Ginger-- how often to take for seasickness?

kpgclark

Well I'm assuming it is getting seasick. She has sailed twice on Disney cruises and has been bothered in rough seas. I wanted her to take something when we sail in a couple of weeks. The regular motion sickness meds totally knock her out. I got her sea bands which she thinks help and I'm trying not to give her regular meds this time. So the liquid ginger is not alcohol based. I think it has honey in it. I bought it from a natural food store.

Not sure if this will be helpful or not. I've only cruised once - earlier this year - and I took ginger pills as a precautionary measure. I took 2 in the morning of the day we sailed, one that evening, and then one more pill every morning when I woke up. I don't know if I would normally get seasick, but I do know that I have pretty bad motion sickness (roller coasters, planes, cars, etc.). I did not have any problems on the week long cruise and no noticeable side effects from the ginger. We're leaving this Saturday for our second cruise, and I plan to use the same method. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will work this time, too!

I'm not sure there are any hard and fast rules. I have the powdered extract capsules (550mg) and the label says 2 caps up to 2X - 4X daily. Tinctures usually have a recommended dosage like 20 drops in your favorite juice. I would start with whatever they recommend as 1 dose and do that 2 times daily as needed. You can always bump that to 4X if you wish.

Ok, I'm not sure exactly what you have but with it not having alcohol, that makes it easier. It's hard to have too much ginger, it's pretty good for you.

If the stuff tastes fine on it's own, then whatever the dosage is at least at each meal, but you could give her some in between meals also.

If it's too spicy on it's own, add it to soda like 7-up and make your own ginger ale, just with more real ginger. If she'll drink tea, adding it to an herbal tea like mint tea will give her a little extra ammunition against an upset stomach because mint is also very good for the stomach. Peppermint in particular.

Best wishes.

I've heard lots about taking ginger (I bought liquid) for seasickness. My 9 year old gets seasick. Does anyone have any idea how much and how often to give her the ginger liquid? I bought one bottle (not very big).

They have wristbands onboard or at stores, my wife used bonine which worked well when we ran into 10 to 20 ft seas on the oct. 15th. 22nd. cruise out of Galveston, best thing to do ask your Doctor as well!;)

I've heard lots about taking ginger (I bought liquid) for seasickness. My 9 year old gets seasick. Does anyone have any idea how much and how often to give her the ginger liquid? I bought one bottle (not very big).

We had 26 ft seas and 65 MPH winds saling out of Bayonne last week until the next morning and the Explorer was rocking! I took a bonine before boarding and both DH and I took another one after the captain's announcemnent we would be in for some rough seas. We never had any problem at all. A woman at our dining table that night was green. She went to medic and got some kind of pills but not bonine and also bought one of those wrist bands. Neither worked for her. The next day at the pool I gave her the bonine and she was fine after taking it. I wouldn't sail without it just in case! They are chewable and raspberry flavored so a kid should like them, just have a cup of soda or juice to give her afterwards as it has an after taste for a minute or 2. Check the box for dosage for children as I do not know it.

Just a suggestion... Whatever you decide, you may want to try it out sometime before your cruise. That way you will have an idea if she may have any adverse reaction to the ginger. You'd think not, but you never know. That way if she does become ill, you won't find youself wondering if it is just the sea sickness or if she might be having a reaction to the dosage of the ginger.

Why take anything foreign. My Mother in Law swears by the Seabands. She wears them before we lave for the airport until she gets home. They help her with motions sickness for plane and the ship. She wont use anything else. I personally dont have any problems like that, but she swears by them. You dont need a Dr permission and no foreign stuff in your body. One tip...dont wait until your sick to use them. Put them on way before you leave and you will be fine.

Just a thought....

Good Luck....

Herbsforkids.com has a great minty ginger that is made just for kids.

Here is the link http://www.herbsforkids.com/product.asp?productid=366

We used it on the 4 younger kids on our Disney cruise in Feb. One of my nieces gets really bad motion sickness just going down a curvy road. She had no problems with the Ginger. It doesn't have a bad taste either. We started them the week before we left and then gave them a dosage in the morning and again that evening.

Archived