What to do with a 3 year old?

We are considering a cruise to the Mediterranean (mostly Italy) next year when our DS will be 3. Do you see many children on these iteneraries? What types of things can you do/see with a young child? Do you feel that most of the port stops (Rome, Florence, Naples, Nice, etc) are safe for a young child?

Thanks!

You certainly will see many children in all of the cities because they are standard destination for European families to visit.

All of the places are safe given that you wouldn't let your 3 years old venture out alone in any city.

Every child is different, in general it seems to be a good idea to choose a less port intensive itinerary or to skip some ports in favour of some relaxing days inbetween (at least for your child). Many children can appreciate a certain amount of culture and new sights, especially if you do not only visit "do-not-touch" museums but include hands-on experiences like playing on a square, touching the water in the fountains, feel the stones the cathedrales are made from, light candles.

There are some typical children attraction like amusement parks and zoos but that's probably not what you are going to Europe for.

One maybe suitable example for Rome: Visit the Galleria Borghese, great art, world famous statues by Bernini and more, afterwards stroll throught the surrounding gardens/park of the Villa Borghese with many lakes, areas for picnics, some playing grounds, even some carousels.

Or visit St. Peter's, rest either on the Piazza or on the roof of the cathedrale (half way up the cupola, reachable by elevator while the climbing to the top is probably to exhausting for a small child).

Many children are fascinated by Pompeji (to be reached by train from Naples). Do not expect to see much of the town with a small child but let it discover what is there, e.g. the shops and taverns.

"What to do with a three year old?" The same things you do at home; eat, play, ride in a stroller, walk, run, etc. A three year old will not pick up much European culture or history. Your son will still have a great time. He may not relate to Europe in a way you dream of, but he will chase pigeons and find interesting things on the ground, and be fascinated by what is going on around him.

We first took our son to Europe when he was eleven months old. My wife was good about keeping him on a schedule with a regular bed time. Keep you son rested and fed and the three of you will have a great time.

I agree that pigeons in the park may be the highlight of the trip for a 3-year old. If you could choose, I would leave him at home, but if you take him, just take it easy. You will find that interacting with the world on a child's level can be very enjoyable in Europe. Search the web for child-related sights in the various stops, aquariums, child-oriented museums, parks. Something as mundane as going to a local playground and having gelati afterwards may turn into fond memories for you as well.

Many children can appreciate a certain amount of culture and new sights, especially if you do not only visit "do-not-touch" museums but include hands-on experiences like playing on a square, touching the water in the fountains, feel the stones the cathedrales are made from, light candles.

What a wonderful answer!

I saw children, but not many that young. There was a couple who took 2 young child to Pompeii during our tour, but at that age they really don't know or will remember much. Plus the cobblestreets weren't exactly easy to push a stroller along.

If money isn't an issue and you would rather take your child (even after paying thousands in air and cruise fare for something they won't enjoy any more than a visit to a local park), then I would suggest putting the child in the daycare onboard some of the times. It's possible to do 1/2 day tours around the French Riviera and some ports like Sicily.

I've found the simple stuff is really what the younger kids enjoy anyway. In Rome they will be fascinated by the water fountains, and some of the entertainers (finger puppets, etc.) at Piazza Navona. Venice is very interesting to kids as long as you keep church visiting to a minimum (the water buses and gondolas are much more interesting). Florence is OK for kids around the public plaza, but I don't think they would like to see the churches or the fine museums there. There's a Boboli Garden there that may be good for the kids to run around in, but really more like a giant greenspace than a botanical garden.

Gelato and pizza can also be a nice diversion for them. Rome, Florence, Nice are generally pretty safe. I've been warned about Naple (and Rome), but mostly with pickpockets, not violent crimes. Do have to worry about walking in the streets with the traffic (except in Venice) - they are pretty bad and you need to make sure your 3 year old doesn't dash out to the streets.

Finally, I think there's a book called Italy with Kids that may be helpful (if a lot of your ports you are considering are in Italy).

Archived