Currency in New Caledonia and Vanuatu

CruzieChick

Thanks, Tropicalshowers, looking forward to shopping for vanilla beans!

How are they priced - by the bean or by weight? How much $$? Can you get them in supermarkets, market stalls?

What about the coffee?

Would be grateful for any info, thanks again

Thanks, Tropicalshowers, looking forward to shopping for vanilla beans!

How are they priced - by the bean or by weight? How much $$? Can you get them in supermarkets, market stalls?

What about the coffee?

Would be grateful for any info, thanks again

Hi again acdc.

Firstly the vanilla beans. When we were at Lifou in the little market at the wharf, they were sold in plastic zip bags for about $A5 per bean. The P&O tour co-ordinator noticed my hubby checking out all the herbs & spices & said not to buy them as we would get them as part of our tour to the Cliffs of Jokin. Which we did.

When in Villa we saw them at Au Peche Mignon (Pastry shop... worth a look if you haven't already put on 10 kgs!!). Don't recollect the price. No doubt they could be bought in any supermarket in Villa as well. We never had time to visit the food markets in Villa, but I'm sure you would find them there too.

I bought the coffee at Au Bon Marche Supermarket (near the town markets) for about 450 vt...haven't got the outside packaging but feel it was about 200grams. The coffee came in various sizes and I bought the smallest. Also saw it in another touristy type shop in foil packaging (more glamorous!)and in different flavours...vanilla etc. but don't recall the price. No doubt it would be a little more pricey.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

does anyone know if you can change small amounts of currency anywhere? The tour book said that you need vatu if doing the horse riding as they only take vatu for beverages/refreshments etc. So just want to exchange about $20 just in case?

• 9 years later...

Mystery Island the stall holders will accept Aussie Dollars we normally take Vatu to help them out particularly the children with coins.

Depending on what ship you are on CPF are normally sold onboard. However the local tour operators and the Hotel on the beach will take your Aussies Dollars as well for there very overpriced drinks, last time we were there it was $11 for a beer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums