Buenos Aires Wine Purchase

joemooch

Prior to checking in to the ship in BA, we would like to purchase champagne and other wines. Can anyone suggest a store, whether near the ship or in route from the airport? We have found the best prices with good selection in grocery stores in many foreign countries, but Argentina is a first for us! Thanks...:)

We bought alot of wine in BA. GREAT wines at incredible prices. We bought in many shops so we got a great selection.

If you're into Reds, Malbec's are what you want. The best being from the Mendoza region. We paid between $4. and $8. a bottle for some brilliant ones!

Also, they make champagne in Argentina. Yes, yes,yes I know, if it's not from Champagne, France it can't be called champagne. But it is in Argentina. Some of the french champagne houses have legally licensed their names to some Argentine sparkling winery's and the stuff is fantastic! I think we paid about $18.00 for Perrier Jouet which is about $40 - $50. a bottle here. In restaurants, we paid $3.00 a glass in upscale bars/restaurants for wonderful champagne! :)

All right!!

That's great help, keep it coming, thanks guys.

Malbecs are a great idea, I'll take a case.

But we always have champagne first before dinner.

I'll lookup the locations of those places.

Does anyone know if any of these stores are close to the port?

One of our favorite bars in BA is the bar in the Claridge Hotel right off of Florida Street.

It's a british style pub, very friendly and very popular with both tourists and locals.

A glass of champagne is about $3.00.

The same glass will run you about $18. 00 at the Alvear Palace. (but it'll be served by a guy in a starched white jacket:D )

We went into local shops and engaged the owners in conversation about wines and came home with some great Malbacs. And we took alot of bottles of champagne on our cruise. At about $18. a bottle, we had alot of parties in our cabin!

BA is one of my favorite cities. Savor every moment and don't bother sleeping, it's a 24 hour city. You can sleep aboard the ship!

Joemooch,

I just reread your first post. Are you not spending a couple of days pre-cruise in BA? :eek:

PS I'll be in Paris in 3 weeks. How did you do Reims as a day tour. Did you rent a car or got with a tour bus from Paris? Or could I take a train? Basically, is there a way to do it without having to rent a car?

(sorry all about thread drift)

Joemooch, I just reread your first post. Are you not spending a couple of days pre-cruise in BA? :eek: PS I'll be in Paris in 3 weeks. How did you do Reims as a day tour. Did you rent a car or got with a tour bus from Paris? Or could I take a train? Basically, is there a way to do it without having to rent a car? (sorry all about thread drift)

No pre-cruise, I wanted to but the rest of the gang had conflicts.

Re Reims...Jump on the SNCF at Paris Est for a day trip. We did Mumm's, Pommery, Piper-Heidseick, lunch, and the cathedral walking. Ask if you would like more info direct. We did this on a post-cruise Paris extension. Also did Beaune as a day trip by train. Both are WOW's.

Joe

Great info on wine buying! We'l be at the Intercontinental, I'll be sure to check out the wine store.

However, I'm really bummed about taking wine back to North America. With the new Security regulations, we have to put wine bottles in our checked luggage... that always makes me nervous... any tips??

MC

No pre-cruise, I wanted to but the rest of the gang had conflicts.

Re Reims...Jump on the SNCF at Paris Est for a day trip. We did Mumm's, Pommery, Piper-Heidseick, lunch, and the cathedral walking. Ask if you would like more info direct. We did this on a post-cruise Paris extension. Also did Beaune as a day trip by train. Both are WOW's.

Joe

So once you got off the train in Reims, how did you get from winery to winery? Did you take taxi's?

When we drove around Bordeaux & St. Emilion, there was no way we could have done it without a car.

Thanks,

Jane

Archived