Fantasy...Is it too old?

usa0367

I read many reviews of this ship but none really addresses my question. I have been on 5 other cruise (all carnival) in the past 10 years but I have never been on a ship more than a few years old because we have always gone on 7 day cruises.

We want to try the 5 day cruise out of NOLA but we are a little worried that the Fantasy has been in service since 1990. I'm sure it has been updated but will we feel like we are on an old boat?

I read many reviews of this ship but none really addresses my question. I have been on 5 other cruise (all carnival) in the past 10 years but I have never been on a ship more than a few years old because we have always gone on 7 day cruises.

We want to try the 5 day cruise out of NOLA but we are a little worried that the Fantasy has been in service since 1990. I'm sure it has been updated but will we feel like we are on an old boat?

In one word...no. Carnival spent twenty-five million dollars on this ship about four years ago and she was refurbished from top to bottom. She looks great and better than some of the newer ships. I would not hesitate to take the Fantasy. I have some photos in my link below of her just after she came out of her major drydock.

We were on Fantasy last Nov for a 4 day out of Port Canaveral and it was our first cruise. The ship was in fabulous shape and was in drydock last fall for a minor refurb. That cruise is the reason we're going on a 7 day (Glory) leaving this Saturday. Fantasy got us hooked. It's a smaller ship, but very well maintained and constantly being cleaned.

Is Fantasy broke? Sailing empty? Making money? I've always thought 15 y/o was adolescence. Newer and/or biggest does not necessarily mean better.

Out of 18 cruises the best service and food were twice on a 46,000 grt Celebrity ship.

we were on it in july. after drydock. some areas were clearly renovated (new children's area totally redone) others, clearly not (i.e. carpets in passageways were worn; walls in passageways not touched), but we still had a great time and thought she was a great ship.

I was also on the Fantasy and June and can't wait to go back. There is nothing about this ship that is old enough or dated enough to affect your trip. All of the common areas are updated and well maintained. This even means Texas Hold 'em tables and flat screen TVs.

Like one of the earlier replies mentioned, the hallway carpets did have some noticeable water stains but they still looked clean. The rooms are equipped with the new beds and have the keypad safes in them. No hairdryers but that's no big deal to most people.

The bottom line with the Fantasy is that it is clean, beautiful and a whole lot of fun. The staff and service are excellent as well.

Read my review if you get the time. There should be a link in my signature below.

I sailed her end of OCT. as some mentioned, the hallways had worn carpets, but the rooms were re done in that beige, red and gold. NO hair dryers. the only thing I didn't like about it was that the bathroom sink was pedistal and you lost some storage space. all that pinky/orange is gone!

it seem everything has been updated, there is now an atrium bar like the larger ships, cleopatras lounge is pretty neat (piano bar). I love the smaller ships in that you can eat outside on the back of the boat and watch the water.

the fantasy did not show her age much as far as wear and tear except for the hallways, it looked great:D

Archived