Suggestions as to "what to do?" Nevis & Antigua

Martita B.

Anyone have suggestions as to "what to do/see" in Nevis (Charlestown)

and Antigua? The Pride calls on Nevis, Dec. 27th and Antigua, Dec. 29th.

I've not visited either Island. On Nevis, Fodor's Caribbean 2006 suggests visiting a Mr. Rasta Man, "Sunshine" Caines~~a beach shack, larger than LIFE! Hmmm??? His special drink is a "Killer Bee" rum punch!! (I bet it does STING!":eek: )

Thanks!

Martita B.

Pinkie

Antigua has become one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. The harbor there is one of the most beautiful around. Below is the write up from the Silversea's site of the excursion I took in March. I do not know if something like this is offered on your cruise. I will put in black my notes. ;)

ANU-A) Spectacular Antigua

Port: St. John's, Antigua

3.5 Hours | $54.00 | Morning | 08 Dec 2006

Tour involves moderate walking, some on uneven ground. There are 18 steps to the viewpoint at Dows Hill. We recommend wearing comfortable shoes and lightweight clothing.

Antigua is home to a beautiful national park in which lies the famous English Harbor and Nelson's Dockyard named after Admiral Horatio Nelson, who served here in the 1700s. Your tour begins with a 35-minute drive to the national park area.

Dows Hill Visitors Center

On arrival at the center, a cultural audiovisual show will introduce you to Antigua, both past and present. Enjoy the panoramic view from the center's hilltop location, reputed to be second to none in the Caribbean - a photographer's delight. On a clear day, the volcanic island of Montserrat located 27 miles away is visible.

This is a nice show of the history of the island. You are in a room seating on a stool and as the show goes on you rotate around the room while seating on your stool.

Leaving the visitor's center, a short drive will take you to the most southerly point of the island. A well-preserved blockhouse from the late 1800s is a reminder that this locale served once as a strategic lookout point.

Shirley Heights

Continue to nearby Shirley Heights. Named for Sir Thomas Shirley, the governor who fortified the harbor in 1787, Shirley Heights provides a spectacular view of English Harbor. It is one of the most photographed spots in the Caribbean.

The view of English Harbor is one of the prettiest in the Caribbean

Nelson's Dockyard

The naval base built between 1725 and 1746 on a narrow promontory in the bay became known as Nelson's Dockyard. After the Royal Navy abandoned the station in 1889, it fell into a state of decay. In the 1950s, the Society of the Friends of English Harbor began restoration work and the site was opened in 1961 as one of Antigua's major attractions.

There will be time to explore Nelson's Dockyard, comprising the Admiral's Inn, a museum, mystery pillars, an art gallery, gift shop and sleek yachts tied to the old stone quayside. A rum or fruit punch will be served at a charming 18th-century Inn. Then conclude your tour with the return drive to St. John's and the ship.

This is an interesting walk, shopping and drink. There are some interesting things from the history of the island here.

Hi Martita:

I second Blackbird's Antigua recommendations and we also enjoyed walking the Nelson's Dockyard area. Good food around there too. I would add that if possible, take the helicopter tour from Antigua to Montserrat. Up close and personal with the volcano and all the lava flow. The power of volcanoes is hard to imagine. Surely beats looking at pictures of a volcano. Would do it again in an instant. The trip over and back also allows beautiful views of reefs, large critters in the water, and the approaches to the island. Maybe the pilot will fly you over the ship so you can wave to all. As far as Nevis, we would stay aboard next time. Last trip we hired a car and rode over most of the island. Mostly, if you are a few blocks in from the beach, it is trash, abandoned cars, etc. The botanical garden is ok and they all try to take you to the resort on the end of the island but then you are already staying at a fabulous resort. Just our opinion, but Nevis is a skip.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

Blackie and Jim,

Many thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

I have always wanted to "fly over" Montserrat (I think they call it, "Little Ireland") so will certainly inquire as to the helicopter ride! Sounds super!

And Blackie, I will check out Seabourn's Antiqua's excursions.....usually I do my own ~~~I just grab a Taxi, "kick the tires" and ask the fare for a couple of hours. Heretofore, I've always had a great time!

I checked on the Dominica "ports" board and was quite excited to read of "Rhino rides!" I couldn't believe I could sign up for a rhinoceros ride......I wans't going to miss THIS! Welllll, "they" doublecrossed me.......I viewed photos of "these rides"......and it was simply dumb motor boats on the water:rolleyes: ~~~~oh well, the helicopter ride will be just fine!:p

Thanks Fellows!

Pinkie

Jim,

A 1,000 thank you's! I am excited about the helicopter ride! I will

"goggle" them in the morning. (I've only been on one heli' ride)

Between you and Mr. Blackie, we CC'ers should simply use you two,

as to our Port Excursions!

Thanks again~~~:p

Martita B.

On Blackbird's TODO list once I move to California is a round trip from San Diego to Hawaii on gasp somebody like HAL. I would hope with the new ships maybe something could be done with one of the sisters dealing with Hawaii.

The Island of Kauai is a must do with helicopters --- sample pic

jackharter_homephotos.jpg

another pic here http://www.helicopters-kauai.com/

Archived