QM2 forward cabin, how rough is the ride on a transatlantic crossing

clay1234

If you are forward in a high deck, then you are far away from the center of gravity (Think of being on the end of a see-saw). You will experience the pitching of the ship. The Atlantic Ocean can be rough any time of the year but especially in winter months.

If you spend most of your time in you cabin lying in bed, it should have a minimal effect of you. Most of the public rooms are midship; you will be spending much of your time there.

The ship has stabilisers which will take care of rolling (side to side motion) but so far there is to technology to eliminate pitching.

You might want to invest in some Dramamine or wrist bands that have an accupuncture pressure point. However, even in the event of rough seas, you will probably get your sea legs after a day or two and not even notice it.

We just got off from the eastbound transatlantic. We were on 6 deck forward (6048), it got pretty rough on Wednesday and Thursday (force 9, the stabilizers couldn't take all of the roll, so we ended up pitching and rolling), but not too bad. I spoke to a chap that was on 11 forward, he said things were hapilly falling off his desk....

As Daddywarbucks said, Dramamine is probably the best remedy. If you cannot get it, it is for sale on board.

Have a lovely trip!

Most of the public rooms are midship; you will be spending much of your time there.

Yeah...watching the waves crash against and completely cover the windows of the Britannia on 2 Deck was a great experience when I went through 2 big storms in 2005 on Queen Mary 2. As a QE2 transatlantic fan, I love that stuff, although it was reported that over 800 people were so seasick that they need to be jabbed at the doctor's office!

Enjoy the ride.

Most of the public rooms are midship; you will be spending much of your time there.

Yeah...watching the waves crash against and completely cover the windows of the Britannia on 2 Deck was a great experience when I went through 2 big storms in 2005 on Queen Mary 2. As a QE2 transatlantic fan, I love that stuff, although it was reported that over 800 people were so seasick that they need to be jabbed at the doctor's office!

Enjoy the ride.

Yeah...watching the waves crash against and completely cover the windows of the Britannia on 2 Deck was a great experience when I went through 2 big storms in 2005 on Queen Mary 2. As a QE2 transatlantic fan, I love that stuff, although it was reported that over 800 people were so seasick that they need to be jabbed at the doctor's office! Enjoy the ride.

We were on the QM2 10/12. On that trip we encountered heavy seas and the windows on deck 2 forward leaked. Lets hope they were repaired when the ship was in dry-dock.

Archived