Hog's Breath For Food???

cruzeluver

We will be in Key West from 3:00-10:00.

One of our travelling companions really wants to spend some time at the Hog's Breath. Do they have a full menu for dinner? Even if its typical pub fare that would be ok. All I have found out so far is they have a raw bar. Are there other food options there? Thanks.

We will be in Key West from 3:00-10:00.

One of our travelling companions really wants to spend some time at the Hog's Breath. Do they have a full menu for dinner? Even if its typical pub fare that would be ok. All I have found out so far is they have a raw bar. Are there other food options there? Thanks.

We ate at the Hog's Breath Saloon last year and the food was so-so...had raw oysters, conch friters, some ate burgers. I don't think we would eat a dinner there again but maybe stop by for a quick snack. My son found a place that had oysters for 25 cents each:cool: ...would have loved that!

• 2 weeks later...

In my humble opinon, Hog's Breath Saloon in Key West is just another old run-down tourist watering hole.

It's allure to us when we stopped on our cruise, was it's "semi-outdoor" dining area and bar.

It's certainly nothing fancy, and exists, I assume, mainly to sell their and t-shirts to tourists passing through.

If there's any more to their story than that, forgive me, as I only happened upon it for the first time last week during our Radiance cruise.

We ordered some conch fritters and smoked fish dip just to see what hey were all about, and I certainly couldn't describe either one as being "the best I've ever had", or anything I would order again from there.

Slow service, dirty bathrooms, a strange odor (probably stale beer from the night before), and not much to look at while waiting didn't help the experience at all. It's kind of in some back alley location that doesn't really feel welcoming.

If it's drinks you want, there's lots of other (ie. better) places to try after you check out the Hog's Breath....so don't spend too much time there! We didn't!

:cool:

New 2 Cruisin gave the best tourist assessment of Hog's Breath (and the rest of lower Duval Street) that I have read. Locals try to stay as far away from lower Duval as possible, the whole area is nothing but a tourist trap and reeks of stale beer and urine.

There are many, many better areas of Key West in which to have fun.

Thanks,

Mike:D

Thanks to all who replied.

The reason he wants to go there is because he has been watching the bands play on their web cam for a couple of years now, so he feels like he already knows the place and wants to see it in person.

I know its not much to look at. We stopped in when we were in Key West last year, but I couldn't remember what they had as far as food. Due to our very limited time in port, we kind of want to have our plans in place.

There are much better places to eat and have a few drinks. The great thing about Key West is you can just walk down the street, and stop whenever you see (or hear) a place you want to try. Try several places! One of my favorite bars is the Rum Barrel, but don't tell anyone -- I don't want it to be too crowded when we get back to Key West. ;)

Archived