How slippery and steep are trails to Emerald Falls

kchobbs

My wife and I will be in Dominca in December. We have a 16 month old son with us and my wife will be 4 months pregnant. We would love to go to Emerald Falls, but the Princess booklet suggests that this trip involves walking on slippery trails and steep terrain. For any that have ventured to Emerald Falls, how bad are the trails? We are in our 30-s and 40s and are fit, I do not want to have my wife over exerting herself on these trails though. I could carry my son in a backpack if necessary.

If it is too difficult of a venture to see the falls, any other less vigourous tours to see some of the nature of Dominca?

The hike to Emerald Pool is not at all what I would call strenuous or steep. It really is not difficult and it's pretty short -- hikers would probably describe it more as a walk.

The thing that I think would complicate this trip, for a pregnant woman and for someone carrying a tot (or for anyone, really) is that the footing can be a bit tricky. It can be uneven in a few spots, and you will be creating your own path over boulders at some points. You want to have some traction on your shoes.

If I remember right, there is quite a long portion of the beginning of this trail that is effectively a staircase, with packed sand and fine gravel that becomes very solid (cement) from being trampled with wet shoes -- and there is a wooden railing along this portion. You could certainly start down the staircase/trail and change your mind at any point. There are a number of points at which one of you could stop and wait, and the other could finish the walk.

I would *not* recommend the last several yards for a pregnant woman or someone carrying a young child -- which is to say, I would not recommend either go to the point where you actually enter the pool. The footing over the very large boulders is just too tricky there.

Overall, I would describe it as "tricky" but definitely not "strenuous."

Archived