Our TA beat CruiseQuick by...

ekerr19

A significant amount! :)

Given all the great recommendations about CruiseQuick on these boards, I decided to give them a try... first I pulled quotes from HAL's web-site (highest) then requested one from my regular, full-service TA in Seattle, then did the CruiseQuick quote...

For two cabins (5 people) on the Volendam sailing 3/20/05 - our regular TA's price was $834 lower than CruiseQuick! We are looking at a triple "BB" and an inside "I" category... This price does not include any shipboard credit we always receive from our TA...

I think I'll stick with them! We are pretty happy about the price and will go ahead and book it -

I have booked twice with Cruise Quick and it was a great experience. However, they do not always have the best price. I don't think any one agency can have the best price every single time. You do have to check around. I think the main advantage of Cruise Quick is that they are very efficient and reliable. When they have the best price, I book through them.

I'm curious about something... we have always used a full service TA - not always the same one - but we've been with our current agency the past 5 - 6 cruises.

I always shop around online - when I see a lower published fare for the same sailing, I print it and fax it to my TA. She then researches the validity - we've found the majority of published fares that are lower, are in fact errrors - but once, we did find one significantly lower, HAL verified is was correct and we got the lower fare.

My question is this - does anyone have experience with booking on CruiseQuick where the fare was reduced from their initial quote? Did CruiseQuick pass along those savings if you made them aware of the price decrease? Was it easy?

This is a big thing for me - we've always got the lowest published price on our cruise and if I were to book with CruiseQuick at some time in the future, I'm curious how easy it might be to get a fare reduction (or if its even an option).

I just booked the Veendam with cruisequick. They gave me a fare $350 lower than what they had published on their website. Later booked a second cabin and the quote was for the website fare. Replied back and told them we are Mariners and should be entitled to the same fare as our original booking and they came back with the reduced fare. Never hurts to ask.

I just booked the Veendam with cruisequick. They gave me a fare $350 lower than what they had published on their website. Later booked a second cabin and the quote was for the website fare. Replied back and told them we are Mariners and should be entitled to the same fare as our original booking and they came back with the reduced fare. Never hurts to ask.

Missylou-

Thanks for your post - I'm curious though, we had to get an email quote from CruiseQuick, they did not have any fares published on their site... am I doing something wrong?

Their price beat HAL's published by about 10% - but that's all - we even gave them our mariner number, so we should have gotten the mariner pricing...

ekerr: When you go to CQ, on the left hand side lists all of the cruise lines. I clicked on Holland and saw a listing for the Veendam for Nov of 2005. I clicked on it and it showed all of the cabin categories with pricing. Clicked on the button that says "book this cabin" and it brought up the usual page for a quote which I filled out. We are also over the age of 55.

Anyway I had a quote from another online agent and asked CQ to match it. they not only matched it but were $50 less than the other agent. So where the original quote for 2 was around $3300. They came back with of a price of $2938. They claim they will reduce prices if the fare comes down but on this particular cruise the balcony cabins are sailing fast and and I doubt that HAL will reduce the fares since they are filling up so early and the cruise is still 15 months off.

The suggestion I have that worked for me and got me a great rate is by researching the rates on different websites then going to *****.com. Announce the best price and ask if they can match or beat the best price.....you'd be suprised at the rates you will be offered. Choose the best price and BOOK!!! Good Luck!!

Missylou-

Thanks for your help! Sounds like you got a good deal! Have you sailed on the Veendam? It is my husband's favorite, a beautiful ship.

Sounds like CruiseQuick may have some specials - listed on the side of their web page... I will have to try it and see what we get.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to beat a savings of $834 - especially since we'll get at least $150 shipboard credit from our TA.

We'll see...

The suggestion I have that worked for me and got me a great rate is by researching the rates on different websites then going to *****.com. Announce the best price and ask if they can match or beat the best price.....you'd be suprised at the rates you will be offered. Choose the best price and BOOK!!! Good Luck!!

I will have to check that one out... thanks!

I have had my price reduced by Cruise Quick. Just emailed them with the lower fare that was being offered and they sent me a revised invoice. For the cruises I have booked with them, they were the lowest I found after a lot of research. They temporarily stopped booking HAL cruises because HAL was not giving them the same pricing they were giving other agencies. Since they are again booking with HAL, they apparently have resolved the issue.

I have had excellent service and pricing from Cruise Quick. Emails are answered promptly and they make every effort to give you what you ask for. I have transferred a booking to them, made cabin changes, submitted coupons, etc....all with no problems. Their service is not for everyone...some people do not like having only email contact, but I have been more than satisfied with them. I find it nice to have everything in writing...no confusion that way.

Guest alexMD

I always check several websites (sometimes up to 10) that I have in a folder in my "Favorites". I also check with my local "full service" TA. It pays to compare.

Some quotes are incredibly good, such that they make me suspect that either 1) the cruise line gives out a few ridiculously low-priced cabins to certain TA's as an incentive or 2) certain TA's hold certain cabins when their price hits rock bottom, and keep them until they sell them.

In any case, I'm not really sure what a "Full Service" TA does for me that an internet TA does not do. Most of the time, the internet TAs are available longer hours, give lower prices, and seem to have more time for me than the local shops.

i have read so much good advise on these boards that i hope some of it will stick with me when i make our next booking

...because we had used cq in the past and been able to resolve booking problems that came up, with them, to our satisfaction...i was quick to jump at the cq offer, for our next booking nov 3...but my concern was that i make my booking before the rush...(i think i booked 10 months in advance) and did not check out the available cabins but trusted cq to find the best compartment for me (...and how would they know?)...that was outside and big..., i accepted their suggest b133... and could not wait to make my final payment...

then i noticed the mariners med 7 category upgrade promo...by this time, cabins above b were sold out and i was told i was already paying less than HAL was now asking for th remaining categories...

next time, i hope i cover all the basis before i rush to give HAL my $$$.

but at the end of the day, i am just glad to be on the "boat."

There is no magical answer for where always to get the lowest price/best deal. I'm using Cruise Quick for my next cruise but who knows after that. Could be I'll be back to my long time TA, could be another one of the Internet based agencies, or it could be the cruise only store front down the street from my house. Seems to me that some agencies have better arrangements with some cruise lines and can get better rates for any given cruise. Doesn't appear to be universal though and changes from cruise to cruise. All I can suggest is do your research and look/ask for quotes. I figure TA's are there to provide me with a service and part of that service includes the lowest fare with reasonable support. As much as I like my real live TA, and she's been booking cruises for me for 10 years, it's still business and not personal.

I'm working on booking my 3rd cruise now and I have a question regarding the internet vs. conventional TA as far as upgrades go. I shop for most stuff on the internet, and I did my last 2 cruises online...went well. I'm wondering if some of you seasoned cruisers have an opinion on weather you've gotten better upgrades with a conventional TA? I got a tip on a TA that really works hard to get upgrades, and I'm wondering if I might be better off in the long run, even if the rate isn't quite as low as some internet quotes. I know this isn't a black and white answer, of course it woudl depend on how much the price difference is, and I know there is a big element of luck involved. Just looking for general opinions.

BTW....I just discovered this site..and it's great!!

Thanks,

Chris J

Ah yes.....the Upgrade Fairy. What a fickle and mysterious wonder. Seems to me that there are times, or more properly cruises, where the Fairy runs around throwing upgrades out like beads at Mardi Gras. And if not an upgrade then some amount of on-board credit is sprinkled on a selected few. What wonderful wonders! Look around the board and you'll read great stories about moving from over the props to the Penthouse Suite....OK...maybe not quite that far but who knows what magic can happen. Then there are cruises where the Fairy is nowhere to be seen or heard from. Hooray for the former and boo on the latter. Truth be there is no way to tell if the Upgrade Fairy is going to appear or not. Certainly the best chances for upgrade are for those who have booked the least expensive cabins, say for instance some inside cabin on a lower deck. It's kind of a matter of geometry......the higher up in the pyramid of cabins you get the fewer chances there are for upgrade. The downside is that if you book a lower category cabin, when you really want a verandah cabin midships, and the Fairy doesn't appear then you may get stuck with it. The more philosophical here simply say "Well....I'm on the cruise and that's really all I care about". Others, though not many, come here and whine that they counted on an upgrade and it didn't happen. The truth is that this board probably represents several thousands cruises a year and only a few get upgrades. Book what you want and what you'll be happy with and don't look back with regret if you don't get visited by the Upgrade Fairy.

Here is something to think about. What is an internet TA? Many TA's now days have internet sites and some are even full service, where some are cruise only. There are some that are email only like CQ and others you can talk to a real person on the phone.

The TA I have used the past couple of years was found through a cruise magazine before the internet was loaded with them. They had a web site but did not have on line pricing. There are many out there where you can talk to a person on the phone. Would you consider these TA's as on line TA's?

We have used CQ and when there was a reduction in price ( even after we had made our final payment) we received a great upgrade thanks to CQ.

Before we discovered the world of online booking we had booked a cruise with a local TA in the mall. We discovered an online price approx $100 pp lower and went to our TA and asked them if they could meet the price or do an upgrade or onboard credit. They just would do nothing and basically said just go ahead and cancel if you want to. We would lose $$ if we canceled so we just went ahead with the cruise but learned a good lesson there. Next cruise was online and every cruise thereafter has been online booking. We do our homework before booking by shopping multiple online agencies that are reputable. Some cruise lines have better associations with particular agencies than others. Depends on who you want to cruise with. Some agencies are tighter with their commissions. I know that not all TA's treat their customers like we were treated but it just got us to move off the dime and do more homework on our own. Too bad that TA did not make some effort to help because they lost a good customer who cruises 2-3 times a year. :p

I recall readding here a couple of months ago that for a while, CQ was not booking HAL temporarily. Never did hear why the suspension.
I can tell you why the suspension because I was directly involved. I was working with CQ on a booking back in April and wanted a category higher. They stood firm on their price and I booked a "guaranteed BB" category. Shortly after, I saw the same price on a BA category at SmartCruiser and contacted CQ. Ray at CQ got back to me explaining they had an ongoing issue with HAL with regard to giving the "big guys" better deals. So until he could resolve the issue once and for all, he decided to stop booking HAL.

He then worked it out with HAL and began taking bookings again. I was given my cabin request in the BA category and was happy. Earlier this month I again saw a lower price at SmartCruiser for Category BA, got in touch with Ray and he again went into negotiations with HAL. He then lowered my price to match the one at SC.

I agree with everyone here that you have to shop around each and every time. There will never been one agent who can always give you the lowest price. But my experience for 3 years is that CQ is pretty consistently low. And they have bent over backwards so I do tend to go to them first each and every time.

I am always open to a bargin, but when I checked smartcruiser for a cruise we recently booked -their price was over $700 PER PERSON higher than what we got from another agency. You might want to consider checking some other agencys. I realize every agency can not always have the best price for every sailing but $1,400 seems like alot to me.

Not to worry, whenever I'm booking a cruise I compare prices from at least 7-10 agencies, both internet and local. I do this over a period of a month or so and then I stay on top of it after booking. There is no way any agent could price lower than what we're paying now for our upcoming cruise without HAL paying me to go on the cruise.

Archived