Celebrity's Pirate Extravaganza on Brig Unicorn?

CanuckCruizer

I know there is a thread about RCCL's pirate trip - but every cruiseline does have slightly different tours, so I have a few questions for anyone who has been on this tour. It is a 4 hour trip that leaves at 12:30 pm for $78US. It says that you get off at Pigeon Island to swim, hike or do a pirate's treasure hunt. How do you get off this pirate ship? Do you have to swim to Pigeon Island or are there small boats that take you or does the pirate ship actually dock? I have knee problems and am concerned about getting off this ship. During our research, we have learned that Fort Rodney, Signal Hill, a museum, an English pub, a restaurant, and two white sand beaches are on this "island". My dh wants to explore Fort Rodney and of course, have a drink at the pub. I want to lie on the beach. Is all that is described at the same place? Are there any beach chairs and what about toilets? If you go on the pirate ship - how long are you at this place - a short time or do they give you two hours or so? Apparently, the drive on land is only 20 minutes so not sure how long the pirate ship takes to get there. We are trying to figure out if the pirate ship tour gives you enough time at Pigeon Island - otherwise we will have to take a taxi there and skip the tour. Does anyone remember what kind of snacks are provided? Strange that lunch is not given as it is at 12:30 for 4 hours. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Canuck

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Canuck,

We're on the Crown Princess in February and are taking this excursion as well...Our son (11) is stoked about being on the same ship that Johnny Depp was on...I've got knee problems as well but I know you take the tenders in to shore and they have a rope that you can swing off the ship as well..Always great to risk your life while on vacation, oh well you only live once..I'll try and find out more info for ya, if you hear anything let me know

Thanks

Craig

We were on this excursion in Oct. The Brig Unicorn is great fun. An 11 year old boy will be in 7th heaven. The Captain of the ship let a young man steer the ship for about 20 minutes (he was about 10 or 11). That child will never forget this adventure. Have your son ask the Captain. More than likely, if your son just goes back where the Captain is, the Captain will ask him if he wants to steer it. Several of the crew and Captain were in all three episodes of Pirates of the Caribbean. We did tender from the ship to Pigeon Island. There is a pub at the small dock where you get off the tender. The last 100 yards getting up to Fort Rodney is very interesting---straight up. I don't remember beach chairs on the small beach where we were, however if you go over near the motel there are chairs. There are several modern showers and restrooms where you would be going if you take the Brig Unicorn. There are also restrooms on the ship. The ship was really amazing. All the men were living a childhood dream. The ship was our main interest. We weren't on the island very long (maybe 1 1/2 hours). Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the NCL Pearl on Feb. 2nd and have just booked this excursion. Now I am really excited. We are taking our DD & her hubby and our two grandkids 4 & 5 years old. Maybe the Captain will give them a spin at the helm. ARRRR! I know they will love it...and our SIL is a BIG kid at heart. I KNOW he will be swinging from that rope!

Thanks so much for this info. We were just going to go to the beach for the day until we saw your post. I love all the info you get from CCers. Thanks everyone!

PA Cruisers

I haven't checked this forum for awhile and was very pleased to see replies to my question! Thank you, Canadiancruisers11 for your info and thank you very much, Nanafour for your detailed account of the tour. We have now booked it and we are very much looking forward to it. I think 1 1/2 hrs on Rodney Island will be plenty of time for my dh to climb up to the fort while I crash on the beach. Glad to know that we don't have to "swim off" the pirate ship to shore-lol. Do you remember if they served unlimited drinks and what snacks they had, by chance?

Thanks again!

Canuck

We are on this excursion as well on the 25th of Jan. We are taking it through Carnival who calls it the Caribbean Pirates Adventure. My 20 year old is way pumped, and, OK, I dug out my eye patch and wooden leg. Yarrr!

• 2 weeks later...
We were on this excursion in Oct. The Brig Unicorn is great fun. An 11 year old boy will be in 7th heaven. The Captain of the ship let a young man steer the ship for about 20 minutes (he was about 10 or 11). That child will never forget this adventure. Have your son ask the Captain. More than likely, if your son just goes back where the Captain is, the Captain will ask him if he wants to steer it. Several of the crew and Captain were in all three episodes of Pirates of the Caribbean. We did tender from the ship to Pigeon Island. There is a pub at the small dock where you get off the tender. The last 100 yards getting up to Fort Rodney is very interesting---straight up. I don't remember beach chairs on the small beach where we were, however if you go over near the motel there are chairs. There are several modern showers and restrooms where you would be going if you take the Brig Unicorn. There are also restrooms on the ship. The ship was really amazing. All the men were living a childhood dream. The ship was our main interest. We weren't on the island very long (maybe 1 1/2 hours). Hope this helps.

We are thinking of this tour, but wondered how crowded it is. Also, Is there access to shade for those of us that just burn not brown?

Hi we were on RCCL EOS last March and did the Brig Unicorn Pirate Extravaganza with our 9-year old daughter. You definately have to fight for a seat if you want to sit down in shade. Most of the time we were standing in drink line for the infamous Rum Punch. Daughter loved as she got to steer twice and a friend and tablemate were on same excursion. They allow kids to mock fight with people on the island and shoot cannons at them. (not real ones of course, but it is loud) The pirate treasure hunt was fun, even adults participated. The beach was nice where they tendered us to. I believe there is a Sandals Resort next to the little beach we were at.

Satff and Crew were very courteous, danced with you and made you feel welcomed. We wanted to do this when we go again this March but Celebrity does not offer it. I have been trying to find it online to book independently as my daughter has begged to do again.

Of course in St. Lucia don't miss the opportunity to take water taxi over to Castries and go inside the flea market. Way better prices than if you dock at Souiffre; you can really bargain especially if no other ships are in port that day.

We just did the Brig Unicorn last week and had a great time. We took the early sailing, left at 7:30 am. Had a bit of rain on the way to Pigeon Island. I got to man the helm for about 20 minutes and loved it. The Captain and crew were excellent.

Small boat you have to climb in and out of to get to Pigeon Island. We didn't find any treasure but we did participate. The climb to Fort Rodney is tough, it's pretty steep but didn't take very long. We had an hour and a half on the island. No chairs were available on the beach but we still swam. Just got a drink at the little restaurant. We really enjoyed this excursion and my DH had a great talk with the Captain about the ship.

• 6 months later...

We are on the Miracle Oct. 22nd, and have booked

the Unicorn thru Carnival...

I Have a few questions...

Does it really fire Cannons?

How Long is the ride to Pidgeon Island?

Does the ship take you back? or do you

ride buses back to the ship...

Is the ship in the Harbor right next

to the Cruise ships?

Is it very crowded on the ship with 110

people?

Any input would be appreciated, we're

excited about this, it sounds like real fun... :)

Thanks for your help...

The Moore Family

• 2 weeks later...

The cannons are not real, but you can't tell the difference. You ride the Brig Unicorn to and from Pidgeon Island, which is a pennisula attached to the island of St. Lucia. The beach you stop at is next to one of the Sandals resorts on the island. Beach chairs are not available, restrooms are. We brought snacks off the ship since food isn't served on this tour. The Brig Unicorn is docked near the cruise ships (5 minute walk). It didn't seem crowded at all. The Brig Unicorn was also used during the filming of the movie "Roots". The sell T-Shirts with the ship logo etc. The XL's sizes sold out fast. This is a great "family" excursion. The staff on the tour was great.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done this through NCL? My sons really want to go on this ship since it was in Pirates of the Caribbean? Is this the one they used as the Black Pear or is it just another ship used in the movie?

How long of a sail is it to the island? Are any snacks provided or just drinks?

Thanks!

We just went on this excursion a few days ago. We were on the Carnival Miracle October 22 sailing, but barring small details, the experience should be the same as it would be through NCL.

I've seen claims that the Brig Unicorn was used as the Black Pearl, but I don't believe they actually made that claim during the excursion. The ship was used in at least the first two Pirates of the Caribbean movies, as well as the series Roots, many years ago.

The Brig is about as authentic as you can get (other than the bar area on the deck, and the engine(s) that are used if there is not enough wind), and the experience is a lot of fun. The crew are entertaining and invite a lot of participation from the guests.

I'd guess that it is 45-60 minutes each way to and from Pigeon Island, and you are there about 1 1/2 hours including tendering to and from shore. In addition to beverages they had complimentary bags of various snack chips, that were always available.

There were people of ALL ages on the excursion, and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Jeff

Archived