Grand class vs. Voyager class

nycqueen

I am researching which caribbean cruise my family of 6 (4 children) should go on. I have two ships in mind, one being the Caribbean Princess and the other the Mariner of the Seas. Both lines seem to offer a fine product so I would like honest opinions from fellow cruisers who have sailed either class before.

As far as children's activites, my relatives / friends say the Voyager class wins hands down. But the anytime dining plays a big factor for us. In addition to the dining, Princess prices are less expensive and the Ft. Lauderdale port terminal is way more convenient then Port Canaveral. Any additional insight would greatly be appreciated.

We have been on both, (Grand & Voyager class) I don't think you could go wrong with either. Depending on the ages of your children, you might like the Voyager class better if they are older. Rock climbing, skating and the overall entertainment is IMHO, better than Princess. Both ships are gorgeous and newer.

I have been on both, the Caribbean Princess (half sister ship) and NOS as well as VOS. I my humble opinion, I thought the voyager class won hands down. There seemed to be so much more to do on the RCL ships. I guess it depends on your taste however. My wife and I love the flow of the voyager class much better than the Grand. From what I hear and noticed, RCL has a much better kids program. While the CD staff on Princess was adequate, I felt the staff on RCL's ships made more of an effort to be involved. You always knew what was going on. I will say however, the food in the general dining rooms on Princess was better. I hear Sabatini's is a real treat (did not try). The steakhouse on Princess was nothing to write home about (service) but the food was very good. In both of RCL's alternate fee base dining rooms they made the experience feel special with superb food. Don't get me wrong, I loved both lines but if I had to plan my next cruise it would be the Southern Caribbean on the Adventure of the Seas

We were just on the Mariner with our 3 teens 17,15,and 13 in April. They did like the rock climbing and the ice skating. The ice skating show can't be beat. The two boys loved the arcade and Johnnny Rockets. My husband and I prefer Princess ambiance, but the kids liked the Mariner cruise the best.

We also had connecting cabins -D1 balcony with a Grand suite and fit 6 comfortably between the two(our MIL was with us). very comfy and convenient.

Bathroom in GS was to die for -spoiled us rotten -but got it at a great price.

We are on Princess without the crew in January:D hehe

Each one has its own niche. However, it will depend on the age of your children and their interests.

We have a 16 years old daughter and brought along one of her friends each time we sailed. She is well-rounded so she enjoyed all aspects those 2 cruiselines have to offer. In summary:

• The gym on both are compatible, just ask them to wear appropriate shoes. The sport courts on RCCL is a tad better. Rock climbing and Ice Skating on RCCL have my daughter's vote.
  • Music on Princess is more enjoyable for the kids if they enjoy and play classical music. My daughter and her friends love to play cards and listen to music after dinner. They will minor in music when they go to college.
  • My daughter and her friend like to dress up and join us for afternoon tea on Princess. They like the atmosphere and the experience, remind us of tea time in London.
  • We had dinners in the dining room together everynight. They enjoyed trying new things and definitely love the desserts :) on both. I miss the chilled soup on RCCL. The lobster on RCCL is smaller than the one on Princess. I didn't order lobster on Princess so can't compare the taste.
  • Children on both cruiselines were very well-behaved, at least on our cruises. We didn't use the elevator that often, so can't comment on whether the children were hogging/playing there or not.

If your children are younger than ours and mostly boys, they will fit better on RCCL. Happy sailing :)

I am in my 30's - I found the Voyager class to be "too big" for me. Though I don't care about rock climbing, Johnny Rockets, ice skating, etc. . The idea of the Royal Promenade felt like a "shopping mall" to me - this is not what I want when I cruise.

Archived