Fun On The Sun

msd760

My wife and I just returned Sunday from the Sun and we both loved it. This was my first curise and i will cruise Norwegian again.The staff was fantastic and food was too. Pay for the special restaurants because they are worth it. The food and service there couldn't be better. We dined at all and didn't have a bad thing to say about any.

I love freestyle cruising and highly recommend it. It was nice eating when and where you wanted.

They would try to match you up with other people in the main dining rooms for lunch, which i enjoyed. We met alot of very nice people that way.

Speaking of the main dining area, freestlye doesn't go to dinner in your swim suit and flip flops. No shorts, tee shirts, or sneakers allowed after 5:30 PM. I liked that.

The price of drinks was alittle high but they all tasted great. I should know, I had many.

We also loved the nightly shows and there always was something to do.

The weather got alittle ruff but we still had a great time.

The ports were great. I loved Belize. It was a very neat and clean port. The people were nice and to pushy about selling you things. We booked a a snorkel trip when we got ashore and had a great time.The reef is beautiful there. After that we had lunch at Iquana bar and loved that too. I found couple a couple bottles of Ron Zacapa rum there, so i was ahppy about that.

Coata Maya is nice. We rented a cab and went to Majahaul to Pez Quadro, small beach club but very nice people. Fernando and his brother,(I forget his name), were the bartenders and they took good care of us. They even got us a taxi when we were ready to go.

Gautemala was somewhat bleak but we did the waterfall trip and loved it. I didn't like the shopping area and had some trouble with a woman trying to bargain for rum. She stopped me from buying it when i had made a deal with another woman at the stand, wanting more money. Shop in Belize. Better deals and less pushy people.

Cozumel was nice too. We just did some shopping and had lunch there cause the weather looked like rain. We had a good time and got some nice deals.

There were some small things with the Sun i didn't like, like the port excursion director. I found him rude and not willing to discuss anything but buying jewelry at places were he got a kick back.

But all in all i loved the sun and didn't let small things ruin my vacation.

We plan on sailing the Sun or another Norwegian ship in 2009 to Alaska.

Glad you enjoyed the Sun! My family and I will be on her in February. Where did you snorkel? We were thinking of booking a snorkel excursion once we got on shore and were considering Caye Caulker, but I'm open to suggestions. TIA

we booked our snorkel trip with Ecologial Tours and it went to Cay Caulker. It cost us $59 per person and we left at 10AM and returned around 230PM. The trip was fun, we went out to the barrier reef and snorkeled there about an hour. Carlos was our guide and he led us thru the reef. After that we went to shark/ray alley and spent about 45 mins there. There were rays all around us and Carlos grabbed a few and brought them to the surface for us to touch and take pics of. I went under one time and saw a 6 foot nurse shark around 30 to 40 yards away. After that we were supposed to go to beach for lunch and relax but it was raining and most wanted to go back to the port, so we did. If you are on the Sun, Egolocial Tours is right were they take you to shore. They are across the way from the Iquana Bar in a tiny shack. Only thing i didn't care for was there were people from Carnival Cruise line there also and their ship time was a hour ahead of us and Belize.They had to be back at the boat at 4:30 their time which was 3:30 our time and Belize. That made them panicy to about going to the beach.

All and all is was a good time and i would do it again if in Belize.

Archived