Hotel suggestions for Key West

twinkletoes4445

• 2 weeks later...

The Sheraton may be your best bet as the access to Ft. Taylor beach is thru a residential section and behind the security gate. As you can read from other posts, Ft. Taylor may be the better beach, but Smathers is not bad by any means. :)

Just a note: by staying there, you are quite a ways away from Duval Street and Mallory Square and the evening activities. Parking is a bear, so you may want to rent scooters to get around...Taxis are EXPENSIVE.....

Have fun!! :cool:

A better bet is to stay at the many guest houses they have there. It's usually cheaper and it usually includes a breakfast and sometimes evening Hor'dorves and sometimes wine. The beaches are ok, but try Atlantic Shores. It at the top of Duval St. That place is a great place to hang out during the day

The only problem that you might have with Atlantic Shores is the fact that it is a bit more eccentric than most of the traditional hotels (i.e.: Hyatt, Hilton, etc.). It has quite an active night life, has a nude pool, and markets itself to an alternative crowd, expecially homosexuals.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

I would second the Sheraton Suites recommendation.

Thanks for all the suggestions! We ended up booking at the Wyndham Reach Resort because I needed to book it right away (this trip came up suddenly). I have to admit I thought it would be cheaper being there in the summer, and was surprised at how expensive the rooms are (they only had suites left), but from the pictures I have seen, the beach and hotel is georgous. Our college kids asked if we try and find a place with a pool and a beach on the property. It sounds like the Wyndham has both, so it should make them happy.

We're only going to be there a short time, so I'll take a look around at all your suggestions which will make it much easier the next time we are there. I appreciate all your information.... :)

Well, the Wyndam Resort worked out well for us...the beach was small, but it was beautiful (and our college kids loved every moment of it). The room was fine (junior suite), but for the money (it was over $400 per room, per night and this is off season!), I would have rather visited Key West by cruise ship. Since it didn't matter to hubby or myself if there was a beach, we will check out other places should we be in Key West for any length of time in the future. One thing that really added up at the WR was the fees...parking and activites I believe was $14 per day, and Internet hookup was another $10 per day. Also, the taxes were something like 11% or so, so by the time we left, we were at $500 per day, per room. Key West is also a completely congested with bicycle, scooter, and assorted other vehicle traffic...so much, that we ended up taking cabs everywhere we went (we paid $2.50 per person).

I have to say I LOVED looking out our balcony and seeing the water! It was magical... :)

We stayed at the Hyatt a few weeks back for the Hemingway days festival. Beautiful hotel, nice pool and great mallory square/Duval crawl location. :) Pass on breakfast though. We spent $40 for two one morning. The next day walked 1/2 block to two friends bar/restaurant and was just as good for less than 1/2 price.

Enjoy

Well, the Wyndam Resort worked out well for us...the beach was small, but it was beautiful (and our college kids loved every moment of it). The room was fine (junior suite), but for the money (it was over $400 per room, per night and this is off season!), I would have rather visited Key West by cruise ship. Since it didn't matter to hubby or myself if there was a beach, we will check out other places should we be in Key West for any length of time in the future. One thing that really added up at the WR was the fees...parking and activites I believe was $14 per day, and Internet hookup was another $10 per day. Also, the taxes were something like 11% or so, so by the time we left, we were at $500 per day, per room. Key West is also a completely congested with bicycle, scooter, and assorted other vehicle traffic...so much, that we ended up taking cabs everywhere we went (we paid $2.50 per person).

I have to say I LOVED looking out our balcony and seeing the water! It was magical... :)

Next time stay at Island City House.... http://www.islandcityhouse.com/ Absolutly wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next time stay at Island City House.... http://www.islandcityhouse.com/ Absolutly wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I remember passing by this place (I believe), and it looked wonderful. This past time we were there, we wanted the beach on the property. Next time, we won't have kids with us, and I'll check out all the great suggestions I've been offered! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've stayed at the Westwinds before and it was peaceful and relaxing.

http://www.westwindskeywest.com We got a full no frills (no tv) for $80 + tax a night off season. There were two pools on property, continental breakfast, and a shared room with the rest of the resort with cooking area, fridge, tv, and free internet access. They also have other rooms with ensuite kitchen areas and tv. I didnt really want to do anything but relax and swim so it was a great rate and situation for me. Its also close to downtown and was within walking distance to Duval and the marina and restaurants.

Archived