Ameri Brit

hinkley

Is it worth me taking my laptop on board ? or should I use the the ships computors, is there a difference in charges?

If not platinium or elite (meaning you pay for the ship's internet cafe computers) the cost is pretty even either way. It was $.35 a min but I have heard it has gone up to $.50 recently. The wifi is about the same.

The nice thing about wifi is you are not paying for reading and typing time if you are doing email. In the internet cafe you cannot download or upload files (pictures / docs / etc) because of the virus threat. So if you need to email doc for instance, your laptop is the way to go.;)

My laptop was stolen from an Island Princess cruise in 5/05. Unfortunately, I was never able to identify exactly when it was stolen, so Princess did nothing to assist me with my problem -- between ship / shuttle / hotel -- all booked through Princess. It was in my carry-on bag between layers of clothes in its own padded case. Someone opened the bag, took it out of its case, left the case & covered it back up with my clothes. I saw it the morning when I packed it & it was not in the bag when we reached the hotel. So, if you do take it, DO NOT let it out of your sight -- not even to be loaded on a shuttle sponsored by Princess.

I agree, if you don't HAVE TO have it, don't bring it!!

It's really such a hassle to travel with a laptop these days, not only because of security but also the potential to have one stolen, that the only way I would recommend taking one is if you absolutely had to have it.

What I did was get a cheap small(12" display), second hand laptop for my "traveler". It is light and small and easily fits in my carryon. I use if only for my photos. I only loaded the OS and image software and I have nothing on it except my pictures.

This was if I lose or it gets stolen it I am not losing all my personal information and data.

Archived