Dominica

hockeymom12

Hey there! Can anyone give me any information on snorkeling in Dominica's Champagne Reef? I am looking for tour operators, if it is worth taking time for and if there is a lot of ocean life. Thanks in adavance for your assistance! -Hockeymom

We went snorkeling at the Champange Reef last year, it's really Cool to swim in the hot bubbles, there is some sealife but nothing like other islands we have been to. We hired a taxi to take us down to the shore and walked down the shoreline for about 5 minutes before we entered the water, the reef was just off shore, you know when you are getting close because the water keeps getting warmer and warmer with little bubbles shooting out from the bottom.

The water is deep so if you don't swim well, it would be advised to bring a vest.

We went snorkeling at the Champange Reef last year, it's really Cool to swim in the hot bubbles, there is some sealife but nothing like other islands we have been to. We hired a taxi to take us down to the shore and walked down the shoreline for about 5 minutes before we entered the water, the reef was just off shore, you know when you are getting close because the water keeps getting warmer and warmer with little bubbles shooting out from the bottom.

The water is deep so if you don't swim well, it would be advised to bring a vest.

Thank you for your response! Is it really difficult to get into the water? I have heard people say the shoreline rocks are really sharp and advised people to take a boat.

Yes the shoreline rocks are sharp, if you have ever walked on lava rocks than that is what it feels like, we had our water shoes on and it was fine.

The tricky part we came acrossed was at the water itself, the rocks as you enter the water are very slippery and i did fall but nothing serious.

Also if you wait until you get off the ship, trust me, there will be tour guides all over the place, wanting to take you wherever you want to go.

We hired a driver for the day, he took us up to the rainforest, which in my opinion is way better than the Champange Reef, we swam at the base of the water falls and sat in the hot sulfer springs, then he took us on a tour of the island, then to the Champagne reef, the cost for the whole day was $20 pp (there was 5 of us) + a few dollar (i think $2pp) for the enterance fee to the rainforest.

of course he wanted more at first but after falling us around town for an hour, he lowered his price, he was the best driver we have ever hired.

We gave him a very nice tip at the end for his great service.

Archived