A Canadian going to Canada

Avril

I'm from Burlington, Ontario, Canada (about 45 minutes west of Toronto). I would love to go on a New England/Canada cruise but being from Canada, would I enjoy it? I know it's a big country and all so I guess every part is different. I went to Halifax by car once a few years ago but think it would be fun to try it by ship. Any opinions? What are these cruises like? I would love to read your reviews/see your pictures if you would like to share.

What cruise line/ship is best for these itineraries?

Hi Avril,

I've never done a Canada-New England Cruise but they seem very interesting.

While I didn't get the chance yet to travel the world, I've seen many Canadian Cities (and some US cities too) and I can tell you we have a great country.

I live near Quebec City, I also lived in New-Brunswick, I've done many road trips in the Maritime Provinces (and US East Coast), took the plane about 4 times to go to the West Coast (Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle) and I also took the train from Quebec City to Vancouver and return; that was just amazing and the best way to ''sample'' our Country scenery.

I'm sure you would have fun and learn a lot on a Canada-New England Cruise. If I were you, I would definitely choose one of the longer itinerary. IMHO, the best east coast port cities are:

- Quebec City (overnight stay is just great, so many things to do and see)

- Bar Harbor

- Halifax

And the ''worst'' are:

- St. John, NB (but Bay of Fundy near there is simply WOW)

- Baie-Comeau (if they offer a tour to Manic V, it would be worth it though)

I'm from Burlington, Ontario, Canada (about 45 minutes west of Toronto). I would love to go on a New England/Canada cruise but being from Canada, would I enjoy it? I know it's a big country and all so I guess every part is different. I went to Halifax by car once a few years ago but think it would be fun to try it by ship. Any opinions? What are these cruises like? I would love to read your reviews/see your pictures if you would like to share.

What cruise line/ship is best for these itineraries?

I did Celebrity because it went to Quebec, Saint Johns, and Halifax. Holland America does them and adds Montreal. NCL, Carnival, RCI does mostly the US Coast with Halifax added at a more reasonable cost. You can go to the Reviews section, and under Constellation you'll see my lengthy review (Eleanor). I think you would love being on the cruise ship and seeing the Eastern Seaboard. We sure did. Have Fun selecting a cruise, then enjoy your Country as well as the US.:D

We did Canada/New England Norwegian Dawn out of NYC this past September.

We are from just east of Toronto and thoroughly enjoyed it. Ports were Halifax, NS, Bar Harbour, Martha's Vineyard, Newport RI, and Boston.

Bad time of year weather-wise with hurricanes, however that is something that cannot be controlled and in spite of that, we did enjoy ourselves.

I have also seen itineraries that include Quebec City, Newfoundland, PEI, which is interesting. They say Quebec City is like going to Europe - I have been to Montreal and I loved it. I think a cruise is a wonderful way of seeing these places without driving, packing and unpacking. I am not one for driving long distances and it takes forever to get anywhere down east due to distance that a cruise fits the bill perfectly. It was either fly to NYC which took 1 hour, or train to Montreal and get a cruise from there. All in all, I would recommend and it is not more of the same if you are from Ontario.

Avril, I'm from Toronto, and those cruises have always been kind of low on my list. I think if I wanted to do the Maritimes, I would drive or fly/drive. And Quebec City as well. That's not to say it wouldn't be wonderful, but there's Alaska, Norway, the Greek Islands, the Baltic for the summer, or Bermuda, and when it's cooler, I'd rather go somewhere warm.

Just my opinion.

Archived