NEW NAME FOR Eurodam

AWED23

[quote name='wvdleek']May I remind you that there has been a contest among the employees of HAL, Windstar, Westmark Hotels and Gray Line for a name of the newest ship.

Probably the management found EURODAM to be the winner.

Instead of whining on this board, you better send your complaints to HAL's management.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Goeie middag Meneer van der Leek[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Good point and nice site! Can I ask you this; as a former employee of HAL, do you like the new name? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Copper10-8'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Goeie middag Meneer van der Leek[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Good point and nice site! Can I ask you this; as a former employee of HAL, do you like the new name? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Well, it is not a traditional name after one of the Dutch cities/rivers.
I think we will get used to it.

It sounds better than all those ridiculous names I have seen in this thread.

I am living in the city of Hoorn, and Hoorndam is absolutely ridiculous. The poster has absolutely no idea what the meaning of the word 'hoorn' is.
And by that I do not mean the musicinstrument or the horns of an animal.

[quote name='wvdleek']It sounds better than all those ridiculous names I have seen in this thread.[/QUOTE]
I think most of them were not meant as serious suggestions. Nobody is actually suggesting that they call a ship HOOVERDAM or whatever.

On the other hand, I do not think traditional HAL names like SPAARNDAM, LEERDAM, EDAM etc. are "ridiculous".

But yes, we will all get used to EURODAM. Just look how many people said, when the Vista-class ships were announced, "I will never, ever sail in such a huge ship!" And now most of them have ;) .

[quote name='AAAAmerican']Be glad at least it shall be a Dam Ship!:cool:[/QUOTE]

The name had to comply with two demands:
1. It has to end on 'dam'.
2. It has to be pronounced easily by English speaking people.

The name EURODAM complies to both demands.

For those who understand Dutch:
[url]http://www.verenigingdelijn.nl/index.php?page=Laatste_nieuws[/url]

scroll down to the bottom.

[LEFT][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][B][COLOR=#003399]Naam nieuwe HAL schip[/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#003399][/COLOR]Geplaatst op 1-8-2006[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/LEFT]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Holland America Line heeft een prijsvraag uitgeschreven om een naam te bedenken voor haar nieuwste schip. Dit schip uit de eveneens nieuwe Signature klasse, zal een capaciteit van 2044 passagiers hebben en in de zomer van 2008 in de vaart komen. Voorwaarden voor de nieuwe naam zijn dat hij eindigt op "dam" en in het Engels uit te spreken moet zijn. Ook moeten Amerikanen zich ertoe aangesproken voelen. De inzender van de winnende naam kan kiezen uit een etentje voor acht personen aan boord van 驮 van de HAL-schepen of een i-Pod Nano (een klein, draagbaar apparaatje voor het beluisteren van muziek).[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Helaas mogen alleen medewerkers van HAL, Windstar, Westmark Hotels en Gray Line deelnemen. We wachten gespannen af wat de naam gaat worden.[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Translated:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Name of new HAL ship - entered on 8 Aug 06[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Holland America has initiated/is announcing a (naming) contest for her newest ship. The ship, from the also new Signature class, will have a capacity of 2,044 passengers and will enter service in the Summer of 2008. In order to comply (with the rules of the contest), the name must end in "dam" and must be easy to pronounce in English. In addition, Americans (those from the United States of America) must be "drawn" to (must be attracted to) the new name. The sender of the winning entry will have a choice of (will win) dinner for eight aboard one of the HAL ships or an I-pod Nano ( a small portable music listening device). Regrettably, only associates from HAL, Windstar, Westmark Hotels and Gray Line can participate (in the contest). We are anxiously awaiting the new name. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

The name had to comply with two demands:

1. It has to end on 'dam'.

2. It has to be pronounced easily by English speaking people.

The name EURODAM complies to both demands.

While it ends in dam and is easy for English speaking people to pronounce and, hence, meets the above requirements, it FAILS in that many Americans are simply not readily drawn (attracted) to things that hail or celebrate modern Europe.

I think the contest backfired.

While it ends in dam and is easy for English speaking people to pronounce and, hence, meets the above requirements, it FAILS in that many Americans are simply not readily drawn (attracted) to things that hail or celebrate modern Europe.

I think the contest backfired.

Excellent. Send your complaints to the management og HAL

I have written a physical letter to Mr. Kruse's office expressing my displeasure over the name choice and my concern regarding how this disregard of the Line's tradition and history signifies a commensurate disregard when it comes to the decor and other interior appointments for the ship. In other words, will she be Ultra-modern "Euro" in furniture and color schemes (i.e. all metal, glass, and plastic).

While I dislike the name, I am much more seriously concerned that lacking a traditional "dam name" means that she will lack a traditional damship environment.

I came late to this thread - sorry, but I was on a "dam" cruise. I am so disappointed that not one person came up with came up with Dubbeldam. Easy to pronounce, fun to say and the name of a former HAL ship.

Eurodam - huh? What the heck does that have to do with Holland America? Why not Americadam? (I can hear the Europeans cheering right now;) ).

There were a couple of posts that had me laughing out loud but they are too far back for me to respond right now - let's just say that they were absolutely hilarious, and I thank you for a needed laugh.

John and Greg: as to the pronunciation of the Dutch "G", say as in Van Gogh - when I was growing up in Britain we learned to pronounce it as Van Goch the och part being pronounced the Scottish way, which means that I can hawk (to clear the throat with a coughing sound) just as well as anyone who speaks Dutch, German or Hebrew. Would that be a correct assumption as to pronunciation?

Hey I can also, thanks to my Scottish birth and upbringing, roll my R's every bit as well as the French or Spanish do. Gee, we Scots are a talented bunch aren't we?

Valerie:D

I

John and Greg: as to the pronunciation of the Dutch "G", say as in Van Gogh - when I was growing up in Britain we learned to pronounce it as Van Goch the och part being pronounced the Scottish way, which means that I can hawk (to clear the throat with a coughing sound) just as well as anyone who speaks Dutch, German or Hebrew. Would that be a correct assumption as to pronunciation?.........

Yeah, like the crazy Scots say "Loch". That's pretty close to a Dutch "G" Val;)

Hey I can also, thanks to my Scottish birth and upbringing, roll my R's every bit as well as the French or Spanish do. Gee, we Scots are a talented bunch aren't we?

:D

Yes, indeed.

Being a MacNeil I can say that I'm part Scotch and part Soda. :D

hehehe

I I am so disappointed that not one person came up with came up with Dubbeldam. Easy to pronounce, fun to say and the name of a former HAL ship.

Valerie:D

Valerie,

Ruth liked the name Dubbeldam also. It is a good name and the sistership would be Didam.... nice and short and very effective.

Stephen

I am living in the city of Hoorn, and Hoorndam is absolutely ridiculous. The poster has absolutely no idea what the meaning of the word 'hoorn' is.

I'm curious. What does "Hoorn" mean? Is the city named after someone?

Valerie - Love the name Dubbeldam! you-rock.gif

I'm curious. What does "Hoorn" mean? Is the city named after someone?

Valerie - Love the name Dubbeldam! you-rock.gif

It's harbor on the IJsselmeer (formerly the Zuiderzee - remember Zuiderdam?;)) is shaped in the form of a horn and it used to be one of the principal ports of the Netherlands until the Zuiderzee silted up in the 18th century.

It's situated in an area of the Netherlands called West Friesland. Great place to visit!

Cape Hoorn (now Cape Horn) was named after the city by Dutch explorer Willem Schouten

Oops, looks like John and I were posting at the same time :o !

Evening Doug, it's a tie;)

Hoorn is also famous for "de scheepsjongens van Bontekoe" the shipboys of Bontekoe in bronze. When you say Hoorn, you say Bontekoe. They watch over the harbor:)

1123983-bontekoe-Hoorn.jpg

Nope, there is no equivalent in English for the way the Dutch pronounce the "G". It is pronounced GGGGouda with a hard G (like scraping your throat) - You would have to hear a Dutchman say it

Well, it was a Dutch woman giving out cheese samples in the Cheese Museum just behind the City Hall in Gouda that told me it was pronounced "hhhhhowda"! :D Or maybe there was a nearly-silent G in front of that ... like she was bringing up a hair-ball! :D :D

Well, it was a Dutch woman giving out cheese samples in the Cheese Museum just behind the City Hall in Gouda that told me it was pronounced "hhhhhowda"! :D Or maybe there was a nearly-silent G in front of that ... like she was bringing up a hair-ball! :D :D

The "g" is definitely not silent. The "hair-ball" quote is right on!;) Got a feeling she gave you the "hhhhhowda" because it's easier to pronounce without spitting at someone and that is the way is sounds without the hard "g" instead of "coulda", the way most English-speakers pronounce it

The "g" is definitely not silent. The "hair-ball" quote is right on!;) Got a feeling she gave you the "hhhhhowda" because it's easier to pronounce without spitting at someone and that is the way is sounds without the hard "g" instead of "coulda", the way most English-speakers pronounce it

We pronounce it g..hhhhhowda down under John, is that correct? Although sometimes I think the emphasis is on "ou" ,Maybe the coulda is the north american way, a lot of things up there have strange pronunciations to my ear. Herbs being one example.

Well, it is not a traditional name after one of the Dutch cities/rivers.

I think we will get used to it.

It sounds better than all those ridiculous names I have seen in this thread.

Sir, You are correct in that I do not know the meaning of the word "HOORN" other than that it is a city not too far from Amsterdam after which "Cape Horn" was named....I have visited the city of Hoorn and found it to be quite nice. Twice I have been fortunate enough to round Cape Horn...Could you please tell me the meaning of the word hoorn??? Thank You.

Archived