What could have been better on your cruise?

Tinalou

Can I ask: Why is it that everytime someone makes a negative comment about P&O regardless of the topic, they get slammed. I understand a lot of people enjoy cruising with P&O and this site is a great resource for first timers, but I believe everyone's opinion is important. If I was a first time cruiser I would be glad to read some negative comments to prepare me for the dissapointment I may face. I went away on my cruise after reading everyone's great comments, was expecting so much (due to the great rap you all gave) and had the most dissapointing holiday ever. To be fair, why not let the negative comments go through unscathed? Why all the bitching and negativity towards someone who disagrees with your opinion?

I don't understand how anyone could have such a bad time on P&O Aust?

What was so terrible about your cruise?:confused:

From your posting name sounds like you are the same age as me. (I'm not knocking your opinion.:))

Just genuingly(Spe?) interested.

I am now beyond the night club, stay up real late stage. But to me, I had the best time ever. Great food, great service, great live shows, beautiful islands, great night and day time activities.

How can you not have fun on a cruise? When is your next cruise? Will it be with P&O or another company?:)

I think it's because we have had such a great time that we find it hard to understand how anyone, other than suffering sickness, could not enjoy themselves. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it but would like to know what it was that made your cruise so disappointing. I know that your feelings about life in general can influence whether you enjoy youself or not. I imagine this isn't the case with lolliepollie so would love to know what spoilt her holiday.

Wow, I haven't been on for quite awhile and look whats happened. Things are getting a bit personal with NovemberBravo1974 and his nasty comment to Howsthis about Gitmo. Not nice. I see we have our own Australia P & O site. Great altough I didn't mind sharing with our overseas P & O fellow travellers.

Can I ask: Why is it that everytime someone makes a negative comment about P&O regardless of the topic, they get slammed. I understand a lot of people enjoy cruising with P&O and this site is a great resource for first timers, but I believe everyone's opinion is important. If I was a first time cruiser I would be glad to read some negative comments to prepare me for the dissapointment I may face. I went away on my cruise after reading everyone's great comments, was expecting so much (due to the great rap you all gave) and had the most dissapointing holiday ever. To be fair, why not let the negative comments go through unscathed? Why all the bitching and negativity towards someone who disagrees with your opinion?

There is nothing wrong with negative comments, as you say people need to get a full picture of the cruise experience. There have been plenty of negative comments made by most posters, myself included.

But when someone describes well maintained ships that have had millions of dollars spent on them in recent year's as being "barges....on the last stop from Alang Beach getting turned into scap", they need to be challenged, because comments like that simply aren't true. While I don't partlicularly like the styling of Pacific Sun, and they've made a pigs breakfast of the rear end of Pacific Star, I don't think either ship is ready to go to the wreckers.

If you were looking at going on a cruise ship and saw a post that said the ship was one cruise away from a wreckers yard, with out any other information to the contrary, you would think twice about going on it - I know I would.

And if lots of people take that attitude, where will cruising in Australia be? We certainly don't have a market for a ship like the QE2 or QM2, we get the ships that fit the needs of the market. So they aren't grand trans-atlantic cruisers, so what.... I can't see a group of shearers from Longreach going on the QM2 and having a good time.

I don't understand how anyone could have such a bad time on P&O Aust?

What was so terrible about your cruise?:confused:

From your posting name sounds like you are the same age as me. (I'm not knocking your opinion.:))

Just genuingly(Spe?) interested.

I am now beyond the night club, stay up real late stage. But to me, I had the best time ever. Great food, great service, great live shows, beautiful islands, great night and day time activities.

How can you not have fun on a cruise? When is your next cruise? Will it be with P&O or another company?:)

There were a few things that were a dissapointment. I found most of the staff were not happy to help with anything. We felt like we were putting them out (we didn't ask for much but when we did it was as if everything was such an effort for some staff).

No complaints from food but for some reason our table waiters didn't like anyone on our table and were quite rude. We stopped eating in the dining room because of them.

night time entertainment in atlantis was ok when we could see it. we were on second sitting dinner so therfore went to the later shows but early sitting diners chose to come to the same shows as the later sitting therefore the majority of us missed them or didn't bother going.

theme nights were ok but most people didn't get involved- its not really a party when 20 people turn up!

There really wasn't much to do that was of interest to my partner and myself.

Look I can't remember everything now. I'm not blaming my disapointing holiday on p&o. It is a mixture of things. I do know though if my partner and I cruise again (I love cruising- he didn't enjoy himself) it may be with a different line as I think some of them appeal more to us (range of activities etc) I personally don't think that they cater for everybody. Children and older people (retirement aged?) were catered for with activities. I guess with all the publicity that P&O gets now they can't really run them as the "fun ships". I went on the fair princess when I was 18 and has the best time I can remember having. everyday there was something different and was a blast. people of all ages got into the parties and generally all got along. on our cruise we had people bashing each other over washing machines. I guess the reason I didn't enjoy myself was because times have changed so much, people have changed and 70% of the cruisers were 60 and over. I didn't have a problem with the look of the ship. I must admit it looks a hell of a lot better in the brochures but it wasn't a rust bucket ready for the scrap heap. Maybe cruising isn't for couples but rather groups/families.

In summing up, for future cruisers...... don't go with high expectations or you will end up disappointed like me.

P.S apologies for the rambling and not having this in any particular order.... I have had to write this when my boss hasn't been looking over my shoulder.

Lets hope the Pacific Dawn will be more appealing to Aussie cruisers, its sad to think that some don't have a lovely time. I am really looking forward to the Pacific Dawn and hope my expectations of it won't be disappointed.

Yes, the Pacific Dawn sounds great! I am going to book for 26th March 08 on the Dawn, within the next few weeks. :)

There were a few things that were a dissapointment. I found most of the staff were not happy to help with anything. We felt like we were putting them out (we didn't ask for much but when we did it was as if everything was such an effort for some staff).

No complaints from food but for some reason our table waiters didn't like anyone on our table and were quite rude. We stopped eating in the dining room because of them.

night time entertainment in atlantis was ok when we could see it. we were on second sitting dinner so therfore went to the later shows but early sitting diners chose to come to the same shows as the later sitting therefore the majority of us missed them or didn't bother going.

theme nights were ok but most people didn't get involved- its not really a party when 20 people turn up!

There really wasn't much to do that was of interest to my partner and myself.

Look I can't remember everything now. I'm not blaming my disapointing holiday on p&o. It is a mixture of things. I do know though if my partner and I cruise again (I love cruising- he didn't enjoy himself) it may be with a different line as I think some of them appeal more to us (range of activities etc) I personally don't think that they cater for everybody. Children and older people (retirement aged?) were catered for with activities. I guess with all the publicity that P&O gets now they can't really run them as the "fun ships". I went on the fair princess when I was 18 and has the best time I can remember having. everyday there was something different and was a blast. people of all ages got into the parties and generally all got along. on our cruise we had people bashing each other over washing machines. I guess the reason I didn't enjoy myself was because times have changed so much, people have changed and 70% of the cruisers were 60 and over. I didn't have a problem with the look of the ship. I must admit it looks a hell of a lot better in the brochures but it wasn't a rust bucket ready for the scrap heap. Maybe cruising isn't for couples but rather groups/families.

In summing up, for future cruisers...... don't go with high expectations or you will end up disappointed like me.

P.S apologies for the rambling and not having this in any particular order.... I have had to write this when my boss hasn't been looking over my shoulder.

I'm sorry your cruise didn't go quite as you expected. Hopefully your next one will be better. :)

It's a shame the waiters weren't very good on your cruise. I have always found the crew, especially the waiters, to bend over backwards for you and always service with a smile and have conversations with you. Maybe you were unlucky and got a bad waiter?

Good luck with your next cruise!

Hi cruisers.....

for the young folks wishing to cruise the first time....ask your travel agent to advise you on what cruises to take that will be suitable for your age group, activities etc. ..

.for people who don't have children, that wish to cruise without many kids on board, choose cruises that are not during school holidays.

for the cruisers who don't like so many old people on board.... I am sorry, the retirees (I am one of them) are the people who have the time and money to travel , so expect to see us on a ship anytime.. a mixture of younger and older cruisers is a good thing.

for the cruisers who have a problem on board...eg.. waiters who were not nice.. don't let it go until you get home unhappy..... report it to the head waiter or Matre de. also the not so friendly people at the pursers desk... ask to speak to the purser or when you get home, write a letter to P&O, telling them exactly what the problem was.. they read every letter, I can assure you.

there is also the end of cruise paper asking your opinion....tell them the truth about how your cruise was for you personally. they won't know the problem if you don't tell them.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

I to would like to let you know that you are the one who makes a cruise what you want it to be.I have cruised 16 times on different vessels of differing companies and have always enjoyed myself together with my family.There are the big costa ships which i find the best for a lot of reasons in particular the service, to the little ship FUNCHAL great for always being in company of very few passengers and almost feeling like a family.P&O has been one of my favourites ever since I cruised on the magical CANBERRA the ships of this company are meticulesly maintained to a very high standard.I always go on P&O Australia cruises because i love the Pacific Ialands we visit even if i have been there lots of times. JUST ENJOY YOUSELF!!

....P&O has been one of my favourites ever since I cruised on the magical CANBERRA ...!!

Lucky you marconi. I would have loved to have sailed on the Canberra. Was looking at a website dedicated to her the other day and I still think she looks like a beautiful ship.

Karen

HI adf the FUNCHAL is a lovely small ship which you can enjoy because the crew get to know you like a part of a family.Small club atmosphere and good food.The ship is pretty old but maintained in excellent condition and it has the old time liner feel to it. You can have a 2 night cruise to nowhere or a 38 day cruise to Southampton ex Fremantle.Prices are very good on the long cruise if you have enough time.Hope this helps you.

Frank.

Hi Karen,Believe me she was a most beautiful ship and I do not think you can compare the atmosphere of those bygone days of the liners come cruise ships because they crossed heavy seas and they were real ships,very good homely service pretty good food,no buffets but we had first and second sittings for all our meals.

Frank

Hello Everyone,

This is the most Ive ever posted on a BBS. In response to a few more postings.

.....................................................................................................

Well I have to say that you will be missing out on cruising with us. And it may be a good thing you won't cruise on P&O because you would be miserable the whole time and probably be the person who complains the whole time, about every little thing!

Hope you enjoy your future cruises, though I do say you are missing out on something spectacular! I think P&O food is fabulous! There is no way it could be compared to RSL food.The food is one of the many reasons I return. It is so yummy.

Actually No I dont complain at all and am far from miserable, Im laughing that you presume this because someone disagrees with you opinion. An observation in the negative stance is not a complaint its the voicing of an opinion which is why we are here on this board.

Yeah I am all broken up I wont get to sail with you. I must have missed your section on the P&O website which lists the Number 1 shipboard attraction being an audience with yourself or narrow minded fanatics that beleive P&O local offering ( excluding Pacific Princess and Sun Princess in 2008 ) are the be all end all of the ocean cruising experience.

As for Food different strokes for different folks. Having worked in restaurants in my younger days under a strict Scottish Chef I certainly have a respect for food and the cullinary arts at the highest level.

.....................................................................................................

Lets hope the Pacific Dawn will be more appealing to Aussie cruisers, its sad to think that some don't have a lovely time. I am really looking forward to the Pacific Dawn and hope my expectations of it won't be disappointed.

Pacific Dawn ( ex Regal Princess ) is a real opportunity for P&O to get product delivery right at so many levels and to so many markets. Whilst

the design of the Regal Princess has some questionable features and may

have not been the best executed plan in the history of Naval Architecture

IT IS THE VERY BEST OFFERING EVER PROVIDED TO THE LOCAL MARKET and thus has far more potential that an old Carnival or Costa Line disguard which in reality dont cut it anymore in the home markets.

I for one as should most seasoned cruises be excited and very

interested in following how Pacific Dawn will merge into the local P&O

operations. I will most certainly consider sailing on this ship once it gets through its shakedown period. If P&O get it right with this they will make

more money than ever imagined. ( Gavin Smith I think is the CEO out here for Carnival has got an opportunity most exec would love to have dont screw it up by thinking half better than half assed is excellence set the bar higher! )

There is nothing wrong with negative comments, as you say people need to get a full picture of the cruise experience. There have been plenty of negative comments made by most posters, myself included.

But when someone describes well maintained ships that have had millions of dollars spent on them in recent year's as being "barges....on the last stop from Alang Beach getting turned into scap", they need to be challenged, because comments like that simply aren't true. While I don't partlicularly like the styling of Pacific Sun, and they've made a pigs breakfast of the rear end of Pacific Star, I don't think either ship is ready to go to the wreckers.

If you were looking at going on a cruise ship and saw a post that said the ship was one cruise away from a wreckers yard, with out any other information to the contrary, you would think twice about going on it - I know I would.

And if lots of people take that attitude, where will cruising in Australia be? We certainly don't have a market for a ship like the QE2 or QM2, we get the ships that fit the needs of the market. So they aren't grand trans-atlantic cruisers, so what.... I can't see a group of shearers from Longreach going on the QM2 and having a good time.

For certain The Australian cruise market can not sustain a QM2 or QE2 size ship ( We can all remember when the local cruise market was in oversupply at several times in the late 1980s early 1990s when the market proved it could not sustain such a capacity. My gripe however

is that Australia has long been the dumping ground for ships who no

longer compete at an International Level, Both P&Os current offering have lengthy service histories with Carnival and or Costa. They are here beleive it or not because they have no other market to go to. If you think this is being Anti P&O look what Costa is doing in China with Costa Allegra ( A clapped old cargo ship conversion cruise ship which is long over due for the beach. Maybe they could it swap for the yet unscrapped Norway! ), Look at how RCCL is getting involved in Asia with Rhapsody of the Seas ( Being pulled from short haul Mexican and Carribbean Cruises ) Ships that due to increased market expectations and customer expectations that dont cut it get cut from the 1st Grade Team really quickly. Look for a moment how the Princess Fleet has been dispursed overtime to P&0 UK, Ocean Village Cruises, AIDA Blue Cruises of Germany and way down the list in last place P&O Australia.

If Pacific Sun and Pacific Star didnt come to Australia they would have most certainly been sold off if not scrapped. ( P&O traditionally didnt like reselling old tonnage and risk direct competition, Carnival has a somewhat different viewpoint on this topic )

Why does P&O have contempt in the local market to offer 2nd rate ships yet ask in real world terms a first class rate. ( Based on RCCL, Celebrity, Princess Rates sold in the open marketplace )

I feel like riff raff now! Here i was thinking I was something special laying back on my deckchair cruiseing the south pacific eating great food having the best time ever and now i find i was on a floating RSL.Damn

Please Chill Out, Open a Brew and a Bex Powder and take a deep breath.

I didnt use the Term Riff Raff, Nor did I imply at all that a cruise on P&O from Australia was the vacation of dreams for the unwashed. I NEVER SAID THAT, once again your Loyalty to the brand is to be commended ( Im getting an image of the P&O Australia Fanclub looking like A bunch of Taliban on a trip to the Beach - Ah just kidding comeone we all are cruising folks which makes us all better travellers to start with!!!!! Besides I think there is a pool at GITMO ( Guantanamo Bay ) )

I drew my points from personal experience after a cruise on RCCL Enchantment of the Seas in April 2003 and Pacific Sky Cruise in November 2002. I wasnt unfair as to compare numerous other cruises Ive been on. Yes no point comparing Crystal Harmony to Pacific Sky but I think RCCL was not unfair stretch. And most certainly an in-depth comparison I had with some passengers of Carnival Spirit whilst In St Marteen didnt fill me with confidence on Carnival ( P&O Australias parent company ) with confidence over how good they run there ships in comparison to others.

Food Didnt come close to Dinning Room Food on RCCL , Entertainment was awesome on RCCL compared to P & 0 which at times lacked depth and struggled from both a Performance Point of View and audience interest level.

By his inferences NV1974 is someone who knows good quality and has first class tastes. Shame his spelling and grammar spoil the effect. Sorry, that was a bit nasty!

I didnt think we were being marked for grammer. This is a Cruise board, The Grammer board is over at the NSW Education Deptartments website www.leftwingenglishteachersofAustralia.com.au . Come on howsthis you got to do better than that. Just like P&O should be doing a better job for the money all you folks pay.

NB1974, to most of the people on this board P&O Australia caters to their needs just fine. I dont think anyone boards the Sun or the Star expecting the ships to be of the same quality as those in the RCCL fleet, given they were both built in the mid 80's, but I doubt anyone cares. They are still going on them for a holiday and to have a good time.

If me and my friends had the money to cruise on an overseas line, then we would have. But lets face it, we could not afford return international plane tickets, accomodation and then the spending money for the ship on top of the cost of the cruise ticket. I mean, the air fare alone to anywhere in the USA is more than what we are paying for our cruise.

Not everyone on this board has the kind of money to cruise overseas, but those who do keep coming back to P&O Australia and they keep enjoying it. Take Aussie Disney Fan for and example, she sailed on the Summit earlier this year and loved it. She also sailed on the Star recently and thoroughly enjoyed herself too (From what she has told us). So it would appear that not everyone is as fussy as you.

P&O offers us a service in their cruises, and if people keep paying to use that service then they will keep providing it.

( Im getting an image of the P&O Australia Fanclub looking like A bunch of Taliban on a trip to the Beach - Ah just kidding comeone we all are cruising folks which makes us all better travellers to start with!!!!! Besides I think there is a pool at GITMO ( Guantanamo Bay ) )

And even though you were kidding, that sort of comment was not called for.

Hi star-man....thank you for your comments, regarding nb1974 .mine exactly.

We cruise with lots of different cruise lines, but keep coming back to P&O . the atmosphere is welcoming each time we go on board....

some more up market ships we have been on. have been lovely ships. beautiful food, great shows at night. but no atmosphere.

to nb1974... Regarding the Hawaiian cruises. been there done that 3 times, but no good if you like a casino. laws do not allow them to open.

If you are travelling as a family, it is out of reach to most for Air, etc before you even buy the cruise tickets.

you are entitled to your views, as this is cruise critic, but ,you are at the mercy of wolves here, as we all love to cruise P&O.

kindest regards ...Lorraine:) :)

NB1974, to most of the people on this board P&O Australia caters to their needs just fine. I dont think anyone boards the Sun or the Star expecting the ships to be of the same quality as those in the RCCL fleet, given they were both built in the mid 80's, but I doubt anyone cares. They are still going on them for a holiday and to have a good time.

If me and my friends had the money to cruise on an overseas line, then we would have. But lets face it, we could not afford return international plane tickets, accomodation and then the spending money for the ship on top of the cost of the cruise ticket. I mean, the air fare alone to anywhere in the USA is more than what we are paying for our cruise.

Not everyone on this board has the kind of money to cruise overseas, but those who do keep coming back to P&O Australia and they keep enjoying it. Take Aussie Disney Fan for and example, she sailed on the Summit earlier this year and loved it. She also sailed on the Star recently and thoroughly enjoyed herself too (From what she has told us). So it would appear that not everyone is as fussy as you.

P&O offers us a service in their cruises, and if people keep paying to use that service then they will keep providing it.

And even though you were kidding, that sort of comment was not called for.

Star-man, a very well written reply, I am sure you will have done very well in your exams. Thank you for stating what most of us feel. Hope you are having a great time and hope the weather is good for you. Happy sailing!

Archived