My First Solo Cruise

solojo

Yes I did take a shower. No I do not have bad breath. This really did put a big damper on my cruise. I felt awful that people were looking at me sitting at this big table all by myself. I think the Maitre d should have put me at a empty seat at another table. I 'm not sure that I would eat in the dining room on my next cruise , that's if I can get over the embarrassment of this one. Has this ever happened to any other solo cruisers.

Hi Jo, I would stare at you too, WITH ENVY!~ I would think to myself: "How great a solo has so much confidence that she/he could cruise it alone." P.S. I'll be going solo on the Dawn sunday, will look for the stares :D

I went on a cruise solo, my first, in February and had a table for 8 all to myself and I really didn't care because I figured I had the best seat in the whole dining room...right at the stern of the ship with a full moon nonetheless. It was absolutely wonderful. Solo is solo....who cares what others think!;)

I went on a cruise solo, my first, in February and had a table for 8 all to myself and I really didn't care because I figured I had the best seat in the whole dining room... Solo is solo....who cares what others think!;)

Back in 03, I was seated in a table of 8. Seemed the other folks were all friends and had decided that the late seating was to late for them. So for 35 days I sat by myself. Did I care, not really. I had a good time with my waiter and his asst. And I didn't have to deal with dull, boring conversations that I had to deal with when the other 7 people were there for the 2 nights that they were. I went to dinner, took care of biz, then left to persure other adventures.

It seems to me there are two solutions (besides avoiding the dining room) in a situation like this. First, you can book a freestyle cruise (a la NCL), which will allow you to sit with whomever you like whenever you like, including an intimate table for one, if that's what you prefer. Second, on cruises with traditional dining you can ask the dining staff to reseat you, if you prefer. As you may know, it is not uncommon to request a change in seating or dining time.

Happy cruising, everyone!

Paul

Archived