Disabled Parking in Miami, still free?

Sandgnat

Oh, this is such welcome information! We've been worrying over how to handle our situation. You see, I have a permanent placard and I cannot walk...AND, we have a 2 year old toddler. (God bless my DH, right? I know, he's a saint!) Anyway, I was just frantic about how we were going to be able to get the bags, the baby and me all into the ship without my poor DH busting a gasket. (We were planning to drive the car to the port, drop everything off, drive back to the hotel to park and then catch a shuttle.) If we are able to park for free, the trip back to leave the car at the hotel isn't necessary and will save us a great deal of heartache.

THANK YOU so much for your helpful comments and notes here. I will plan to park at the garage, but if it costs, we'll turn back and take the car to the hotel/do the shuttle. (((praying for free parking!))) ;)

While I agree that it seems right that we all have to pay for the same service, I'm grateful to have free parking since medical costs are so expensive! That money will be well used in my treatments. ;)

Is this available for those of us who do not have Florida plates? I have a handicapped tag but do live (or pay taxes) in Florida.

Yep. Florida's website says they recognize tags from all states, and we just used GA plates at the Port of Miami. No problem at all.

• 1 month later...

It use to be free in Fort Lauderdale (Broward County) years ago. They actually passed a law that said it was no longer free except for modified vehicles. In Miami (Dade County) it is free at all of the city parking facilities as well as at the port. I think it might even be free at parking meters.

I can't remember if it is this way all over the county or if each city makes it's own rules.

It's a state law that mandates the free HC parking, but cities/counties are allowed to override this EXCEPT for vehicles that have been modified for a person with disabilities [a ramp, hand controls].

At Port Everglades, you WILL be charged for parking if you do not have a modified vehicle, even though you may have a HC placard.

We have a van with a ramp. When we are leaving the cruise parking garage, we have to show my husband's HC placard and his driver license. Then a supervisor is called out to inspect our van and see that we have a ramp.

I believe we fill out some info, and then we are good to go.

It's much the same process at PBI. I don't know about other airports here.

I have a modified van, and I have a toll exemption sticker issued by the State of Florida. I have been exempt from tolls in every port terminal and airport EXCEPT the port in Tampa. I was told that the port has a private company that owns and operates the parking garage.

Sherry

• 6 months later...

OK I started this thread quite a while ago but am going to go out of Miami again in October. Some one told me that parking with a HC placard at the port is no longer free. Does any one know the truth about this now? Thanks for your assistance.

Here is an exerpt from Port of Miami web site. Handicapped parking is still free.

=====================================================

There is no Valet Parking at the POM.

Due to security precautions Car/Shuttle rental company facilities are not located on the Port of Miami premises.

Long term parking is $20.00 per day for cruise passengers parking for 24-hours/overnight or longer per cruise length.

Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking.

All Cruises in the current itineraries would fall under Long Term Parking.

Oversized vehicles such as motor homes, truck with trailers, or buses that are over 20’ in length will be charged an additional $20.00 per day and can only park in Lot # 2.

At this time, Handicapped parking is Free.

The Port of Miami currently has 3 Parking Garages available for Cruise passengers. The total capacity now available is 5,871, with 56 dedicated to the handicapped and 7 to passengers with young infants. The top floor is open to air at each Garage. There is also one outside Parking Lot available as well.

Here is an exerpt from Port of Miami web site. Handicapped parking is still free.

Due to security precautions Car/Shuttle rental company facilities are not located on the Port of Miami premises.

Long term parking is $20.00 per day for cruise passengers parking for 24-hours/overnight or longer per cruise length.

Short term parking is $7.00 if you are coming to see someone off but, not intended for overnight parking.

Oversized vehicles such as motor homes, truck with trailers, or buses that are over 20’ in length will be charged an additional $20.00 per day and can only park in Lot # 2.

The Port of Miami currently has 3 Parking Garages available for Cruise passengers. The total capacity now available is 5,871, with 56 dedicated to the handicapped and 7 to passengers with young infants. The top floor is open to air at each Garage. There is also one outside Parking Lot available as well.

Thank you I looked but could not find it and was told by someone else that they changed this policy. Good to know we can save some money.

• 4 months later...
Can you park in any spot in the garage if the HP spots are taken? Can someone tell me which garage is used for RCL cruises?

They give you their special handicapped placard at the entrance, so you can park whereever you find a space. You'd best ask abouit RCL over on their site.

Can you park in any spot in the garage if the HP spots are taken? Can someone tell me which garage is used for RCL cruises?

I don't know about RCL, but for Carnival there was no garage available; we had to park in an open lot. And you can park anywhere in the lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to find a thread about stuff to do in Key West and found this thread of dingles griping over the handicapped parking in Miami. I intend to use the free parking because my boyfriend has had open heart surgery and a total knee repair in the past year. Since we are not permanently disabled I didn't feel like I had much place trying to explain to them why free parking for the disabled was not cheating the able bodied. You can find the thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712637

I kinda felt more offended by these people than the people who book handicapped rooms for the extra space. Especially the one that suggested renting the handicapped just for the free space.

They did say something about the car has to be tagged in the handicapped passenger's name. Is that true? I was planning on driving my car and I don't have a handicap tag.

I was trying to find a thread about stuff to do in Key West and found this thread of dingles griping over the handicapped parking in Miami. I intend to use the free parking because my boyfriend has had open heart surgery and a total knee repair in the past year. Since we are not permanently disabled I didn't feel like I had much place trying to explain to them why free parking for the disabled was not cheating the able bodied. You can find the thread here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=712637

I kinda felt more offended by these people than the people who book handicapped rooms for the extra space. Especially the one that suggested renting the handicapped just for the free space.

They did say something about the car has to be tagged in the handicapped passenger's name. Is that true? I was planning on driving my car and I don't have a handicap tag.

You cannot get handicapped parking w/o the designated tag. If he's handicapped then he needs to get the proper Id tag from your local MVB. They issue temporary ones too. Explanations don't work. Try explaining it to a police officer. NG. And no, the car does not have to be owned by the handicapped passenger.

He has a state issued placard that is put on the dashboard or hung from the rear view mirror in whatever car he is in. I was under the impression that would suffice. The tag has his name' date=' a state generated number and expiration date, etc. all printed on it.[/quote']

If he has the placard that's fine. You should have said that initially. He will fill out a form when you enter the parking facility. Easy peasy, parking is free.

Archived