PLEASE! Does anyone have info on tours in Huatulco?

motherchic

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS POST I have researched the Ports of Call and cannot find any info on this port.

Have any of you experienced cruisers been to Huatulco? And can you give advice on tours or a good tour group to use.

It sounds that the bays are beautiful. I would love to see them and perhaps do a touch of shopping.

How safe did you feel there? Any do's or dont's?

Thank you so much

Nadine

If you look under Panama Canal on the ports of call thread, there are some posts, including some pix from a prior pax. And whatever cruise you are booked on should have some info even if you aren't interested in ship excursions - you get ideas and then you can research the sites through tripadvisor.com for reviews, etc.

I too would be interested to see what experiences others have had of H.

You are right Nadine though, keep this thread here since not everyone looks on the port threads.

How are we doing for our roll call. Do we need 25 people signing up to get a party together?

I had the same problem finding things to do there during my cruise on the full transit through the Canal. Even though it was on Princess what I did was go to the roll calls for all of the lines that did a full transit and Hualtco was a stop. It took some searching but as I remember there was talk on those roll calls of things to do. All we did was just walk into town. It is in a beautiful setting, there are shops there but did not do excursion. So just go back to prior roll calls; one example would be the one that I was on which was on the Coral Princess, May 3, 2006 full transit. Hope this helps some.

Marilyn

To add from my above post go back to the Ports of Call board under Mexican Riviera and where it says "search this forum" just put in huatulco and all sorts of info comes up.

marilyn

To add from my above post go back to the Ports of Call board under Mexican Riviera and where it says "search this forum" just put in huatulco and all sorts of info comes up.

marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, for that tip. I have always had good references from theses boards. When i go to other sites, my comfort level is not always as good. We are traveling this next trip----2 women. I tend to be more hesitant about taking tours when i am not traveling with my DH. Cruise critic suggestions, i have always felt comfortable with.

Nadine

We have been to this port on the Oosterdam. We used this as a relaxing time to get off the ship and just wander around.

Its a very pretty laid back place. There is a small beach right where you dock with cafes lining the beach. There is a crafts market within walking distance with some of the same old same old--but some unusual local crafts that we did not find anywhere else.

Two of our cruise critic group (two women traveling alone) signed up for the ship-sponsored snorkeling cruise, but the water was cold--this was in January.

If I would go back again I might be tempted to take a taxi into the main town, but for us this was a very enjoyable day with plenty to keep us occupied right in the port area.

This area is built especially for cruises and tourism so felt very very safe. Be sure to stop in the tiny chapel and read about the history--this also is right at the end of the dock along the beach area.

Have any of you experienced cruisers been to Huatulco? And can you give advice on tours or a good tour group to use.

Nadine

When we were there last year, we got off the ship and found a local with a van (there were for of us). After the usual negotiation of price, inspection that the van was clean, air conditioned, and appeared to be in good mechanical shape, and could speak English (and would be our driver), off we went. He drove us all over, even gave us an inside "tour" of a condo at a gated private resort where he had a "buddy" that let him in. It was also a restroom stop plus a beautiful view from the veranda surrounding the restaurant and pool. We loved Huatulco, it is a lovely place that is not overrun by tourism yet--or at least wasn't a year ago. I looked in my album and don't have his name but there were plenty of drivers there looking for fares.

Tucker in Texas

We were there in April and took the walking tour. It was very hot and I wouldn't do it again. We loved Huatulco and thought about buying a condo there. It is not a scary place. We are going back again in April and think we will venture out on our own.

Hi Everone... Please understand.. my intent is to inform.. you make your own decisions. I am on the Summit Feb 3, 07 and one of our stops is Huatulco. I am keeping a close tab on the news. Here's what I read and some links for you to read.

Currently there is violence in Oaxacai, which is about 150 kilometers inland from Huatulco. There is also violence scattered about Mexico.

Here is the last section of the first article...

The embassies of the U.S., Canada, Britain, France and Germany have warned their citizens to avoid traveling to the region.

The conflict has shattered tourism in the city, noted for its colonial architecture and ancient ruins. In outlying towns known for unique handmade crafts, the lack of income for artisans is being deeply felt.

That link is here....

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1162507817311

Another article here....

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&call_pageid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1162465439813

Here is the official Foreign Affairs warning:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/sos/ci/cur-en.asp?txt_ID=798

Here is a map of the area...

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/oaxaca/mapoaxaca.html

Don't want to panic anyone but use some discretion when you are in those places.

Good Luck !

We loved Huatulco. The beaches were lovely and the town area, right near the dock is lovely. We did some great shopping for local handicrafts and jewelry and then had lunch at one of the local restaurants. It's one of the nicest towns we've ever been to in Mexico. There's a place in the center of town where you can rent all kinds of water toys, including sail boats and jet skis.

Was there a year ago. Rent a Panga Boat and see all the beautiful bays in the area. Then stop at one of the beaches about a bay away from where the ship docks. Your boat will wait right there for you. Didn't want to leave.

When we were there last year, we got off the ship and found a local with a van (there were for of us). After the usual negotiation of price, inspection that the van was clean, air conditioned, and appeared to be in good mechanical shape, and could speak English (and would be our driver), off we went. He drove us all over, even gave us an inside "tour" of a condo at a gated private resort where he had a "buddy" that let him in. It was also a restroom stop plus a beautiful view from the veranda surrounding the restaurant and pool. We loved Huatulco, it is a lovely place that is not overrun by tourism yet--or at least wasn't a year ago. I looked in my album and don't have his name but there were plenty of drivers there looking for fares.

Tucker in Texas

Hey Tucker.........long time no speak. Accidentally found you while surfing the CC boards. You can always find me somewhere on a Princess board. Hope all is well and regards.

Arlene

PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THIS POST I have researched the Ports of Call and cannot find any info on this port.

It sounds that the bays are beautiful. I would love to see them and perhaps do a touch of shopping.

How safe did you feel there? Any do's or dont's?

Thank you so much

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

You saw my album on Huatulco already but you may have missed the link that I have there:

http://www.tomzap.com/huatulco.html

Click link and scroll down to the bottom to see tour operators, outfitters for Huatulco. May be you will discover a good local guide like 'Rosie (Acapulco)' or 'Oscar/Charlie (Costa Rica)'

Due to the trouble in Oaxaca (the city) I would not venture out too far from the Huatulco area (La Crucecita and Santa Cruz).

Hi Nadine,

You saw my album on Huatulco already but you may have missed the link that I have there:

http://www.tomzap.com/huatulco.html

Click link and scroll down to the bottom to see tour operators, outfitters for Huatulco. May be you will discover a good local guide like 'Rosie (Acapulco)' or 'Oscar/Charlie (Costa Rica)'

Due to the trouble in Oaxaca (the city) I would not venture out too far from the Huatulco area (La Crucecita and Santa Cruz).

Thanks Ebsic !! You know i didnt realize there was some trouble there until yestarday.

Would love to do a bay tour. Did i miss it? What did you do there. You have some great pics

Nadine

Check out the net for White Shark Boat Tours. Small operation that has a boat for up to 4 couples and will take you for about 4 hours to 4 of the local bays. Cheap at about $30 a couple and a great trip. We had a ball. Did a bit of fishing for boneto at no cost. Think it was $5 a head to rent snorkle equipment. Can't go wrong with him. Think the name is Jose' Vasquez but not sure. You won't regret going with White Shark.

Archived