling across the narrow dock at one another.

A Carnival cruiser yelled over at someone on deck nine forward of us, "How was the cruise?"

"It sucked big time" was the answer.

G/F and I looked at one another in total amazement and astonishment. "I wonder if they were on the same cruise as we were", she murmered,..... and so did I.

And confident that you made a terrific choice.

I too was perplexed by some of the negativity I read about before we cruised out on the Dawn in October. And this was to be my DH's first cruise and he is not an easy guy to please. We had two dear friends who took their first cruise on the Dawn in March...they loved it. I sided with them, knowing that they know good value and appreciate good food, rather than giving too much weight to the naysayers (some people are never happy and will ALWAYS look for something negative - perhaps they enjoy getting on the soap box and pounding their chests as they pontificate about how they were slighted)....I digress...

Our cruise went so well we booked on your ship, THE PEARL, for next year before we even finished our cruise.

You will have a wonderful time...give serious consideration to joining the Roll Call for your cruise. Maybe you'll have a little get together, meet 'n greet while onboard, like we did on our recent cruise.

Try the specialty restaurants...it's a little bit more but, IMHO, worth every penny. Give the spa a try...play shuffleboard...RELAX, ENJOY and be HAPPY.

Geesh...talk about pontificating...I'd better get off my own soap box right now too!!!

Ciao,

W A W W

My boyfriend and I are booked on the Pearl to sail out of Miami on 1/14/07 for 5 nights. We are 25 and 28 and were hoping for a fun cruise with a good balance of relaxation and adventure. We picked Norwegian because we had heard good things and were excited about sailing on a new ship. Plus, the freestyle cruising concept sounds great. NOW that we are booked, it seems that I keep reading all these bad things about the cruise line...terrible food, bad service, worst cruise line, etc.

Maybe this is a silly thread to start, but I'm just looking for help easing my mind with the decision. I want to be excited about the trip, not worried about it! Please share your insight, experiences, or any tips on how to make the most out of our trip on NCL.

Thanks!!

We've sailed the Dawn four times...just wonderful.

Sailed the Jewel when she was brand new...just great! I was anxious about sailing a new ship...but it was wonderful...new ship gets the best staff!

Food has always been fine, crew - excellent on NCL!

Relax and enjoy your cruise and your preparations.

Only down side...you will be so sad when it ends:(

First of all....great hread! thanks for starting it!

Our first NCL experience was just this September on the Sun's West Coast Repo from Vancouver to LA, and we enjoyed it very much. I must say, I can't come up with anything particularly fabulous or especially horrible to say about the ship, staff, food, or NCL. But our taste is simple, and expectations very modest. As someone has said here before, any meals that I don't have to think up, shop for, prepare, and clean up after for 4 days automatically gets an above-average rating on my scale! :)

I have actually become a bit intrigued by reading all the reviews where the success of someone's entire cruise experience seems to hinge on the food. We have never made meals the focal point of any other vacation we've taken, and didn't see a reason to start now. There is so much else that goes into making a fabulous trip....participating in activities, meeting new people, and going with the flow!

I will say that I was a little nervous about my hubby (not really a cruise fan) enjoying himself. But as soon as we got home he had me checking into NCL Christmas cruises to take our grown kids on! So we are now counting down to our chance to welcome the brand new Pearl to the US next month!!

We've sailed NCL twice, both times on the older, (not built for freestyle) ships. My family loves freestyle, especially being able to eat just as a family, or with others--our choice. I would love to try some different newer NCL ships, but I haven't found an itenerary that I liked yet, at a time when I want to go.

I rank our NCL cruises as a solid second in enjoyment behind Disney, but NCL is well ahead of Disney in price!!

Archived