Do Cell Phones work in Cozumel

chuck&lori

We will be traveling on the Sensation to Cozumel in December 2004. Will the US cells phones work down there. Which is cheaper cell phones (if they work) of using the boat phones, How much are the boat phones for a call back to the US?

It's expensive to call ship-to-shore. Call your provider and ask if they have service in Cozumel. I have AT&T and at the time I was down there, it didn't work in Cozumel, but did in Grand Cayman.

We have sprint and our phones did not work in Cozumel. I think some companies do have international service but you have to arrange that ahead of time. There is a store right at the port where you can make calls or email home. The email was a lot cheaper than on the ship.

We were in Cozumel in March and used our cell phones, but we went in the communications shop right in the group of shops by the pier to get instructions as to how to use it. If you are calling in the United States, you have to dial the country code first, and I can't remember what that was (but just ask someone and they'll tell you.) We have AT&T cell phones and had great reception. I think in Grand Cayman that we didn't need to dial the country code in order to get the phone to work. Our roaming fees really weren't bad either. We called home a lot since our kids weren't with us. Ship to shore calls from Carnival are about 7.95/minute, and our roaming fees for the entire trip totaled $40.00......

Using the phone service at the port is a Whole lot cheaper and more convenient than using cell phones.Our cell-phones did work,depends on your provider, but if you don't speak Spanish you might have a problem.

It may work but be dang sure you know what the charge will be. We learned the hard way that although we have free long distance anywhere in the United States that does NOT include St Thomas!

In Cozumel you need a GSM phone. If you have ATT's GSM your phone will work. A digital PCS will not. BTW, ATT has a new service that includes Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands as part of the Free Nationwide Long Distance Service area I pay $59.99 mo. for 900 Minutes for this Service

In Cozumel you need a GSM phone. If you have ATT's GSM your phone will work. A digital PCS will not. BTW, ATT has a new service that includes Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands as part of the Free Nationwide Long Distance Service area I pay $59.99 mo. for 900 Minutes for this Service

Not necessarily......

My husband and I do not have GSM service. We have AT&T digital service, and we only have a local calling plan. However, if you dial the country code, the cell phone works great in Cozumel. Yes, we were on roam, but we called Ohio without any problems. :)

Archived