Have you been on the TP Marquesas Islands Itinerary?

Susan-M

We have B2B itineraries booked next October (Cook & Marquesas Islands), but I have not read many positive comments on the Marquesas Islands ports.

For those who have done it, just wondered what you did in the two ports there and what your opinion is of the Marquesas Islands?

Many thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Susan, We are considering the Marquesas itinerary next Oct too. I think the Xpedition trip has convinced my DH that cruises aren't a bad thing. It's funny that so many of the comments have been negative about the Marquesas. I want to go because, they are so untouched. Didn't Cathy (CSloan) do the TP from Tahiti to Hawaii?

We are doing the BTB in Jan. I am looking forward to the natural beauty and rugged areas of Marquesas Islands. We are doing a private all day excursion with Claude recommended by people on cruise critic. The web site of http://www.thepreismans.com is what made me want to book the BTB. His pictures made me want to go there. I will post when we get back more on Marquesas Islands. It is hard to find much information on them. I believe they only go there 10 times a year.

Cindy

Hi Kelly, yes it is funny meeting you here! Which October date are you looking at? I've had a Tahiti B2B (for Oct. '07) booked for some time now, and on our Xpedition trip we talked to people who had been and really enjoyed it. But, we have mixed feelings about the cruise, thinking that maybe Tahiti should be a land based trip on our way to Australia and N.Z. once my DH retires...probably within the next 5 years. Since the deposit is paid, we'll keep the booking for a while longer until we can make up our minds.

Catergirl and Cindygad - I'll look forward to your reviews and comments on the Marquesas! Enjoy!!!

Having enjoyed the Marquesas itinerary so much, I wish I could have done a B2B. Unfortunately there is only so much vacation time in a year. One of the disadvantages of having to work for a living. :) If you have any questions on the Marquesas itinerary, let me know.

Hi Mike, I have booked the all-day excursion with Claude on Nuku Hiva which sounds great. What is there to do in Hiva Oa, besides seeing Gaugin and Brel's graves? Does anyone offer any tours there? I noticed from the Bridge Cam that Hiva Oa was missed on the last TP cruise. The sea did look a bit rough. Does that happen often?

Susan,

Thank you for the nice comments. I am so glad you have enjoyed the review. You will love your cruise.

Dot,

Other than what we put in the review such as the graveyard, Polynesian Dance show and shopping for some incredibly beautiful wood carvings, there just isn't much there. I have heard from people that even said the diving was good around Hiva Oa, although I had heard it wasn't before we went. One couple that was in our CC group did a private tour there and enjoyed it, but it rained all day. It was also quite expensive. I didn't think it would be worth it after doing the tour in Hiva Oa. In the 2004-2005 season, we were one of the few cruises that were able to land. For this reason, they had to hustle to get vendors and dancers to the tourist area after we arrived.

Looking forward to meeting you Ralphie. Haven't met anyone from Arizona yet. Do you have any plans for Rangiroa yet? There may be a company we can book a snorkelling trip with if we have a group of about six. I hear the snorkelling in Rangiroa is amazing. I'll find out more information and post on our roll call.

We have B2B itineraries booked next October (Cook & Marquesas Islands), but I have not read many positive comments on the Marquesas Islands ports.

For those who have done it, just wondered what you did in the two ports there and what your opinion is of the Marquesas Islands?

Many thanks :)

We liked the Marquesas itinerary much better than going to Rarotonga. Read my review on our back to back. I think Nuka Hiva, Hiva Oa, and Rangirora and more special than the 2 sea days we spent going to/from Rarotonga.

Ralphie and dot - you can get a water taxi/snorkel trip right at the dock on Rangiroa and Claude's trip is wonderful!! Take francs as your lunch on the other side of the island is on your own.

Susan, We are considering the Marquesas itinerary next Oct too. I think the Xpedition trip has convinced my DH that cruises aren't a bad thing. It's funny that so many of the comments have been negative about the Marquesas. I want to go because, they are so untouched. Didn't Cathy (CSloan) do the TP from Tahiti to Hawaii?

We haven't done the Tahiti-Hawaii yet, that's coming up in Sept 2007. We had planned on Tahiti-Hawaii for 2006, but changed it to the Galapagos! So, now we're looking forward to sailing on the TP. Seems like Galapagos cruisers are attracted to Tahiti also!

Susan, I was looking at the 10/11/07 sailing but, nothing is for certain right now. Our anniversary is at the end of July and next year will be our 15th but, my DH can't go then. I started looking at other dates and noticed the Marquesas sailings which really appeal to me. I'm still waiting to hear from him when he thinks he could take off. Tahiti is on our list of must visit places. Originally I thought we'd do a land based trip but, it is so expensive. Also, I booked clients (I'm a TA) there and Hawaii for a honeymoon trip. They said they liked Hawaii better because, there was more to do. That's what made me think that Tahiti might be better suited to a cruise. We might still do a pre-cruise stay on one of the islands though. We'll see, after the Galapagos cruise the travel funds account is pretty low.

Archived