have not received advise on visa

crazy4cruisn

Several friends are sailing on the Rotterdam to South America/Antarctica and have received priority mail advising them of the need for a Brazilian visa before sailing. If they had not told me about the information I would not have known to get the visa except I had read about it on the South America destinations board. I hope others will not experience this problem.

Brazil is very fussy about visas.

Several years ago (3-98), on a sailing of Royal Princess from Buenos Aires Argentina to Barcelona Spain, with two in-transit stops in Brazil (Rio & Recife), several passengers were not allowed to board in Buenos Aires, as they did not have Brazilian visas.

In speaking with a ship's officer after sailing, he told me that Brazil would have assessed a large fine against the ship if they had transported undocumented passengers into Brazil, and might well have not allowed any of the passengers with Visas ashore. If fact, they might not have allowed the ship to dock in Brazil!

In that particular case, the passengers not allowed to board had not read their pre-cruise documents carefully -the need for Visas was clearly spelled out.

I am curious. If you booked the cruise through a travel agent, it should have, at a minimum, told you about the need for visas up front. And if you booked directly with HAL, it was HAL's responsibility to inform you.

One or the other let you down.

We just came back from the Veendam sailing to the Amazon. We were well aware of the requirement for a visa because we had spent so much time researching these boards. In addition, our TA mentioned it to us.

So, we made arrangements with our local health offices for yellow fever shots, read about the visa requirements on the Brazilian Embassy website, contacted an agency to process our visas, and proceeded to apply.

Good thing! We did not receive any timely information whatsoever from Holland America. We did receive a brochure for shore excursions, but nothing about the visas. Then our TA forwarded an envelope unopened to us from HAL, and we thought it was the visa information but there was a blank piece of paper inside! Well, we had a couple of discussions about it with the TA....but in the meantime we had applied for and received the visa.

About three weeks before sailing, we received a letter from HAL marked "VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION" stating that a visa is required for Brazil and if we don't have one, we will be denied boarding. I sure would have hated to be scrambling around that close to sailing.

Anyway, thank goodness for Cruise Critic and the heads up we received. These boards really save your sanity sometimes.

DH and I are booked on the Rotterdam to SA/Antarctica this December also and we were not informed by HAL about the Brazilian visas but our TA told us when we booked back in March. And you are so right...these boards are a life saver. We have learned alot about what to do and what not to do. In all fairness, if you read the South America brochure from HAL it states that is up to the individual to obtain the necessary visas. We have a great TA who keeps on top of things! Happy cruising to all.

I am curious. If you booked the cruise through a travel agent, it should have, at a minimum, told you about the need for visas up front. And if you booked directly with HAL, it was HAL's responsibility to inform you.

One or the other let you down.

Cruise lines and travel agents are unreliable sources of information about visas and contagious diseases. HAL's website says "Some countries require that you obtain official authorization (called a visa), before entering their country." Thanks a lot. There should be a list of countries and a link to state department information. The HAL website does seem to have footnotes on the itineraries where visas are required. A search of the site for "malaria" turns up one irrelevant hit. From their website, "Please contact your local physician, Health Department and/or travel medicine clinic to discuss immunization requirements for all countries on your itinerary."

Cruise lines and travel agents are unreliable sources of information about visas and contagious diseases.

That's the TA's job. If thry aren't doing it, then it's time for a new TA. Those who book directly withthe cruise line are, in essence, acting as their own TA - so they need to do all of the TA functions, such as checking on visa, passport, innoculation, etc. requirements.

Four of the others in our group all booked with the same agency that I did and received the visa information; I did not. When I called HAL to ask about it and express concern that maybe I had also missed other info, the person just stated that there was nothing else I needed to know and seemed very unconcerned. Where on the HAL brochure is the note about needing a Brazilian visa? I never saw it. Fortunately I read the boards which I am very thankful for all the help!

As a side note, I couldn't believe how fast I received my visa. I sent off the needed materials on a Monday and received the visa on Thursday! Now we are in a countdown mode!

That's the TA's job. If thry aren't doing it, then it's time for a new TA.

I have not used a travel agent two times in a row since 1987. I gave up on travel agents in 2001, when I was charged $10 x 4 and the agent refused to mail the airline tickets to me or deliver them. I have done very nicely on my own, thank you, for 7 international trips plus a cruise since then.

I have not used a travel agent two times in a row since 1987. I gave up on travel agents in 2001, when I was charged $10 x 4 and the agent refused to mail the airline tickets to me or deliver them. I have done very nicely on my own, thank you, for 7 international trips plus a cruise since then.

Fine, commendable even. But that means you need to pick up all the TAs functions, such as doing the visa research necessary for your trip.

crazy4cruisn: So glad you have gotten your visa already! Did you go through the embassy, as you had planned? Which one - Washington, Miami, etc? Our forms go in the mail this week. We are really in the countdown mode now!!!

Betty

Did you deal directly with the Brazilian Consulate in your city or with the Brazilian Embassy in Washington or did you use a visa service?

When we went to Russia, we dealt with a service that the tour company told us about and when we went to Russia on a ship we dealt with a service that the shippng line (Radisson - no Regent) told us about.

Roberta

We are in Texas so sent the info to the consulate in Houston. It was easy to do, but lots of paperwork with application, copy of itinerary and airline tickets, postal money orders, and passports. I just downloaded the information from the site and followed directions. Each region of the US has a special consulate that you must apply to. All regions except the northwest can apply by mail. My friend who lives in Seattle had to either go in person or have an agency apply for her.

GAJE, hope your visas come back quickly too! Fun counting down!

Brazil is very fussy about visas.

So is the U.S.A.!!!!

It is my understanding that Brazil only introduced the visa requirement for US citizens AFTER the US Dept of Immigration made a decision to require Brazilian citizens to have visas to enter the USA. Previously they had been on the Visa Waver Programme.

Anyone who travels outside their own country should check on visa requirements for their trip. It is a two minute job using the internet. It is not up to HAL to advise people what visas are required. You have to remember that US nationals are not the only passengers who book with HAL and it is unfair to think that they should be able to advise every passenger what their requirements will be. In most cases the infmation would probably be wrong anyway. The responsibility to obtain the nesessary visas rest with the passenger. No one else.

The message here is... when you plan a cruise or overland trip... check on the visa requirments. Then you can ask the travel agent for assistance.

Stephen

Lucky you. We're looking at that one for 2008....before our Brazilian visas run out! Sounds like a great cruise.
Be very careful and double-check your Brazilian visas. Unless they are stamped, they are not good for the 5 years. They say they're good but they might not be. On our Royal Princess Manaus > Rome cruise last year, we had 8 couples racing around Miami before boarding the chartered flights to Manaus because they thought their Brazilian visas were good but they weren't. They would have been denied entrance into the country and thus the cruise.

As has been said, Brazil is very, very fussy and doing "revenge" on the U.S. for being picky about U.S. visas for Brazilians. They put a time range on when you can apply and how long they're good for. For instance, your entry has to be within 90 days of the date on the visa (looking at mine for reference) and you can be in Brazil for only 90 days.

I have two Brazilian visas in my passport -- one from '98 and one from '05. The '98 one is a document attached to my passport; the '05 one is a stamp. I don't know if that is standard.

I think it's up to your TA to advise you whether you will need visas. For my China cruise next August, my TA has already been in touch with me about my China visa and told me that she would walk me through it.

The SA brochure does not mention any countries, it just says any needed visas are up to the individual to obtain. Look under Immigration and Immunization on page 51. You are luckly to have gotten yours back to quickly, we went thru an agency and it took MUCH longer. Happy cruising...Marian

For those who do not rely on travel agents and cruiselines, the US Department of State's consular information sheets give entry requirements for US citizens: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1765.html

"A passport and visa are required for U.S. citizens traveling to Brazil for any purpose. Brazilian visas must be obtained in advance from the Brazilian Embassy or consulate nearest to the traveler's place of residence. There are no "airport visas" and immigration authorities will refuse entry to Brazil to anyone not possessing a valid visa. All Brazilian visas, regardless of the length of validity, must initially be used within 90 days of the issuance date or will no longer be valid. Immigration authorities will not allow entry into Brazil without a valid visa. The U.S. Government cannot assist travelers who arrive in Brazil without proper documentation.

In response to the introduction of the US-VISIT program, on January 1, 2004 the Government of Brazil began fingerprinting/photographing all U.S. citizens arriving in Brazil. In the first six weeks of 2004, two U.S. citizens were fined (an average $15,000 each) for making obscene gestures while being photographed at a Brazilian port of entry. Travelers are reminded that they are subject to local law, and that showing contempt to a government official is a serious offense in Brazil. (Fines for such offenses are based on the offender’s claimed income)."

Brazil started fingerprinting us when we started fingerprinting them. It could be worse. Overstay your welcome in Brunei: "Immigration offenders will be punishable by caning. Workers who overstay their visas can face jail sentences and three strokes of the cane."

Brazil started fingerprinting us when we started fingerprinting them. ."

I have no problem being fingerprinted when arriving in the USA. Anything (within reason) that improves the safety and security of the public is fine with me.

On one occassion I asked the Immigration Officer what would happen with the fingerprints. Did they go on file and be stored for cross referencing etc? The answer is no. The records are destroyed within a few weeks. Now what is the point of all that!.

Stephen

Crazy4cruisn: I mailed our visa applications today - to Washington. I have been very anxious about this. Hope reading the instructions 100 times helped to make no mistakes on the forms. I will let you know how long ours take to get processed and returned.

Betty

GAJE, I read them 100 times at home and even took the instructions to the post office with me! The clerk even read them. I was really nervous, but it went so smoothly! I was really happy to see them come back so fast. Hope yours does the same! Do let me know. It was about $35 to send them off with all the mailing fees but well worth it. The person who drove in to DC said it was not worth the trip.

And yes, our visas were stamped with the message that they were good for 5 years, so I guess we are set. Now for the cruise docs to arrive!! And decide what to pack?

Amen to the packing dilemma! DH has always insisted on one bag each plus a carryon each. That means very heavy checked luggage. I want to have at least one more bag between us. He wants to maintain "you only take what you can manage by yourself". I am worried that we will get hit with overage fees during the intraSA flights (Lima to Cusco, Rio to Iguazu). We have avoided overage fees before on Delta due to DH's 'million miler' status. If DH wins this battle, wearing the same outfit (at least during the day) SEVERAL TIMES will certainly be the case. HAL says our luggage will be kept for us in Lima and Rio during the pre and post cruise tours, and we will only need to take the carryons with us to Cusco and Iguazu. If that is the case, it seems an extra piece of luggage is workable. If that is the case....

Sometimes it almost seems easier to just stay home. (Not really!!!!!)

Betty

A key sentence in my earlier State Department quote: "All Brazilian visas, regardless of the length of validity, must initially be used within 90 days of the issuance date or will no longer be valid."

Don't get the Brazilian visa too early.

Archived