Alcohol onboard questions, comments, etc. (merged)

picnicpat

Patron the good stuff? Puleeeze. Over marketed, over priced, hyped, tastes like fuel. Next time you hit a mexican port, sample a shot of Casa Noble Blanco at one of the liquer stores. Then buy a bottle. I went online and after much research bought a bottle during my visit to Cozumel. I took it home and did the old pepsi challenge taste test with friends who swore by Patron and the results were embarrassing. Google Casa Noble for opinions from the pro's. You can thank me later.

will be in cancun and will try it when i am there in March but i truely prefer don julio anejo, Don Julio 1495 and herradura aged .To each his own .

Hey thanks for the info about Patron on board, and the suggestion for Casa Noble Blanco - DH is up for new tequila all the time! He likes Patron now, but if Casa Noble is as good as you say, you may have a convert! We'll check it out when we are in Cozumel in a few weeks and I'll let you know what he thinks!

We ordered from the Perfect Gift in Cape Canaveral for our recent Mariner of the Seas trip. Our "box" had Diet Coke, Sam Adams Beer & Wine. Prices were reasonable - $1 per can for soda; $13 & $15 for a bottle of wine; $2 per bottle of beer - yes you can get it cheaper yourself but it's cheaper than the ship's prices. We were charged a $12.50 delivery fee that is really just a pass through on what the ships charge Perfect Gift. We also ordered a Large Pail "basket" for our kids. We only had to pay 1 delivery charge since both baskets/boxes were going to the same stateroom. The baskets/boxes were already in our stateroom when we arrived :)

http://theperfectgift.cc/Cruises.htm

With that out of the way... here is what I want to know:

we are planning to take some booze onboard our next cruise... we will still purchase a few drinks onboard.

So my questions are...

1. We are flying into port... do we pack it in checked luggage? Can you pack alcohol in a suitcase to board a plane? Or should we purchase once we land and on our way to port.

2. We are sailing Mariner out of Port Canaveral... any problems with putting it in our checked luggage?

quote]

With respect to your question #1, here is the TSA regulation on alcohol in checked bags:

"Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

With respect to question #2, Port Canaveral is one of the ports where RCI has been pulling bags where "suspicious" bottles are spotted by the onboard x-ray scanner. The bag owner is called to a public area on embarkation night and is asked to open the luggage. If alcohol is found, the bottle is held and returned to you at the end of your cruise. If alcohol is discovered smuggled in a non-original container, it is confiscated and not returned.

From your post, you intend to disregard RCI rules. That is your choice and the worst that could happen is the loss of your cruise vacation... If you disregard TSA regs, really bad stuff can happen to you...

Good luck...

LL

I just placed my order with Just Because of You for this Saturday. I dealt with Charlotte and she was very helpful. I ordered two baskets. One with vokda, cranberry juice and club soda and the other was a beer basket. Very easy to deal with and you don't have to worry about trying to smuggle it on board.:)

I just placed my order with Just Because of You for this Saturday. I dealt with Charlotte and she was very helpful. I ordered two baskets. One with vokda, cranberry juice and club soda and the other was a beer basket. Very easy to deal with and you don't have to worry about trying to smuggle it on board.:)
Gordon, are you sure that it was *Charlotte"? I just spoke with a *Charlene*, and I wonder if they are the same person, or two with similar names?

:)

(not that it matters :D)

Gordon, are you sure that it was *Charlotte"? I just spoke with a *Charlene*, and I wonder if they are the same person, or two with similar names?

:)

(not that it matters :D)

She told me her name was Charlotte and that was what I wrote down when she was giving me prices. Not sure if they how many are working for Shelley. She was new as she had to call me back when she got the prices from Shelley. Of course my ears could have been playing tricks on me too.:) All I know is I have my liquor being delivered Saturday!!!!!!:D

I really need to use spellcheck. Vodka. Not vokda!!!!!!:D

Perhaps this is a dumb question, however...

Is there anyone that delivers to the LA port as we are traveling on the Monarch, is this possible?

I doubt it, but hey, worth a shot!? right :)

Thanks!

Well Wishers lists San Pedro as a delivery location

So, Gordon, did they give you names with your price list, or did you order generically? "one bottle of vodka, one bottle of chardonnay.........."

I ordered my vodka and beer by name.

I ordered a bottle of Stolichnaya Vodka with two 1 liter bottles of tonic and two 64 oz. bottles of Ocean Spray Cranberry Juice for one basket and one basket of Bud Light and the total was $110.00 for everything. RCI charges $5.00 for each basket delivered. The vodka itself was $40.00 and the Beer basket was $40.00. Actually the beer is a pretty good deal as that is for a case. The other was a little more than what one would pay to smuggle but I am doing this more for convenience than anything.

how do you keep all that beer cold if you don't have a fridge?

we bring a collapsable cooler with us, tip the room steward a few bucks the first day and he or she will keep it full of ice for you and empty the water. You can pick the coolers up at pretty much anywhere but we got ours at walmart.

I called Just Because this morning to order some surprises for DH to be delivered to the room for our anniversary sailing. (Jan. out of Fort Lauderdale.) She tells me that because of some sort of bad experience that they are now going back to wine only. That's fine with me, I prefer wine anyway, but I was hoping to get a specialty beer for DH. Any other first hand suggestions for a company who delivers to Jewel, Fort Laud.??

I called Just Because this morning to order some surprises for DH to be delivered to the room for our anniversary sailing. (Jan. out of Fort Lauderdale.) She tells me that because of some sort of bad experience that they are now going back to wine only. That's fine with me, I prefer wine anyway, but I was hoping to get a specialty beer for DH. Any other first hand suggestions for a company who delivers to Jewel, Fort Laud.??

is that just for fort lauderdale? because i placed an order a few weeks ago for my freedom cruise 12/24...she hasnt said anything to me about no alcohol or beer.

is that just for fort lauderdale? because i placed an order a few weeks ago for my freedom cruise 12/24...she hasnt said anything to me about no alcohol or beer.

I really don't know. I would imagine they are sending orders placed previously as promised, of course. It was Charlene that I spoke with. It sounded to me as though this is a very recent change and maybe sending alcohol other than wine got to be a bit too complicated??

Of course they do send other types of baskets... When she said wine only, she was referring to baskets that incl. alcohol.

I just called her back to make sure I didn't misunderstand b/c the price list she just emailed me still has beer on it. It seems the talk of changes just happened this morning, so she is going to double check with Shelly on the beer thing when she gets back. She'll email me later....

It's too bad really... She didn't go into detail, nor would I dream of asking, but apparently it had something to do with someone who was very unappreciative/demanding? whom just made them feel they were better off going back to basics.... Sadly, sometimes it only takes one to ruin a nice thing for everyone else.

Last year we packed out own booze. There were 6 of us and we each packed a bottle in our suitcase. We still bought a couple drinks here and there but what we would do is after dinner, we would order like 8 glasses of the fruit punch and made our own drinks. Then we went to the cruise shop on board and bought two large water bottles and would have them filled with Rum or Vodka and go to the Windjammer and fill the rest with Fruit Punch or Ice Tea or whatever you wanted to mix. It worked. We are planning on doing the same thing for our next cruise.