Le Havre

I will be on a cruise that stops in Le Havre on August 1, 2004 (which is a Sunday). I would like to visit Giverny (monet's residence) but cannot locate a rental car firm that is open on Sundays. The cruise line does not offer a tour of Giverny and the price for a rental car with a driver is US$1500 (much more than I want to spend). I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

try linfo@taxilehavre.com I don't know how much they would charge to take you to Giverney but they do offer tours. We rented a car at AutoEurope for the day a few years ago. When we rented the car, they would only rent for a 3 day rate although they knew we were returning the car that same day. As I recall it was about $200 U.S. We shared the drive with another couple so it made it quite reasonable. We drove to Honfleur, Deauville and Rouen. The roads are good and the French drive on the same side of the road as we do in the U.S. That day was one of our highlights. Rouen was awesome and Honfleur was charming.

Sandy

We were also in Le Havre on a Sunday last year. We took a taxi with another couple to Honfleur and he left us there for 5 hours and returned and took us back to the ship. That cost us about 55Euros a couple. Honfleur was wonderful but having been to Giverny and knowing how much I wanted to see it and how enjoyable Monet's gardens and house is, I would try and get there.

I am wondering if you could find another couple to go to Giverny and see how much a taxi would charge. They were all waiting at the ship. They do not speak English very well. My husband can speak French and he sat in the front seat and chatted away to the driver on the way. The driver told him some interesting information about the area.

I am sure with another couple you could do a good deal with a taxi driver as the ship is their income on Sunday and they are only too willing to be of help.

Last year when I was researching the area I found a limousine company on the net that went to all the areas around Le Havre including Giverny. Do a search on a few engines and I am sure you will find something.

Good luck.

Jennie.

Archived