Tenders? Any info please?

twojays

We have just booked our 2nd cruise.

(The first was a Mediteranean cruise with Costa.)

This one is to be a Caribbean cruise with Princess - but I notice that three ports of call say "Anchor" - so I presume this means Tenders will be used.

:confused:

Could anyone explain how these work?

- how much they cost?

- can you use them if you are not doing an organised excursion?

- and would this mean that once you have gone ashore, you may not be able to get back until the end of the day - or do they run at regular intervals?

Thanks for any information!:)

We have just booked our 2nd cruise.

(The first was a Mediteranean cruise with Costa.)

This one is to be a Caribbean cruise with Princess - but I notice that three ports of call say "Anchor" - so I presume this means Tenders will be used.

:confused:

Could anyone explain how these work?

- how much they cost?

- can you use them if you are not doing an organised excursion?

- and would this mean that once you have gone ashore, you may not be able to get back until the end of the day - or do they run at regular intervals?

Thanks for any information!:)

90% of the time, you will use the “life boats” from your ship. The other 10% are private boats from the port you are visiting. Your cruise line contracts these boats.

These boats shuttle from the ship to the port dock for the length of your visit. There is no charge, but the contracted boat operator might accept a tip.

These boats are the ONLY way you get off the ship. Passengers usually line up and it is either first come first serve or tickets are handed out so that passengers are not crowded around the gangway. Any excursion you may have will actually gather on the dock. Your ship may take you as a group to the tender so that your group stays together.

What ports are you going to?

There is no cost for the tenders from the ship. They generally go back and forth all day but depending on when you get there you may have to wait a while for one. So yes you could get off the ship, do your shopping for example, go back to the ship, and then get back off the ship again. It could take a while though as you have to wait for the tender to fill, then get to shore, unload and vice versa when you go back AND if you get there at a popular time you may have to wait in line for a tender.

When they first start tendering, priority for spots on the tenders goes to people who have booked excursions through the ship, then they let everybody else start tendering.

Princess Cays shouldn't be an issue at all. It is Princess's private island and you should be the only ship there.

Grand Cayman is always a tender port. Depending on the day you are there it can be quick or slow, it varies based on how many ships are in port that day. You can check www.cruisecal.com to see how many ships are in port with you. If there are more than 3 you would probably need to plan to stay off the ship all day as the more ships there are in port the more confusing tendering can be there.

Ocho Rios is usually a docking port so I'm surprised it says you will be at anchor. I'm guessing there will be a lot of ships in port that day, but again I would check Cruisecal to see.

Just been checking out the cruisecal website, as you suggested.

(I can see that will be extrememly useful, and so have bookmarked it!)

There are 2 other ships in Ocho Rios on the same day as us, and 5 other at Grand Cayman. So will take your advice.

You were right about Princess Cays - only our ship there that day.

So many thanks for that information - you have taught me a lot!

Archived