Westerdam disembarkation nightmare

bdmarine

Just got off the famous 10/29 Westerdam yesterday where we were privileged to enjoy an ample aft suite (6167). My wife is handicapped, but can get around a little bit with a cane. We received notification that for wheelchair assistance, we should be at the Explorer's lounge by 8:15.

We arrived and managed to find two empty seats and waited. After about a half hour, my wife asked me to help her to the bathroom. We went to the closest bathroom (aft), but it was not set up for handicapped access, so we proceeded forward to find a proper bathroom. We had a bit of a struggle getting passed the crowded gangway, where our color was already disembarking (but not the wheelchair crowd). We finally passed the gangway and came to a closed bulkhead blocking access to the forward part of the ship and the handicapped bathroom.

We worked our way upstream against a line going off the ship and found a way through the Queen's lounge to the handicapped bathroom. After the wife finished, we decided we'd do without the wheelchair assistance, since it would be almost impossible to get back to the Explorer Lounge.

My question is how can you put 50 or 60 handicapped people in a lounge with no handicapped accessible bathroom nearby? Are they all supposed to cross their legs or wear Depends?

HAL may not of thought of that when arranging the handicap waiting area. Please forward your complaint on to HAL headquarters to ensure they can respond and change their policies. After all, it seems the Queens Lounge and Northern Lights would be excellent locations for the Handicapp gathering.

Hope the rest of the cruise was a wonderful for you as for us.

Yes, we asked the staff continuously during the process. However, they seemed concerned, but they were very busy. Suggestions included going to another deck and then forward to the accessible restrooms and going back to our suite.

The rest of the cruise was wonderful and we will continue to sail with HAL. We have learned our lesson and will bring our own rental wheelchair for disembarkation.

Nightmare?

You're remark is uncalled for. I do hope that you never find yourself less than capable with a urgent need to use a bathroom and both distance and obstacles in your way. Yes, I can imagine it would be a nightmare to someone with a full bladder, first bathroom they are unable to use, deck crowded with all those folks waiting to disembark, difficult to walk and unable to find a suitable bathroom. I think it WOULD be a nightmare to think about the possibility of urinating on oneself in public.

IMHO, you owe the OP an apology.

Archived