More digital stuff (Batteries & chargers ) ??

Travelbug 2

Great info on the cameras, now please can I get some scoop from experienced users about batteries and chargers. The camera I am considering ( Olympus 575 ) takes AA batteries (two). There are many different sorts and qualities of charger sets out there. The store people are very helpful but first hand knowledge is 100% better. I will need something convienient for taking on a 10 day Med' criuse and your ideas and comments would be most welcome.

I know I am a pain but you guys are so helpful, please put up with me one more time!!!!

Happy cruising.

Travelbug 2

Ryndam Sept 2003

Noordam Oct 2004

Most digitals do come with batteries. Yours are AA. Look for quality recargeable batteries and buy the same charger. Try to find a small wall type charger instead of a big one as you have to pack it. Most will do 4 batteries at at time. This is good since you use two batteries at a time. Take the extras with you and recharge every night on the cruise (both sets). Take an extension cord with you so if you need to plug something else in you can.

If you are flying and carrying your camera on to the plane, you must have batteries in the camera and working. The TSA will take the camera and see if they can get a view. They will not take a pic. After take the batteries out until you are in the air (it may interupte the on board computers). When the Flight Attendants say you can take pics go ahead.

Suggest that you bring one extra memory card (128MB or better). You can get your pics downloaded on the ship and put on CD.

I have one set of Sony brand batteries that seem to perform better than the two other sets. (Can't remember which brand they are right now.) All are nickel metal hydride (Ni-MH) and are the better than nickel-cadmium (NiCad) rechargables. We've found that with three sets, we always have one set in the camera, one in the bag as a backup, and one in the charger.

I have a Panasonic battery charger that is not much bigger than the batteries themselves. On it, it says BQ-390 Quick Charger It charges the batteries in a couple hours. It holds 4 AA batteries or two triple A's. It doesn't take much room and works quickly-what more could you want?

There a lot of good chargers out there but almost all of them require 2 to 4 hours to recharge a set of batteries. I would definitely suggest having several sets of batteries as you will be surprised how fast you use up a set. Be sure to carry at least two extra sets with you when you go ashore. You don't want to not be able to get the picture of a lifetime because your camera has run out of battery power. Here is a web site with some excellent reviews of not only cameras but also accessories such as batteries and chargers.

http://www.steves-digicams.com

Have a great next cruise.

Here is a battery review - IMO MAHA IS FAR and away the best. But they are not in stores - mailorder only. Check out the review first which concurs:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

I highly recommend the MAHA Powerex batteries and charge that were top ranked. You can find them here:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

In particular - look at this page:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mh-c204f-4aa220dc.htm

At the bottom - they have several combo specials. I would get the one for $34.97 with a 4 battery charger, AC adapter, car adapter , battery tester and 4 MAHA Powerex 2200 batteries. Then if you want extra batteries - I would buy a separate 4 pack of the MAHA Powerex 1800 ($7.97) or 2000 ($8.97). I have lots of these batteries I use for my daughter's electronic's stuff besides my digital camera - and the 1800's last a very long time. The higher the number - the greater the life. But each brand is not consistent as you will see if you read the battery review article above. I have used other brands and they do not compare in terms of charge life and overall life to the MAHAs

or if charging speed is very important to you, look at this page for their newest, fastest charger (100 minutes) but more expensive

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/mhc401fs.htm

OOPS - Almost forgot - always look at their special page:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/specials.htm

here is an even better deal then athe combo I noted up above:

For $32.97

The Maha MH-C@)$F Charger

Eight Maha Powerex 1800 batteries

A/C Adaptor

Car Adapter

Battery Tester

Two battery carrying cases

I have had unsatisfactory experience with my Maxell Ni-MH batteries and charger. In future I intend to buy the big package of regular batteries at Home Depot and discard them along the way. They don't cost much and are dependable, although heavy.

They don't cost much and are dependable, although heavy.
Over the long term it is much, much cheaper to use rechargeable NiMH batteries, not to mention that you don't have to schlep all those alkaline batteries around.

If you've had poor results with NiMH rechargeables chances are there is something wrong with the camera, the battery, or the charger... They should last longer on a single charge than regular alkalines would last in their whole life, and certainly it's much more convenient to use the rechargeables than alkalines (on a cruise it's easy, just keep the charger plugged in to the cabin outlet and pop in the batteries for recharging each evening).

I can't give many recommendations with regards to brand as my Olympus camera came with a set of Olympus-branded batteries and accompanying charger (no doubt made by someone else for Olympus) and as you're advised always to use the same brand of batteries and charger, when I bought my second (spare) set I bought the Olympus-branded ones too. If I were buying batteries and charger for a camera that came with none I'd probably go with Maha as they seem to have the best reputation.

My current camera takes a proprietary lithium-ion battery pack so it's a moot point. But the bottom line is, if your camera takes AA batteries, go with NiMH rechargeables, they should be by far the best choice unless you use your camera very, very rarely, in which lithium batteries (not rechargeable) are probably the best because of their long life. I wouldn't recommend alkalines under any circumstances.

Our Sony Cyber Shot will appear to run on alkaline batteries. But battery life can be measured in just a few minutes. Put in a high quality rechargable batteries, and it runs for several hours. We went to BJ's (Bulk Buying Club) and purchased a set of 6 additional high capacity rechargeable batterys for about $10. Now we have lots of spare power when we need it, even when we forget to recharge right away.

Archived