I need some tips for getting on the miracle???

andychris

I am going on the miracle in a couple of weeks, leaving from ny. I hear what a nightmare it is to board. I want to get there very early. Any tips from all of the past miracle cruisers?? Is there a special place I can stand. I did hear that everyone is in the terminal and then it is a mad dash, so it doesn't matter how early you get there. I still want to go early but want the best location on where I can position myself and the 7 other people I am traveling with.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

My best advise to you is to get there by 11am...get your luggage checked and just sit tight and wait for them to start to let you check in.

You won't have much choice on where to stand..and it doesn't make too much difference where you DO stand. It will be a zoo. Just be prepared and concentrate on how lovely it will be when you get on board. My girlfriend described the boarding process in NY like childbirth...after a while (and a foo-foo), you forget the pain!!

You are going to have a great time!!!

When the Miracle first came to NY it was a new ship in a new port. I am preety sure they were still working the bugs out. By the time you sail it shouldnt be a problem and they should have it all under control.

But like the poster stated- get to the pier about 11am and wait. Im sure you will be onboard by noon.

Halos: I do have a question for you regarding your cruise to nowhere.

I am going on the LEgend on October to nowhere for the weekend but we are taking a vacation for the week before so I will have luggage for the week. Do you think we will have a problem with a large suitcase getting onboard?

No problem!! You won't be able to carry it on obviously, you'll have to check it.

Can you pack a seperate suitcase for just the cruise and leave the rest in your car...or won't you have a car there??

When the Miracle first came to NY it was a new ship in a new port. I am preety sure they were still working the bugs out. By the time you sail it shouldnt be a problem and they should have it all under control.

But like the poster stated- get to the pier about 11am and wait. Im sure you will be onboard by noon.

The problems with embarkation weren't because of the ship...it's the port.

If there are not many ships sailing out of NY that day, you'll be OK...we had 4 ships in port the day we sailed and one was the Queen MaryII. Traffic was nasty, but if you get there by 11, you'll be OK.

Once inside, getting ON board quickly is dependent upon the passengers on the Miracle getting OFF quickly. We waited for people to get customs straightened out and S&S bills payed. They delayed us getting on the ship until 2:30. Our ship was supposed to sail at 4pm. We didn't leave port until 5:30.

Tips for boarding the Miracle:

Get there around 11 am. Don't bother coming any earlier than this, you will just have to wait longer.

If you are told to go upstairs to wait, don't do it! Hang out near the bottom of the stairs if you can. If you go upstairs, there will be a mad rush when it's time to board, NOT pleasant!

Cross your fingers that the passengers getting OFF the ship have their act together! As the previous poster said, if non U.S. citizens don't check in with immigration on board when they are supposed to, and people don't pay their S & S cards, NO ONE can get off the ship. I was waiting to get off the boat while the previous poster was waiting to get on....didn't get off til after noon!!!!! It was not fun, especially since we docked at 6 am!

It really is just the luck of the draw what time you get to board. I was lucky. For my cruise 6/12 I got to the pier around 11 and was onboard at noon!

Even if you have to wait, just keep telling yourself once you are on board the waiting will be a bad memory. The Miracle is a beautiful ship and I had a blast!

We pulled something off and it worked out well.

We were told to go upstairs, which we did, and were told they would lead us down the staircase on the left. But I knew would would board from the right.

We waited for just the right size group to pass us going down the left, and we started walking down after them saying quite loudly that "THEY WERE READY". Everyone got up like cattle and started walking down. When we got to the bottom, we came back up and went to the other staircase. WE WERE FIRST IN LINE!

I was quite concerned hearing and previously experiencing our beloved NY port, but it worked out good for us. We arrived at 11:15 at the terminal exit FROM THE NORTH. My car was parked by 11:30. I looked down at the West Side highway and it had already become a nightmare. Arrival from the south looked bad upon arrival, and those I spoke to said it took an hour to come up four blocks.

MY SUGGESTION – Stay in the LEFT lane as you go up the ramp. The Limo driver to the right of us in the right lane said it took him an HOUR to get up to the top. Go figure. In any case, get there between 11 and 11:30

Halos: the cruise is to nowhere- there wont be porters- we havet o carry our own luggage. and since we are traveling by train there is no car to leave the luggage in. My concern is will it fit through the security screeners.

Thanks for the tips everyone!! I have some more questions:

When they tell you to go upstairs are there still people downstairs? So by being first could be last.If you have to go upstairs and when they start calling you to come down, all the people downstairs who just walked in will be first. I guess it is just luck of the draw.

What time generally do they start calling you to do the boarding process?

How do you go upstairs, stairs or elevator? My question is because I have a bad back/leg, I do not know if I can make many stairs and then get trampeled going down.

Here is what I learned from you guys:

1- Try not to go upstairs!

2- If you have to go upstairs, make sure you go down the stairs to the right?

3- Get there early. I am planning on getting there by 10:15-10:30.

Am I missing anything?

When they tell you to go upstairs are there still people downstairs?

What time generally do they start calling you to do the boarding process?

How do you go upstairs, stairs or elevator? My question is because I have a bad back/leg, I do not know if I can make many stairs and then get trampeled going down.

Here is what I learned from you guys:

1- Try not to go upstairs!

2- If you have to go upstairs, make sure you go down the stairs to the right?

3- Get there early. I am planning on getting there by 10:15-10:30.

There are few stragglers downstairs.

What they are trying to do is send everyone upstairs (2 half flights) from the right, come down from the left, and then funnel everyone away from the ship, around the bathrooms by the entrance, and then back down the other side to enter the terminal on the right. Once everyone realizes what's going on, there's a mad rush and extreme rudeness.

So, you might be better off securing some seats by the bottom of the escalator that leads to the roof top, keep your eyes open, and then proceed to the right entrance when you sense they are ready to line everyone up.

There's another staging area after that. Then security screening, ticket process, then pictures, and then, finally, boarding.

All in all, I parked at 11:30, and was on the ship by 12:30. The waiting, which was painless, was getting to know the pewople on front of me (which were few), and behind me.

Archived