What is the hydro pool?

kathyemma

Kathyemma and Brad:

Here is a description from HAL's website. Apparently, they do use sea water. I haven't used their hydrotherapy pool yet, as they aren't available on all ships. I think just the Visa ships have them (Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, and Noordam). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Karin

hello, we got of the westerdam 2 weeks ago and tried the hydro for the first time, i have to sya we really liked it it was $20 pp for one full day, you get to use the hydro pool which was fun, the Thermal Suite and we also used the diffrent kind of steam and mists saunas there, we were there for hours and we really really liked it, there are some pics here:

2561117820096086187OldyrK_th.jpg

hope youll like it i think its about $250 for the weeks pass for both , but for us we liked just doing the per day one so if you are in ports and stuff you dont feel like you paid for nothing.

let me know if you have anymore question?:)

For kathyemma & Brad98...

We were on the WESTERDAM's 10/15 cruise. DH and I, along with my cousin & her DH, all enjoyed a DAY PASS for the HYDROTHERAPY POOL one of the last days of our cruise (when our bodies were "really" in need of it from all of our exciting activities & excursions)! The Day Pass for $20 per person gave us unlimited use of the hydro-pool anytime during that day...it DID NOT include the THERMAL SUITE. The Thermal Suite would have been an additional $20 per day. Once you've paid your $20, the gals at the Spa Desk will take your cabin key card and give you another key card which allows you access into the Hydrotherapy Room. You don't need to bring any towels with you, as there are towels provided by the Spa in the Hydropool room.

The HYDROTHERAPY POOL is like a huge hot tube. It is not for swimming. It is centered in an attractive room with windows that look out onto the Lido Pool area. The green decor of the room adds a tropical lushness to the experience. There are many lounge chairs set up around the Hydro-Pool for relaxing in after you've "treated" yourself. There is a curved stairway down into the pool, so all you have to do is "walk" in...although beware of the bottom step. The sea water in the pool is heated and treated with minerals, plus chlorine. I wish they could leave the chlorine out, as the smell of it permeates the air in the room.

Along one end of the rectangular pool is a tubular metal contour lounge under the bubbling water. It can accommodate about five people easily...all at once. The first time you walk up to it, turn around and get your deriere on the edge...be careful as you slide back because the "contour" of the underwater lounge dips down and you'll unexpectantly slide into place. I found it rather comfortable once I was "in position", but the strong current from the water jets made it hard to stay in place, so I grabbed hold of the tubular metal bars to stay put! I wear glasses and kept them on the entire time. What a way to relax...laying on the lounge with water jets bubbling all around you!

In the middle of the pool is another "station" that is supposed to help ease away the aches in your feet. It is "enclosed" with more tubular metal bars and was about the size of the hot tubs on the outer decks. There is only one area that you can enter through...formed by a break in the metal rings. In the center of this is a tubular metal ring...similar to a steering wheel that you hold on to. There are no seats like in a hot tub...you just stand there and can lean against the outer rings and rest your arms there -or- hold on to the "steering wheel". About 3-4 people can comfortably occupy this "station". The water jets in this area are much stronger than around the lounger and the water appears to cascade out the entry/exit opening of the circle. It does a nice job to soothe your aching feet!

Adjacent to the foot "station" are two "stations" that look like shower heads where you can position yourself to get some pulsating waters on the back of your neck and shoulders to relieve stress & tension. One of these is more forceful than the other.

If you spend time at each "station", you'll get much of the tension & strain in your body melted away. When you are done, you just walk back up the steps and relax in one of the reclining lounge chairs for awhile. The hydrotherapy pool room has plastic honeycombed mats on the floor immediately around the pool to prevent slipping. The "honeycomb" is a bit hard on tender feet and I found it to be a bit "ouchy", so I preferred to walk on the bare floor. There is a drink cart there with complimentary cold water and orange juice to hydrate yourself. Those cold drinks are quite refreshing after soaking in all the hot bubbling water!

DH & I only had the one opportunity on our "day" to enjoy the healing waters of the Hydrotherapy Pool. My cousin and her husband made several trips there that day and really got their monies worth. By the next day, the four of us were ready to go...our plan had worked...our bodies got the rejuvenation they needed.

All in all, we were really surprised to find that we nearly had the hydro-pool to ourselves. When the three of us first arrived (my DH joined us later), there was only one lady in the pool. While we were there one other gentleman joined us. Later, when my cousins revisited the pool, they had the entire room to themselves.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what to expect...I think the day pass was well worth the money.

Debjo

Debjo - they should use your write up on the hal site. that sounds amazing. i will definitly be using that at least one day. i can't wait. massages, jets, drinks and sun. if only i could win the powerball and go a cruise every month.

For kathyemma...

I'm happy my description helped you out. So many people on this message board helped me in the planning stages of my WESTERDAM cruise...it is only fair that I return the favor from my experiences.

Here's hoping you win at POWERBALL! (In the meantime, enjoy the cruise that you're planning now!)

Debjo

Archived