Report: Avalon Artistry Danube cruise

wbrumel

Just returned from a wonderful week aboard the Artistry, plus a three day pre-cruise stay in Prague. I am a veteran of over 20 ocean cruises, but this was my virgin river cruise experience. It will not be last.

Overall, I was impressed by Avalon. In fact it is difficult to find anything to be critical about, except the cancelled flight (Alitalia from Milan - the connecting city - to Prague). Obviously not Avalon's fault. But they willingly and quickly reimbursed us the cab fare from the airport to the Hilton Hotel, since when we finally arrived, it was well past their transfer times.

Prague was beautiful and filled with culture, architecture and friendly people.

The transfer to the Artistry was a pleasant 3.5 hr drive through countryside and the boat is sparkling clean and welcoming and comfortable. The cabins are similar in size to those on a Celebrity ship, and the french balcony was great for viewing the beautiful countryside and hearing the sound of the water. The tours and guides were great. The comments I read about the food (not enough) are unfounded. I never left hungry. There are limited choices (one fish, one meat, one vegetarian) each dinner, but everything was nicely prepared and presented by a pleasant and efficient (English speaking) staff. The lunch buffet was actually the best of all with a featured hot dish and nice salads. Breakfast was a buffet of the usual items, but there was also an egg/omelet station and a featured item each morning.

We are in our early 50s and were easily among the youngest on board. Most couples were in their 60s; many are over 70. But all were interesting, well traveled people and we enjoyed meeting many of them. The small ship experience allows you to get to know many of the passengers.

Had no problems with water levels.

It snowed in Vienna but was almost 70 in Prague.

Any questions, fire away.

Archived