Vision of Seas sustains Prop damage

:( Hello! I am aboard the Ryndam presently, and wanted to report that the Vision of the Seas sustained Prop damage during it's trip to Hubbard Glacier on Thursday, July 15. As we understand, it is currently running on one engine. They were late getting into Seward yesterday ( 6 hours) and were late to leave last night (10:30pm) estimated. I feel very badly for the embarking passengers as there is nothing they can do, and I feel they will lose time in the ports.:(

Frankly, we witnessed the Ship get MUCH closer to the Glacier than our Capt. would allow, seems like a "hotdog" stunt that will cause many a worse trip.:eek: Many leaving Anchorage were also delayed. My heart goes out to those passengers affected.

Me too!!! I'm leaving Next Friday, July 23rd! At least I think I am!!:eek:

If something like this happens and you have their insurance does it take care of the cost of those who missed their fights?!:confused:

based on other propeller incidents I've found, it seems the standard way it is dealth with is that the next cruise is canceled, repairs are made, and then it's back out.

not a biggie, unless of course you're booked on that next cruise.

stephie, I'd call the cruise line as soon as you can reach someone there to find out the situation. but, if it were canceled or delayed, I am certain the insurance would cover any penalties/fees on your flights.

Sounds like they didn't cancel a cruise if they arrived in Seward on Friday and then left that night (even though they were late on both ends). That would have been the end of one cruise and the beginning of the another. Maybe they were able to fix it while in port at Seward.

Edited to add: That 10:30pm departure time mentioned in the original post is only an hour and a half behind schedule. Hopefully the issue has been resolved and nobody will miss their cruise. :)

This doesn't sound good. If they are going to cancel a cruise it will likely be one out of Vancouver. Aren't there facilities in the Seattle area for drydock and repairs? Seward probably wasn't a good option....:(

Let's hope the damage isn't that extensive to warrant any action soon!

How come no one from the Vision has posted anything? Maybe no body from CC is on that cruise. If they were going to cancel the next cruise to make repairs wouldn't they have all ready done that? Looks to me that so far it is only a rumor and we know how those go on these boards.

Just don't let it upset you yet if you have an upcoming cruise. We'll learn more when pax get back.

Rick,

How come no one from the Vision has posted anything? Maybe no body from CC is on that cruise.

We are to go on the Sept. 10 saling of the Vision. I have found that no one, (or at least very, very few) posts about the Vision. I am beginning to wonder about the ship.

Jahla

Hello again! Just wanted to post a note that the Vision of the Seas did make it to the Hubbard Glacier yesterday and must have been able to rectify or patch the problem in Seward, as they appeared to be under full power with propulsion showing from both sides of the Ship's aft. Glad to report that they seem not to be too delayed and the damage, at least for now, appears fixed! Have wonderful trips to Alaska, it is very warm and beautiful in Sitka at present!!:cool:

Localady--

Thanks for the update on the Vision--sounds like good news!

Jahla,

Since you were commenting about lack of postings about the Vision, I didn't know if you'd seen the Cruiseclues Vision of the Seas page. Lots of good reviews (and links to LOTS of photos!)

http://cruiseclues.com/shipstips/visionoftheseas.htm

Most of them are very positive, so thought you'd might like to check them out. Hope this helps!

Rick,

We are to go on the Sept. 10 saling of the Vision. I have found that no one, (or at least very, very few) posts about the Vision. I am beginning to wonder about the ship.

Jahla

I've seen several threads on these forums about Vision. You could always use the search function to see what others have said recently.

It was a fine ship when we sailed her last year and I wouldn't worry about sailing on her again in the future.

The Vision Of The Seas Is A Beautiful Ship. We Have Been On Her Several Times ! An Interesting Note ! We Were On A Cunard Ship Many Years Ago And She Hit Her Propellers On Some Ice Too -- About 5 Years Later We Were On The Same Ship Going Through The Panama Canal And Were At The Captains Table --relating This Experience --- It Turns Out At The Time The Ship Hit The Ice There Was A Relief Captain On Board And It Was Never Put In The Log.

Our Captain Said " I Wondered Why The Ship Was Different " When I Came Back From Vacation !!

We Also Sailed On A Ship That Hit The Dock In St Thomas - Even After 4 Days In Port, There, For Repairs We Limped On To The Dominican Republic Where More Repairs Were Tried -- Our Ship Limped Into Miami A Week Late ( They Had Flown Outgoing And Incoming Cruisers To St Thomas) But We Stayed Aboard. It Makes For Interesting Conversations Years Later ! Have A Wonderful Cruise And Remember There Are No Bad Cruises -- Just Great Memories Of The Good Times !

Jahla:

Well, I'd be interested in hearing about your experience on Visions. We go to AK on the 13th of August. I took was wondering why there were not many posts about the ship. This will be our 1st cruise also. I guess you are cruising now (lucky). We are next.

Claudia

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=5422

Here's a link to my review of our 6/25/04 cruise on the Vision Northbound to Alaska.

On our cruise, we got 970 feet from Hubbard Glacier. The Captain said at the time that this was the closest he's ever gotten. And his goal was to get closer than the length of the ship which I believe is around 900 feet. I guess he pushed his luck and if he met his goal a couple weeks later, it was at a steep cost to RCCL. We sure liked being that close though and got some good pictures of the Glacier.

Luckily no one had to miss their next cruise from what I read on a couple of recent reviews of the Vision on this site. Both of the two new reviews were from people that were on that cruise. They said RCCL was very accommodating.

Enjoy your Alaska cruises and let me know if you have any questions about ours. We had a great time and I wish we could go back today.

I was on the Vision northbound, at the end of May, and took the Summit southbound, in the middle of June. The captain of the Summit took us in three times as close as the captain of the Vision. Maybe he was feeling the peer pressure (Vision's Capt). By the way, the day we were at Hubbard Glacier, the Ryndam was closer to the glacier, compared to the Vision. Poor guy!

All I can say, is the experience is much better if you can get close! You can hear, and see, the calving. Too bad, next year nobody will get close.

Archived