motion sickness patch question

HarleyGirl

the best idea is to talk to your medical professional. Someone who knows your history.. what meds your on, how you have responded in the past to other meds (specifiacllay antihistamines and cold products) and your current overall health situation.

From that info they can best judge which sea sick preventative will be best for you.. Personally I take meclizine 25mg every morning starting the day I leave on the cruise. I use ginger as a back up in case of really rough seas.

This combo works best for me..remember even the otc meds and natural supplements can interact with other meds you are on so ask if they are OK.

If you decide the patch is for you try one a couple of weeks prior to the cruise (on a weekend your not working). Check to see if you get blurred vision or very drowsy. Alcohol is another central nervous system depressant so the drowsiness will be more if taken together(so caution is the rule).

hopethat helps

The only problem I had with the patch was that it basically put me to sleep for the first day I wore it. After that, I kept one on for the rest of the 7 day cruise, changing at 3 days, and I was never drowsy again. I am one who can take Benadryl and go to sleep, and drugs do usually have a stronger effect on me.

On the subject of drinking with the patch, I don't drink, but my DD does. She said the patch "caused her to drink too much". Personally, I think pouring the drinks down your own throat is what makes you drink too much.... But anyway, she said her cue to stop drinking is when she starts feeling queasy. Since the patch eliminated that feeling, she drank till she passed out. *sigh* That's my girl. :(

I have cruised on 7 cruises. The first one I didn't know about the patch. Was sick the whole time on Disney. Now I will never go without it. The only side effect I have is dry mouth. I have a few drinks everyday. Never have any problems. I love my patch. I put it behind my ear.

For those of you who are doing the ginger thing:

Freshly sliced ginger was available every night at the Sushi counter, if your ship has one. The Pride did.

I never take anything for seasickness. If its gonna happen, its gonna happen. Get sick, get over it, move on. The alternative is to deal with side effects of drugs that make you feel sick or disoriented even when you are not.

Archived