Solos interacting with couples?

PaulfromPA

Hi everyone: I am all set to go on the NCL Dawn in another month as a solo pax. I understand that there is normally a FOD meeting in the Star Bar. I am looking forward to it because I enjoy meeting people and making friends. Still, there is one tiny question that I have been holding in the back of my mind. I wonder if most of the folks at the FOD meeting will be couples, and if so, I wonder if they would mind interacting with a solo traveller. My "land" experience is that sometimes couples only feel comfortable interacting with other couples. And while I consider myself an equal opportunity friend-maker (singles and couples alike are welcome in my life) I also don't want to feel like a "third wheel." Anyway, I am just wondering what experiences other solo passengers have had interacting with same-sex couples. Have you found them to be friendly and welcoming, or have you found them to be less than welcoming to single gay passengers?

Thank in advance for any thoughts...

- Paul

I cruise most of the time as a single and have met several couples on these boards and at FOD gatherings. Most have been a lot of fun and we've gotten together for drinks, shows, etc. As long as you aren't a constant tag-along, I think most won't shun you (except maybe the male model/circuit party crowd [unless you're in that genre] LOL). There are also plenty of straight couples that are a hoot to hang out with!

On our last cruise (Freedom of the seas) there were couples and singles, gays and lesbians. We all wound up dancing together at the 80's party and I don't think anyone gave much thought to couplehood in terms of jst making friends and hanging out.

I wonder if most of the folks at the FOD meeting will be couples, and if so, I wonder if they would mind interacting with a solo traveller.

Paul - On Cunard we've found that most of the people who go the the FOD meetings are couples, however there are still plenty of singles as well. The ratio is probably about one single to each couple.

We would certainly not mind meeting singles (we have never met any anti-single feeling); our worry might be that we could spoil the action for them. ctguy is right when he says to look out for straight couples - sexuality isn't normally an issue where having fun is.

I agree with the above, when I used to be single, I always met straight couples who wanted to hang out :) But also, never felt any strangeness with gay couples either. On a cruise, people are out to have a good time and I think the only couples who would not want to really hang out at all are the ones in the throes of a newer romance.

I agree with the above, when I used to be single, I always met straight couples who wanted to hang out :) But also, never felt any strangeness with gay couples either. On a cruise, people are out to have a good time and I think the only couples who would not want to really hang out at all are the ones in the throes of a newer romance.

My partner and I both love to travel and do as much as we can. When we cruise, we almost always go with a single friend of ours. At the end of last year, I was laid off by my employer and decided to take a year off from work to relax and do more travelling. On all of those cruises where I traveled alone, I never met a couple (gay or straight) who did not socialize with me because I was travelling alone. I always did make it very clear that I did have a partner back home. I have met a few people (straight, gay, single, and couples) who have forged long lasting friendships with me so my experience does not indicate that couples would tend to shy away from singles.

I've found the few times I travelled as a single I was more successful in interactive with straight couples than gay couples. Lets face it gays can be very particular at times.

Doesn't it depend on what you're out for? If you're looking for a quick shag then it's doubtful most couples (gay or straight) would be interested; if you're looking for someone who will be friendly for your cruise then their gender and sexuality would be unimportant. I've never found a difference between gay/straight couples from the friendship perspective.

Hey everyone:

I just wanted to say "thanks" for your advice and perspective. :) I will definitely look to be a friendly but not "clingy" solo passenger on my upcoming cruises.

By the way Matt, I am also in graduate school, but I have scheduled cruises as an incentive for working hard and then getting a nice break as reward for doing so. ;)

Hugs all around,

Paul

Archived