Mariner Lapel Pins And Madallions

EngineerDel

HI CC'ers:

We have only cruised with HAL four times. We have received our "BLUE' lapel pins and are "proud" to wear them on our cruises. The pins acknowledge our HAL cruise history ( although short in our case ).

The HAL web site shows the various AWARD LEVELS for cruise days:

25 days = Blue Pin.

50 days = Red Pin

100 days = Copper Medallion & Pin.

300 days = Silver Medallion & Pin.

500 days = Gold Medallion & Pin.

700 days = Platinum Medalion & Pin.

During our cruises, we have noticed only a FEW pax wearing their pins. In fact, we have never seen any pins above the RED level ( maybe it's because we just haven't looked close enough). Or perhaps they only wear then for the Captain's Party. Because DURING that party, we see all colors including Medallions.

Are we not encouraged to wear them during the cruise, especially when we are dressed appropriately? If I had earned a Platinum Medallion and Lapel Pin, I would surely want other HAL cruisers to know what they will someday earn as dedicated pax of HAL!

While on our last Volendam Cruise in November 2005, we met a wonderful older couple (in the 90s) who had their Platninum Medallions and Pins, and they were SOOOO PROUD of the fact that they had about 80 plus cruises on HAL. In fact, Captain Wieger Van Der Zee jokingly said they had been on more cruises that he! :)

So, my question is: Do you wear our well earned pins? If not, WHY?

Del

It's hard to find a place to stick the pin on my swimsuit. Actually, I forget to wear my pins on the cruise. I will wear my pin for boarding and for the mariner reception, but most of the time, I forget. Or it really does not go with what I am wearing or it's hard to stick a pin comfortably on what I am wearing. But then I only have 35 days,

DH and I received our red pins in March. We have always worn our pins every day on every cruise. We did not wear our big "campaign button" pins that come with the docs on formal nights but DH has worn the smaller blue and now red one on his tuxedo or suite.

bepsf:

Brian, I read your comments all the time and really enjoy your thoughts. If it's not personal, what level have you accomplished? I know you have been on MANY HAL cruises and would know what is proper. We wouldn't want to show a lack of respect for such a wonderful accomplishment by wearing our pins at inappropriate times (if there is such a thing).

jhannah:

Likewise, we read all of your comments and highly respect your views. Thanks for your response. Also curious as to the AWARD LEVEL you have accomplished! We also feel that these well-earned pins are to be regarded as something precious. We look into the eyes of those attending the Mariners Party and the Captain's Reception, and see how PROUD they are of their accomplishments.

duct tune:

YOU mentioned the "BIG BUTTONS" (pins) that come with the Documents. What exactly are they for? Should they be worn the same as the "AWARD LEVEL PINS"...or, are they for your luggage, etc.? The first time we took a HAL cruise, I wore them on my lapel. Was this inappropriate? I want to know. ( And I was proud to wear it every day)

Just want to make sure we are not looking like we just came out of the "back woods".

Thanks for all your answers!

Del

Del,

My DH wears all both of our pins (25 days working on our 50th) and Mariners on his "Dam" hat that he always wears when we board and then at the Mariners reception. I also feel proud about the pins because they represent how hard we have worked to be blessed to go on these wonderful cruises.

TMFC (Too Much Fun Club)

Nan

Well, I can see that I'd better get to work and "earn" my pins and medallions! We only have 7 days (seven days! a drop in the bucket!), and after our next cruise we'll only be at 21 days. So I am dedicated to the hard work it is going to take to reach my new-found goal of 700 days cruising on HAL;) . Please wish me luck!

Karin

the pinless orphan

My dress code:

(a) 100-day pin on suit coat lapel, always.

(b) Mariner button on lapel as I enter the ship, so I get a "Welcome back."

© The big, shiny, in-your-face Copper "I Spent Fifteen Grand For This" Medallion to display to the Blue Pins at the Repeaters' Party.

YOU mentioned the "BIG BUTTONS" (pins) that come with the Documents. What exactly are they for? Should they be worn the same as the "AWARD LEVEL PINS"...or, are they for your luggage, etc.? The first time we took a HAL cruise, I wore them on my lapel. Was this inappropriate? I want to know. ( And I was proud to wear it every day)

Wait a second: you wouldn't have had them on your first HAL cruise ... just your 2nd and later. Anyway: I think a lot of "2nd cruisers" (including me) wear them boarding and/or the first day or two on board because they/we don't/didn't know what the customs were! :D Now the buttons get tossed in a drawer before we even leave home!

My blue pin goes on my suit jacket lapel (I'm one of those who doesn't wear a tux) for the whole cruise, but I like hunzabunz DH's idea of putting it on my Dam Ships cap when boarding! I think I'll do that from now on. :)

bepsf:

Brian, I read your comments all the time and really enjoy your thoughts. If it's not personal, what level have you accomplished? I know you have been on MANY HAL cruises and would know what is proper. We wouldn't want to show a lack of respect for such a wonderful accomplishment by wearing our pins at inappropriate times (if there is such a thing).

Thanks for all your answers!

Del

Del--

Thanks much but I'm only a Blue pin (same as you)

I would never presume to look down upon someone wearing their pin on the lapel of their blazer or on their Dam Hat as they boarded, or on the lapel of their jacket aboard ship - just not for me (...at least 'til I get to the Diamond Level.;))

Now wearing the umteen-hundred-day medallions while wandering the Lido in your speedo or track-suit (are we channelling Mark Spitz???) might draw some looks and chuckles...

...but take that same medallion and hang it on some "Gold by the Yard" and wear it to the Disco on 70's night? Priceless! :D

My favorite 'sighting' of a gentlemen wearing their Red Level Mariners Pins was the night of the repeaters party aboard Ocean Princess several years ago. We were sailing back-to-back and were regretting our choice to have sailed again on Princess as our cruise was not all we hoped it would be. (Just our personal opinion.) We were at the Repeaters Party the second week and two gents, all decked out in handsome tuxedos were standing near us when my DH started to chuckle.

I turned to see what was 'tickling' him and and saw red Mariners pins on both their lapels. We LOVED that .....and also had a grand time at the party with them.

Sail, that is a good story:) I know someone on this board that is going to be taking a Princess cruise maybe he should wear his HAL Mariner pins;)

Del, DH always wears his now Red Mariner pin on his Tux or his suit jacket on Formal and Informal nights. We have noticed many men that do. I also think that the next level pins that come with your medallion are mostly put on the ribbon of the medallion. Although I have noticed several men that wear them as well on Formal nights. I have noticed that they do not stand out as well as the Red or Blue ones do so that might also be why you have not noticed them. Normaly I wear mine on the day of the Mariner's Reception and actually have worn my red pin embarkation day of the last two cruises.

I agree with tomc:

1. Copper pin on my husband's lapel always; mine on formal night

top. We have done this with all levels of pins.

2. Medallions at Mariners' Reception. Looks great if everyone wears

their medallions for the photo (that is, on occasions when they do

take a group photo).

Aiming at a Silver Medallion now: if ever get it, will probably wear it to informal night, also!

duct tune:

YOU mentioned the "BIG BUTTONS" (pins) that come with the Documents. What exactly are they for? Should they be worn the same as the "AWARD LEVEL PINS"...or, are they for your luggage, etc.? The first time we took a HAL cruise, I wore them on my lapel. Was this inappropriate? I want to know. ( And I was proud to wear it every day)Del

The big buttons that come with the documents the second time you cruise with HAL (can't be with the first since you aren't a mariner until you sail with HAL once!) seem to be worn by some until enough days are cruised to get the nice, small blue lapel pin. DH and I wore the BIG campaign buttons when boarding the cruise and usually around the ship but we took them off when going to port and since we just don't do the pool thing, we don't worry about having to pin them on our speedos. We liked being acknowledged by the crew as repeat HAL customers so we wore those big boys daily until we got the small ones. I'm not sure why HAL continues to send the cheap ones with the documents because we will wear our small lapel pins from now on when boarding - don't need to take the others along. Perhaps when I collect a couple dozen of those cheap ones I can string them together and decorate the Christmas tree :D

On our second cruise we got the big button pins in our docs and my TA say "make sure that you wear those so they will know that you are repeaters" ect...she made it like we would start getting attention at the dock as soon as we arrived. Well here we board and are so proud but no one notices and we really don't see anyone else with them on so I felt quite foolish, we took them off and throwed them out. This time they will be left at home.

Missygirl

In the story I told about seeing the Mariners' Pins on those two gentlemen, doesn't seem anyone but DH and I noticed. We were behind them when they shook hands with the Captain and if he saw it, he didn't comment. :D

Just got my blue pin on Oct 17 Amsterdam cruise and it immediately went on my HAL bucket hat which I won at trivia on our Noordam March 15th cruise .

The hat has become a necessity since I need sunscreen or a hat on my skinhead.

The big button they tell you to wear at disembarkation for all your Mariner perks does nothing. Most HAL cruises have so many Mariners on board that

you get lost in the crowd.

Happy sailing,

Stan:cool::cool:

I wear the Alumni/Mariner "campaign button" only when boarding, so I can hear a "Welcome back!" from the staff. I like that. Then it's put away until next time.

I have the (for me) copper pin in my lapel all the time. It's not unusual for people to have some sort of lapel pin and I'm hoping that, between cruises, I will run into a fellow Haller who will recognize it.

The medallion is used only for the Repeaters' Party; otherwise it is hanging in my room as a reminder that copper can sometimes be VERY expensive.

On our second cruise we got the big button pins in our docs and my TA say "make sure that you wear those so they will know that you are repeaters" ect...she made it like we would start getting attention at the dock as soon as we arrived. Well here we board and are so proud but no one notices and we really don't see anyone else with them on so I felt quite foolish, we took them off and throwed them out. This time they will be left at home.

Missygirl[/quo I think you will find more attention paid on shorter cruises but on longer cruises 25+ days, most of the passengers are many times repeaters. We were on Amsterdam last OCT/NOV/DEC circle Pacific and the mariners reception was split into 4 seperate seatings. Over 350 Copper Medallions, 100 Silver ,etc.....I believe Appalona [spell?]the Captains wife said there were 10 Platinum aboard....Me?...I am getting very close now to Gold.

We'll earn our blue pins in Feb. Are these given out at the Mariners reception when the medallions are given out?

Your steward should put them in your cabin the night before the Mariner's reception. If they're not, speak up!!

TA say "make sure that you wear those so they will know that you are repeaters"

The problem is that on many cruises about 60 > 65% of pax are Mariners, so it's no big deal!! :D

Archived