Conquest late today into Galveston. (Man Overboard Thread)

Hypo

Why does Carnival seem to have more of the "man overboard" situations like yesterday?

Is it overserving of drinks?

Is this a cruise wide issue, with the increase of balcony staterooms, thus , greater access?

Is it Carnival, or do they just get the most press........

With more ships sailing and more passengers on the ships it would seem the number of incidences would have to increase for the frequency to remain the same. The greater number of balconies would make overboards easier also. I'm intrigued though, what makes you think this is more common on Carnival? I've never heard that before.

With more ships sailing and more passengers on the ships it would seem the number of incidences would have to increase for the frequency to remain the same. The greater number of balconies would make overboards easier also. I'm intrigued though, what makes you think this is more common on Carnival? I've never heard that before.

more of an observation, I am not sure....when I sailed with them, I had a great time, but i did notice that drinks were pushed at every turn..........just curious....

Why does Carnival seem to have more of the "man overboard" situations like yesterday?

Are there stats out? Does Carnival have the most?

If so, how does that relate to the amount of pax that sail Carnival?

Are they actually jumping from their balconies?

Cruisejunkie may have the latest listings.

more of an observation, I am not sure....when I sailed with them, I had a great time, but i did notice that drinks were pushed at every turn..........just curious....

Well, now you will have to back that statement up with the knowledge that any of these jumpers were even drinking. :confused:

You know what's weird? We were on the cruise where the lady jumped off the back, and my GF's workmates were on this cruise that just ended with a man overboard. Both on the Conquest. I think it's the Conquest! ;)

Sad thing for all involved. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families. :(

Actually, a quick glance at Cruisejunkie.com/events shows your enitre supposition is incorrect to begin with.

Umm, actually it shows that Carnival does have more people go overboard than anyone else 2003-2006 total of 17, next highest was RCI with 8 for the same time period.

Although personally I think this may have more to do with number of pax than the ships themselves.

As far as alcohol goes, if you normally get stupid when you get drunk don't be surprised when your attempt to walk from the front of the ship to the back on the railing ends badly.

Had to add, this happens to me every time. Just won't work for me. :confused:

Cut us some slack, please.:o

I also get the white screen when trying to search! Glad to hear it's not just me! Any advice from you experts out there as to why the search function doesn't work for many of us??? :confused:

The world is full of unhappy and despondant people. I would be more concerned about a ratio of people who went overboard due to foul play than those who went overboard due to being despondant or troubled. Look at the new movie about the bridge jumpers in San Francisco. An average of 1 every two weeks. Do we fault the bridge and its operators or the individual?

so basically no one has any info on who went overboard? man/woman,drunk,depressed,upset over dining times,drink prices:rolleyes:

You will find different versions of the events on the other two threads which are linked above.

Umm, actually it shows that Carnival does have more people go overboard than anyone else 2003-2006 total of 17, next highest was RCI with 8 for the same time period.

Although personally I think this may have more to do with number of pax than the ships themselves.

As far as alcohol goes, if you normally get stupid when you get drunk don't be surprised when your attempt to walk from the front of the ship to the back on the railing ends badly.

Carnival had approximately 9 million plus passangers during that period of time making the number 17 statistically insignifigant. Even broken down by ships, that is less then 1 per ship over a three year period.

What is more alarming, is the increasing numbers of overboards being deemed suicides. Either death be cruise ship is becoming the method of choice for offing oneself, or someone is playing fast and loose with the facts.

that cruisejunkie info was interesting. but don't forget darkjedi that carnival has the largest fleet in the industry with more carnival ships being out at any given time over any other line. so, 17 isn't such a bad reflection on carnival. what i found more interesting however, was the huge increase in happenings on all lines from 2005 on. anyone else notice the increase in numbers here? that's a little wierd.

that cruisejunkie info was interesting. but don't forget darkjedi that carnival has the largest fleet in the industry with more carnival ships being out at any given time over any other line. so, 17 isn't such a bad reflection on carnival. what i found more interesting however, was the huge increase in happenings on all lines from 2005 on. anyone else notice the increase in numbers here? that's a little wierd.

Perhaps this is due to the increased number of balcony cabins on the newer ships?

Someone died......that is very sad. I feel for his family and friends. There are tons of ways in which people are stupid and most of us at some point in our lives have done something that someone else would consider stupid and selfish.

Oh wait....thats right, it's completely okay to judge others because we are all only concerned with only ourselves and none of us have ever done anything that irks another. Carry on...sorry to interrupt the bashing of a dead guy.:rolleyes:

Why do many people get annoyed because a thread has multiple posts. It's a simple matter to just go on to another thread or does the 15-20 seconds it takes to go back to the board Come on people some of you have too much time between cruises and are getting cranky!

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

I think the increase in the number of overboards is indicative of the increase in the popularity of cruising. I believe that there are troubled souls who get on a cruiseship after listening to the hipe believing that cruising will "make them feel happy" or "make them not be sad". When that doesn't happen, for a despondent few, well . . . . . . :(

Not the cruiseline's fault.

Why do many people get annoyed because a thread has multiple posts. It's a simple matter to just go on to another thread or does the 15-20 seconds it takes to go back to the board Come on people some of you have too much time between cruises and are getting cranky!

It's easier to find information if it is all together. Obviously this won't allways be the case on a busy board like this one. Trying to keep information together and threads on subject helps make the board easier to use.

I'm not so sure people are cranky as much as the reader interprets what they read that way. Sure some posts are undoubtably cranky, but others aren't. Alot of flaming would disappear if people would just take a deep breath and think about what they have written before hitting the "submit reply" button. :)

Archived