Sensation review

xeena

we arranged this last minute (well, last month) cruise to celebrate NO hurricanes this season ! We drove to the port and parked....very easy. Dropped off the bags and then parked the car. $12/day.....We live about 45 min north of Tampa. I had to work the same day as we came home, so we did self assist on the way out and i was home by 9:05 and at work at 9:30 !

demographics: DH 62.... me 60. have cruised many times.....semi retired. next cruise is in 3 weeks !! Dec 9th on the HAL Amsterdam for a partial Panama canal transit...2 cruises so close together is not like us ! but the price was so good on this one and we had nothing planned....fun doing it last minute too

embarkation: checked in, lines not bad.....a short wait for our "group" to board....at the Lido by 12:30 ! we have sailed CArnival 6 times and after 10 you get "priority" boarding and maybe a drink holder....our line went faster than the priority line !!

the cabin was ready by 1pm and the luggage arrived around 2pm while we were exploring the ship. We had an inside cabin on Empress deck....for a short cruise we didnt mind not having an outside....must say you can sleep like the dead as it is DARK in there ! i do like an outside better so you at least get the option to peek out and see if it is day or night, in port yet etc. the cabin was roomy.....made up as a king bed. the only problem with the arrangement....i was on the inside and had to crawl out to get around the corner storage box ! wasnt too bad for the sort trip, but if you had mobility problems it would be difficult. no hairdryer in the room, that was a surprise !

the ship was in great shape, clean, not weary looking, carpets clean and new looking. the bed was quite comfy too ! we brought a soft sided cooler and the cabin steward filled it with ice for us each day so we had wine and our water bottles always chilled...we kept it in the bathroom and it worked out great for us.

Sunshine skyway: worth being on deck to see ! looks like you clear by inches.....and since it was dark the bridge was lit up it was quite a sight !

food: dinners in the dining room were fine...not great but enjoyable. the maitre'd was from Greece and liked to shout Oompah frequently ! we had a table for 6....2 other couples and us. it was a smallish oval table and just a bit tight, but not problematic. we chose not to eat in the diningroom for formal night as DH declined to bring a suit/tie. that was a mistake. eating in the lido that night was quite depressing, although the food was fine. next trip he'll not choose that option !! missed the lobster.....live and learn.

food for breakfast and lunch in the lido was fine, the decor a bit strange ! purple worms with glowing yellow eyes on the ceiling? where did that idea come from ??? at least they looked like worms to me....better than the weird grapes on the Miracle's ceiling last year !

activities: .....we didnt partake or even watch the activities, never played bingo but did enjoy listening to the live music on the lido deck during the day. never hard to find a good spot to plunk down with a book ! could find shade or sun and saw no problems with running out of seating space ! lots of kids onboard but we encountered no problems with roudiness from them. another thing for their elders though....lots of rude, demanding passengers. always irritates me to see the staff verbally abused ! it happened a few times and i was embarassed by it.....makes me be extra nice as the next in line ! i can never understand this. we are being waited on, fed like there is no tomorrow, do not have to clean up after ourselves and yet some are sooooo ugly. nuff of that, on to the fun

entertainment: we missed the "rock and roll" show, but attended all the rest....latin extravaganza the last night, comedians, a gaucho whip smacking act (new to me !) and a passenger talent show. all were OK...nothing stupendous but enjoyable. went to the first art auction (to get a glass of complimenary champagne)....amazing at how much folks spend there !

ports:

Grand Cayman: we have our own snorkel gear so we walked about 10 min from the pier to the PAradise restaurant and jumped in for no charge. they have steps and handrailings to make getting in easier. they also rent equipment there but i do not know the price. great assortment of fish, and lucky us ! there were 6 HUGE tarpon there that day. water was nice and warm and not rough so we had a great time !! and the price was right.

Cozumel: we docked !! yippee no tenders and right downtown! a first for us. so no taxi needed to get to the shops. since we had been to Coz several times, we just walked and enjoyed the views and the shops.....got on the internet for $1/ 1 hour ! and got my internet fix ! had to ask where one was and a nice policeman walked us there !! it was off the main drag by about 3 blocks.... i was thrilled !

we used the self assist and were off the ship around 8am ! there were 2 other ships in port...the Veendam and the Legend of the SEas....nice to see both ! we were the only ship leaving on monday so this was fun.

If anyone has a question or would like to see the pix....let me know. i have a digital album on ofoto.com ..... i dont think you can just go there....i have to send it.

all in all....a wonderful time, beautiful weather the whole time.

Thank you for your review. I had VIP on the triumph and it diden't make a difference. both lines moved very fast. VIP will make a huge difference when you start to see 5,000 passergers ships. It will be worth its wait in Platinum.

You are a dear to be "extra nice" to heal with wounding attitudes of others.

I see that all the time as well and try to be "extra nice" as well. These folks who work on these ships are already working long hours and away from their families...and when I see people being rude to them...it just makes me ill.

Glad you had a good cruise.

Thank you for your review. I had VIP on the triumph and it diden't make a difference. both lines moved very fast. VIP will make a huge difference when you start to see 5,000 passergers ships. It will be worth its wait in Platinum.

5,000 folks at a port that tenders??? Now that is going to be interesting, isn't it?? :eek:

I will definately not only be using my VIP Check In and Debark...it will have to break down and use the Priority Tendering as well!!!

Sensation in Cozumel and Grand Cayman?? I think ya got on the wrong ship.

The OP has another post where she says she posted this by mistake... she was NOT on the Sensation (I think she was either on the Inspiration or Imagination???)

OP, you might want to ask the hosts to remove this thread as to not cause any confusion...

Archived