NCL Panama Canal transit

Good morning all.

Have any of you here ever transited the Panama Canal? Any tips you can offer to someone who has never done it before? We're sailing on the Pearl from LA to Miami next September. The itinerary is Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Acapulco, THE CANAL, Cartegena, Port Limon, Key West and then home (to NY) from Miami.

So many of you on this board have alot of cruise experience...I am hoping that a Canal transit has been part of your history too.

I've taken to searching You Tube for videos - some of them are really good and peak my interest even more.

Ciao and thanks in advance,

W A W W

Traversing the Panama Canal takes all day, so you'll have ample time to watch the goings on. One of the best views I had was watching an empty cargo vessel go through with us. I could see exactly what our ship was doing by watching theirs. They would wave to us and we them. We'd go to the dining room to eat and ask for window seats so we could continue watching.

Beware of the sun if it's a sunny hot day - it's a doozey. Our captain warned all of us to beware the sun. I felt those with the best views were those who had a balcony.

It's quite an experience and every cruise should transit the Canal at least once ---in my opinion.

We'll be on the Pearl in May (Alaska). Yippie!

we have done the canal three times now...twice on Carnival repositioning cruises and once on the NCL Sun...each time it was different as far as something to see that wasn't there before...like the previous mentioned it is an all day thing...8 hours...so try to see it from all different positions on the ship....we would go to the front and watch one lock and then go to the back and watch the next lock....we have had other cruise ships go through behind us and interesting to watch them....also had cargo ships next to us....you will love the experience......

Have any of you here ever transited the Panama Canal? Any tips you can offer to someone who has never done it before?
I did the Star's maiden voyage through the Panama Canal in 2001. Loved it! You're going west to east so I'd recommend you get a port side cabin. I felt like there was more to see of the transit of the canal from the port side. The viewing stand will be on the port side. If you were going east to west, I'd recommend starboard. Also, get a balcony if you can. That way you have the comfort of your room, you can order room service, you're out of the sun, you have a bathroom close, and you can go inside to the A/C when it gets too hot. :)

When you want a good answer, I always say go to the experts...which is what I consider all of you to be!

We did take starboard side balcony rooms on the 11th deck (to catch the sunsets going down and sunrises coming back up). So we'll have the balcony, bathroom and A.C. close by. If we want to see the port side, it shouldn't take us too long to get navigate the stairs up two flights (hopefully!)

Lifelong dream of mine to do this itinerary...I cannot wait!

Thanks again!

Ciao,

W A W W

We did the Canal for my parents 50th Anniversary last year. It was a great trip. We were on the Coral Princess.

Here is a great website to watch live cameras of ships going through the Canal.

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

If your ship has a place on the back that you can watch from, it's quite the experience watching the gates close behind the ship. Since it takes a long time, we were able to move to a couple different locations. If your schedule has you going through early, get up and watch the sun rise as you are coming into the locks.

We had the opportunity to get off the ship in Gatun lake and get on a smaller boat to go through the other side (to the Pacific Ocean). The experience was fun because you could see the walls as you go down in the locks (the ships are too large to see that really close). You can even touch the walls.

Have fun!

Archived