What is the biggest difference between Carnival and RC?

I've been on two Carnival cruises, and I loved both. I'm just starting to look into my third, and I saw a few RC deals that seemed decent.

Have you cruised both lines? Were there any major differences between them as far as cabin space, food quality, etc.?

Specifically, what was better on Carnival? What was better on RC?

I have been on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I like both lines and depending on where I am booked next determines who's my favorite at the time. On RCL's Voyager class you get the skating rink, rock climbing wall, a private stop in Haiti, and all the same sort of other activities Carnival offers. The clientel seems more mixed on RCL....we took a lot of the family so we had children through retirees. A great line for that; there was elegance when you wanted and partying when you wanted that. On Carnival you get a big water slide and a more party-hardy crowd with a lot more "intensity". We choose it for the kid's program and the complete fun-let-yourself-have-a-blast feeling....and price.

I have found RCL to be $200 more per person and worse. The balcony cabins are nicer on RCL but comparable in size and upkeep.

Food is a mix. You'll get people raving about how much better one is than the other...we have enjoyed the meals on both lines...both with some exceptions. You'll have that anywhere.

Either way you won't go wrong.

I found the VOyager last year to be 200 cheaper pp then Carnival. I liked both lines. Like the previous poster stated-- Royal has the rock climbimg wall, ice skating inline roller skating, mini golf. But Carnival had a better choice for me for night time. I found the service and the food to be equal on both. Staff was superb on every cruise I have ever taken.

I pick my cruise based on price and itinerary.

IMO - there is very little difference between the 2. We have been on 4 Carnival Cruises and 1 RCCL. Found the food on RCCL to be disappointing (way below both Carnival and Princess), but for the right itinerary and right price, we might try them again. Also should note - we were on the VOS on their first sailing out of Bayonne - that may have something to do with the food. We have never had a problem on Carnival at all and would cruise with them again in a second!!

JMO!!

IMHO, I prefer RC over Carnival. Again, IMHO, the biggest difference I found was with the actual passengers. I found Carnival to have a greater number of folks who broke the rules and lacked basic etiqutte. Other then that, Carnival was great; food, service, ships were all fantastic.

After 14 cruises I would suggest RCL's Radiance class ships. (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel) Those ships have so many glass walls that you are always aware of being at sea. The most beautiful ship I've seen is the Brilliance of the Seas. Both lines have excellent entertainment and facilities for families including the kids. Food and service are comparable.

Those that only sail on one line will never know if it's the best match to their taste and enjoyment.

The two most obvious differences between Carnival ad RCCL are the ships' decor and the average age of the passengers. Carnival ships have a lot more neon and bright colors, RCCL ships have more glass, wood, and brass. I've also found the average age on RCCL to be noticeably older. The food was equally good on both lines, with RCCL having the edge in the size of the portions and Carnival the winner for variety of dining venues and 24-hour food availability. Carnival's cabins are larger but RCCL's are better designed for storage. Service has been equally good on both lines. I've enjoyed both cruise lines and make my booking decisions based on the best deal available at the time I wish to cruise.

I've been on two cruises, RCCL and Carnival. They are very similar. The differences I remember? RCCL gives you a full silverware setting, Carnival gives you one set to last the full course.

The Midnight Meal was much more decorative on RCCL than Carnival, more work put in to the food carving.

I "saw" a lot more kids on Carnival than RCCL, however I expected that.

Age and behaviors and the two ships had no difference.

The biggest differences to me were cabin size and decor. Carnival's cabins were larger while the RCI decor was less bold. Both are fun lines so you can't go wrong with either, at least on a 7 day cruise or longer.

For me

Carnival had larger cabins. RCI furnished them more nicely

Carnival had much better food. RCI served it more nicely

Carnival had better froo froo drinks. RCI served them more nicely

Carnival had a water-slide that was rarely open. RCI had many things depending on the ship you are on. They can include a rock-climbing wall, miniature golf, ice skating.

Carnival has 24/7 pizza and salad. RCI does not.

Carnival generally has a party atmosphere. RCI generally has a resort atmosphere.

During my last cruise, RCI was tinkering with the room steward ratio which resulted in inferior service. I hear it is getting better. Carnival has been getting better and better as the years go by.

I sail on both. Carnival cruises = 6. RCI cruises = 6 cruises

Next time I'll probably be back on Carnival

The nightlife is the biggest difference. On RC, the bars were empty by midnight at the latest. And I was on Mariner of the Seas earlier this year which allowed 18 to 21 year olds to drink beer and wine. They were all running around wasted and throwing up on doors (literally) the whole week. I know alot of people have that opinion of Carnival but the Carnival ships I've been on has only been 21 and up to drink. I'll stick with Carnival and professional party people who can handle their liquor!!!

i have cruised both rccl and carnival, most recently the carnival pride (last week) and the navigator of the seas (last summer). the food on the pride was much better than the navigator of the seas which is rccl. however, the navigator is a much more beautiful ship in terms of decor and activities. you can't beat the voyager class ships for activities, they have the rock climbing wall, the ice rink, roller blading area, mini-golf and a full size basketball court among other things. the pride is a beautiful ship, but much smaller than the navigator--2000 people on the pride, 3000 on the navigator.

the radiaNce class on royal carribean is more of the size of the carnival pride--or spriit class ships. both are ideal for families. it really depends on where you want to go. we've also sailed on norwegian and enjoyed that cruise as well. if you book a newer ship you should have a great cruise. as far as the shows were concerned, we found royal carribean's shows to be much better than carnival. although carnival claims not to serve anyone under 21, we found that they did not card our kids at all, one of which was under 21. royal carribean allows those 18 and up to buy beer and wine.

we also foudn that on our cruise at least, there were no wild little kids running up and down the stairs and monopolizing the elevators, which we did find on our royal carribean ships.

would I cruise either line again? yes, depending on whom we went with. for families, you can't beat either line. if i were to go with just my husband, we'd pick a more upscale line.

bpolan

carnival pride

navigator of the seas

voyager of the seas

soverign of the seas

legend of the seas

vision of the seas'

carnival holiday

...RCCL gives you a full silverware setting, Carnival gives you one set to last the full course...

On the Carnival Conquest, our knife and fork were picked up after we finished our salad and a new fork and knife (steak knife if the main course warranted) were brought out before our main course was served. Does this constitute a full silverware setting?

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCL and a often Carnival Cruiser (8 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises: Mariner vs. Glory

1) RCL has a conceiges lounge

2) Carnival has a waterslide

3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)

4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets), Carnival had one.

5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.

6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.

7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.

8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court

9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations

10) In my opinion, the food is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)

11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival.

12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCL more upscale.

13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

14) The Room service menu on RCl was much nicer than CCL - More Choices!

Hope this helps.

Host Terry

Wow! So much to consider.

I LOVED my Carnival cruises, and I was just wondering whether I should try another line for comparison. However, the things I loved most (spacious cabin, delicious food, and yes, the 24/7 pizza bar) seem like they are better on Carnival!

The decor is nicer on RCCL. Food, entertainment about the same. RCCL has a movie theatre but the movies are ones that have been out a couple of months and will soon be on video. RCCL does not have a self laundry. On both lines the waiters do little things to entertain you. Both do the towel animals.

The only RCCL ship I have been on is Sovereign which I believe compares pretty well with Fanasty- Carnival's competition for Sovereign. I have not been on Fanasty but I have been on both Fascination and Inspiration- fanasty class ships that were really similiar to each other. I felt I was on the same ship they were so similiar.

Now I have not been on a Voyager class ship but from what I have read Carnival really has nothing to compare with that yet although I have been on Miracle a spirit class ship; which would probally run a close second to a ship like Marnier or Naviagator. I also know Carnival has the Conquest class ships which are a step above the spirit class ships but still like 20,000 tons smaller the Voyager class ships. So I would not think even them can compare to voyager class ships.

I believe Carnival has the bad rep as the "cheaper" line because she offers more mini cruises then RCCL. Most of the mini cruises are on really old ships so naturally they are not as nice-but then they are also much more affordable and I believe good value for your money.

This is what I feel if you are looking for a quick getaway and a good value-the mini cruises are great. If you want a really nice vacation go for one of the newer more expensive ships. Just don't try to compare a ship like Jubliee or Holiday to Marnier of the Seas as it is grossly unfair. After all there is a reason why Holiday and Jubliee are more affordable.

One thing too like the last post said-you do get bigger cabins and 24 hour pizza on Carnival. I personally did not like Sovereign when we had 3 to a cabin-just too cramped. Hubby and I kept our beds separate as our daughter would have to climb on one of our beds to get out of the top bunk. The second time we sailed her we only had 2 to the cabin as my daughter shared a separate cabin with my sister. Sovereign was fine then when there was just 2 of us to a cabin.

I agree with just about everything "Host Terry" said. I have been on both lines and took an RC cruise in May. It was horrible! The service was terrible, food was bad and the extras like rock climbing, mini golf, etc we couldn't even use due to wind. My husband had 2 words for me- Never again! His first cruise was Carnival and has always said Carnival was it for him. The service has always been superior and the food wonderful! Free in room movies too!

One thing RCL has over CCL: Crown & Anchor repeat guest program. The more you sail RCL the better your rewards. On my upcoming Adventure cruise I have received the following perks:

1 $100 shipboard credit for booking while on Serenade of the Seas

2 $100 reduction on the price of the cabin (C & A platinum)

3 $ 50 off coupon as a thank you for sailing with us (Sovereign of the Seas)

4 $150 off C & A coupon :D

This is what I received from Carnival:

Triumph cruise price decreased $80 p/p after final payment :p

1 $100 shipboard credit (originally offered upgrade to cat 11 but I prefer the cat 9A wrap-around balcony)

For me, I'll always look to book RCL first (going for C & A diamond) but will look at other lines (really thinking hard about booking Princess) too.

My Serenade pictures

I have sailed both lines - and not including my last cruise in May (very bad experience :mad: ) I do not see why some feel one is much more superior than the other.

We loved the food on Carnival, and quite honestly I feel it was better than RCCL. Not to say their food wasn't good (we won't discuss the ranch steak) but Carnival had the BEST pizza, and I found more options. I must say first of all that I have a lot of weird food allergies (onion, garlic, scallion, chives, shellfish, radishes, cilantro) so it makes it difficult for me to order, not a problem with Carnival. However RCCL does have better sugar-free desserts; however diabetics watch out - the sugar alcohol was a killer.

As for the shows, both had outstanding shows. We did have headliners on RCCL in January - Charo was on board, plus 2 people I had seen on HBO. Maybe if I had been on a 7 night Carnival cruise I would have found bigger names, my only cruise so far was a 4 nighter.

Cabins - I like Carnivals set up much better. Larger rooms, and larger windows. Plus the showers are bigger. Plus on my Carnival cruise they gave you razors and toothpaste and little things like that. Nice touch.

Cruise staff - both ships had excellent service.

Favorites on each line

RCCL - the ice show is wonderful, and the midnight sailaway parties up on deck are a blast. Found the smaller ships to throw better sailaway parties at midnight when leaving ports, promenade cabins, parades in the promenade

Carnival - piano bar, relaxed friendlier atmosphere, dining service more attentive and provided entertainment to staff, shows - seating much more comfortable and they offer more games for guests to participate in, bingo (maybe cause I won on Carnival and not RCCL), disembarkation was smoother, pictures - not as pushy at least in my opinion, and last but not least Fun Ship Freddy - I know its cheesy but I like him

A TA said to me that Carnival offers quantity, while RCCL offers quality. I think this is wrong, they both have provided me with high quality service (except my May cruise :mad: ) but we found that we did more on group activities with Carnival where as on RCCL we did a lot, but mostly on our own.

Enjoy whatever cruise you take. :cool:

I've been on two cruises, RCCL and Carnival. They are very similar. The differences I remember? RCCL gives you a full silverware setting, Carnival gives you one set to last the full course.

I heard another poster complain about this but I have to say that on the 3 Carnival Cruises I took, silverwear was replaced with each course!!

I have been on two four night RCI cruises and many Carnival ships. I find them to be similar but I could not help wanting to be on the Navigator OTS when she was docked next to us in San Juan while on the Triumph in March. She has a awesome look. I will now be cruising on this ship in December and will see for myself if RCI's seven day cruises equal Carnival.

Cubby there was one disapointment we had with Carnival Miracle. Although our extended balcony room was a great size our bathroom was pitiful looked like sovereign of the Seas insided cabins there. Our oceanview on Inspiration was like double the size of the one we had on Miracle. Our Miracle shower fit the joke about soaping the walls and spinning around.

So anyway Carnival's bathrooms are not always bigger then RCCL.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on my first RCCL cruise in June. Really did not like the open seating thing at dinner. Seems like service suffered as a result. Been on three past Carnival cruises and going on the Glory in Oct. I love it that the waiters knew our names and did special things for us. Example, I drink decaf iced tea. And I like a special kind. So I brought my own tea bags, asked them to brew it then ice it. After the first night they always asked for the tea bags and made it just right.

As for decor...RCCL I think it was Radiance of the Seas that we were on does have more light and windows and marble and granite. But the CCL Spirit was amazing with all the art deco touches and wood work. Now, I have to say, the Glory with all the different "color" themed rooms looks a bit much to me but we'll see what it is in reality.

Carnival food smaller portions, but that's O.K. because then you can eat more later!!!

Never even knew which of the cabin stewards we saw out in the hall was ours but on Carnival they come and introduce themselves and on the Spirit, I had several conversations with our girl about her homeland...Russia..very interesting.

Radiance did not have a supper club but on the Spirit, we went twice actually because the service and food was outstanding. We like talking to people and I enjoy hearing about people's lives from other countries, the service staff on Carnival have always been so friendly but RCCL just didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

I would like to try the RCCL with the skating rink, etc if the price was right. So far, with a Frequent Carnival guest discount plus discount going through a broker on-line, I can't beat the Carnival pricing.

Archived